Rodents living in your chassis and air cleaner box?

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
I believe that some deterrents work to keep rodents away as long as the van was never established as a home. Once they decide on a home it is much more difficult to evict them. Most times the only real answer is eradication of the occupants to start fresh.

It took some time walking the dog past neighborhood pine trees before I figured out that the squirrels in our area were eating the seeds of pine cones. What appear to be pine cones on the ground are really only husks. I never researched squirrels eating pine cones.

vic

RVCuisineScene

I've put bags of mothballs in the engine compartment, wheel wells and hanging from the drive shaft on my van which has been and is currently being stored in rural Maine during the past two summers, so far it's worked. Takes a day or two to air out the van when I return.

Allobet

Has anyone had any luck with electric devices to repel rodents?
I have traps and sticky traps. No luck with sticky traps but snap traps have caught half a dozen mice.
I read somewhere to put snap traps on top of tires and under hood when parked..... well peanut butter was gone and trap triggered but no critter caught.
Got some electronic device but since they sent me a letter saying that if I review and give 5 stars I will get $40 gift card.... I am concerned about their business and the effectiveness of the device itself

Rock Doc

Has anyone had any luck with electric devices to repel rodents?
I have traps and sticky traps. No luck with sticky traps but snap traps have caught half a dozen mice.
I read somewhere to put snap traps on top of tires and under hood when parked..... well peanut butter was gone and trap triggered but no critter caught.
Got some electronic device but since they sent me a letter saying that if I review and give 5 stars I will get $40 gift card.... I am concerned about their business and the effectiveness of the device itself
I've used electronic repellers intermittently over the past few winters--particularly after a rat chewed through wiring at the firewall (it apparently sat on the auxiliary batteries to do his chewing); the repair absorbed $700. I subsequently had issues with another vermin bringing fir cones under the hood and dissecting them. Like LOTS of them. (It's taken me a year and a half to get the last vestiges of those fir cones out from even beside and under my fuel filter!) I've tried two different ultrasonic pest repellers, but question how well they actually work. The only true success I had was when I found a dead rat carcass lying provocatively across the driver side valve cover of my Durango, which parks outside next to my Sprinter...) Since I found that carcass, no more vermin damage to my Sprinter. (Or my Durango, for that matter!) More than anything, I think it was actually the death of that rodent that stopped it from continuing the problems. I'd be hard pressed to say the electronic repellers were 100% effective

Rock Doc
2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS in 2013 Sprinter 3500

DSM

Camp-Explore-Build...Repeat
We use Irish Spring Soap, rodents do not like the smell
My bars of Irish spring showed teeth marks in the leftovers. The little b-stards used the box from the soap and mouse poison for bedding.

The airbox and firewall insulation is very attractive to our Red Squirrels. I watched one go in and out if the grill before I could get out to check on the new van.

Must find something else less attractive to cover that black fuzz. Not worth Replacement cost and time with the factory stuff.

First vehicle I’ve ever had damaged by critters. They went for the most expensive one!

Pro777

I have had the air box insulation chewed on as well as a little of the wiring. Found a nest in the engine filter box. I am making a screen - thanks BJC! I have used a couple of the electronic mouse traps and they seem to work20210917_092226_resized.jpg, but still not 100% effective. A lot less messy, but I had to build a little box to put them in since they are not rated for use outdoors.

Poncho67

The only thing I've found to work reliably is the little green rodent bait poison bricks. They eat it and go away to die. I keep them in my garage and vehicles that sit for prolonged periods.

Aggie

2010 Roadtrek SS Ideal
They sometimes don‘t go far after dining on the little green block. A few days ago I noticed a small one lying on the frame below the air box - it was quite dehydrated - been there for weeks or possibly years ?

Top Bottom