2005 3500 dying intermittently

Lutzo

Hola,
My 2005 3500 with 130,000 is struggling currently. First time was about a week ago, stalled out after coming to a stop at a red after about 40 mins of driving. CEL came on, engines cranks but no start. Hooked up my MBII, about 6 codes came up (didn’t write them down the first time). Cleared codes, and van started up no problem. Now today. Been driving significantly all week. It’s hot, about 90F, first time really driving in this heat. Same thing, died at red light. At first, code reader couldn’t access the ECU. After disconnecting and reconnecting battery, no start (cranks fine), hey code reader to connect. Following codes show:
P2045
ICB-1040-000 - Can communication of ECM faulty
TDC 26-00 - Seat occupies plausibility error
P1817-002 - Revwraing light has short circuit
P240A- Can fault engine speed from ECM is implausible
HZRB 1004-008 - Not in database
Cleared codes. Van fires up after about 15 minutes on side of road
15 mins later, same thing at red light. No connectivity with MBII
Get towed, get to tow yard, van starts up.
Trying to save on the $500 tow back home, try and drive 1 more time, van makes it about 15 mins, dies while driving at about 45 mph. End up getting towed. Van will start, warms up, and dies.
Any ideas? Thinking camhaft sensor or wire harness issue. Going to go through with a multimeter tomorrow, but electrical is something I have next to no experience with. Thanks guys

Lutzo

I cut back the covering over the harness - the covering itself definitely had some abrasion, but the wires looked insulated.

Lutzo

I also did a leak off check on the injectors, all were fine except for #5, which was right at the limit of fuel in the hose. Not sure if that’s indicative of a completely failed injector? My impression was that indicated it was still working, just on its way out

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I don't think the CAM shaft sensor will kill the engine when driving.
The CRANK shaft sensor can/will.

They're synchronized at the start, but i don't know if it cares after that.

--dick

jrod5150

I don't think the CAM shaft sensor will kill the engine when driving.
The CRANK shaft sensor can/will.

They're synchronized at the start, but i don't know if it cares after that.

--dick
Was going to suggest the OP starts with the p2045 but then thought the same thing you typed. I don’t think it could cause a stall out. Ive had the harness shorted on a Van that wouldn’t start unless wiggled and drove it 400 miles and it never shut off.

Op-after rethinking it, being that there is a cam code I think I’d still start there.

Top Bottom