Instrument Cluster changed - now ABS, ESP, Traction lights

bluerain

'08 dodge sprinter 2500 long/tall
2004 sprinter, mechanic was trying to check fuel gauge sending, poking into wires to the sending unit and POOF instrument cluster smoked and went out. Van wouldn't do anything. Got a used Instrument cluster and they put it in, but from that moment, no ABS brakes, ABS, ESP, and Traction lights are on all the time. Drives fine, shifts fine, full power, but just old school non abs braking.

Does there need to be some kind of reset/reprogram done when the instrument cluster is changed? He thinks it does, but doesn't have the programming tool for that. Is that right? Didn't want to go get charged at any of the places around here if that's not the likely case...

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

jrod5150

Can’t recode clusters. Once programmed they are locked. If the lights are on then you have a parameterization mismatch. The cluster you bought doesn’t match the coding in the other modules that are matched with your original

bluerain

Thanks Jrod. So there's no way to make this cluster work with the other modules? Is there any solution to get my abs etc back?

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Thanks Jrod. So there's no way to make this cluster work with the other modules? Is there any solution to get my abs etc back?
First you need to figure out why those lights are on. The problem can be somewhere else and not in the instrument cluster. Check fuses and the brake light switch at the brake pedal. Does the person that is working on the van have access to a scanner that reads the ESP trouble codes?

Second, it is possible to use an instrument cluster from another T1N on yours. The miles can be corrected and everything, but it requires for instrument cluster to be completely taken apart and the chip removed from the board, and read with a programmer such as Orange 5, and the memory corrected after that. Not a simple process and not a lot of people that can do it.

220817a

Can’t recode clusters. Once programmed they are locked. If the lights are on then you have a parameterization mismatch. The cluster you bought doesn’t match the coding in the other modules that are matched with your original
It is possible but it is not easy on T1N. The instrument cluster has to be taken apart. On NCV3 is a lot easier since the memory dump is accessible through the OBD2 port. A cheap programmer such as fvdi will read and write the cluster. After you have the dump, you can send it to someone that will 0 out the miles and remove the personalization from the memory. After that you write the modified memory back and Instrument cluster will be like brand new and ready to be personalized to a different vehicle.

jrod5150

You could talk to SOS I believe he can unlock clusters and rewrite. Your other option would be to find a cluster from a donor van that matches yours

lindenengineering

Yes
I can confirm^^^
If you can find a cluster from a similar wheelbase it will be just plug 'n play --BUT odometer will say as doner van sourced reading.
SOS will re-prog any cluster (at least that is what I have got from customer feedbacks.
Dennis

Last edited:

220817a

Another way it can be done is for you to find an used instrument cluster with lower miles than yours, and use DAS with developer mode to correct the mileage. DAS will allow you to go forward with the mileage, but not back... To correct the mileage going back (-), a process that I described above will have to be done and since it is impossible to read the T1N's instrument cluster externally, the cluster will have to be taken apart, and the chip removed from the board for reading and correction.

jrod5150

Another way it can be done is for you to find an used instrument cluster with lower miles than yours, and use DAS with developer mode to correct the mileage. DAS will allow you to go forward with the mileage, but not back... To correct the mileage going back (-), a process that I described above will have to be done and since it is impossible to read the T1N's instrument cluster externally, the cluster will have to be taken apart, and the chip removed from the board for reading and correction.
Thanks that's great info!! I never knew you could do that in developer mode. Iv'e been meaning to do some testing with the developer settings on a spare ecm but just haven't made the time. Is there a way to match a used ECM to a WSP module in there? Ive tried rewriting the vin but no luck. What else you got in your developer mode bag of trick there Dima? :unsure: ;)

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There is also the T21 recall issue ... if you have had the recall performed, an old 2004 IC (instrument cluster) will not operate properly (but with different symptoms than yours) ... basically it won't "shut down" at first key removal. You need to cycle the key a 2nd time to get it to sleep.

There are two different ICs selected by wheelbase ... the long wheelbase gets one, the two shorter wheelbases get the other.
(that's even within the original non-recalled 2004s).

Since the T21 recall requires a newer IC, MB has run out of "new" ICs. Hence the recall program has paused for 2004s.
This also has consequences for 2005 and 2006, since there are now no new spares for them, either.

--dick

bluerain

Wow, awesome information guys!

This is a 2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 170ext. So if I tracked down an IC from another 170wb it should function?
I'm pretty sure there's no other problem, that it's just IC. I don't think the IC we got was from a 170wb.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Yes, that should work. I suggest a 2500 donor. Not all 3500s had esp, and I am not certain if that mismatch will pose a problem. If you confirm that option, it would be fine though.

Last edited:

jrod5150

Wow, awesome information guys!

This is a 2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 170ext. So if I tracked down an IC from another 170wb it should function?
I'm pretty sure there's no other problem, that it's just IC. I don't think the IC we got was from a 170wb.
Something I missed that Autostaretx mentioned you have a 2004. Do you know if your van has had the T21 Recall? If it has then you should buy a 2005/2006 Cluster so you wont have to deal with the cluster staying on after your key off. If it hasnt then you can buy a used 2004 cluster that matches your original part number. Needs to be from a 158wb. 170wb is 2007+. Not sure personally about 3500s vs 2500s because I dont work on or sell 3500s

220817a

Thanks that's great info!! I never knew you could do that in developer mode. Iv'e been meaning to do some testing with the developer settings on a spare ecm but just haven't made the time. Is there a way to match a used ECM to a WSP module in there? Ive tried rewriting the vin but no luck. What else you got in your developer mode bag of trick there Dima? :unsure: ;)
No... You can't pair a used ECU to a used WSP module, especially with DAS or Xentry. Not even dealers can do that... The only way to do it is to virginize (erase the personalization and activation of the module). The cheapest tool that I came across and tried it is the CGDI MB Key programmer. For about $600 you can get this tool and it will virginize CR4/CR6/CR60 ECUs. CR4 can be virginize over the OBD2 port but CR6 and up only externally on pins with internet connection. The tool has token limitation, one per day. XHORSE is another tool that will virginize different controls modules and AVDI (not the Chinese FVDI). As far as WSP module, it can be virginize manually, but it requires to be taken apart (or at least that is how it used to be) and the chip read with a programmer such as Orange 5.

If such modifications are of interest to you, I'm not encouraging you or telling you to do it since some do mind on this forum, I'm simply giving you a piece of information, you can check out the mhhauto forum, there you will find people that do such modifications and you'll have access to some softwares.

The other thing you can do is to learn how to use Vediamo and DTC Manaco.

Last edited:

jrod5150

No... You can't pair a used ECU to a used WSP module, especially with DAS or Xentry. Not even dealers can do that... The only way to do it is to virginize (erase the personalization and activation of the module). The cheapest tool that I came across and tried it is the CGDI MB Key programmer. For about $600 you can get this tool and it will virginize CR4/CR6/CR60 ECUs. CR4 can be virginize over the OBD2 port but CR6 and up only externally on pins with internet connection. The tool has token limitation, one per day. XHORSE is another tool that will virginize different controls modules and AVDI (not the Chinese FVDI). As far as WSP module, it can be virginize manually, but it requires to be taken apart (or at least that is how it used to be) and the chip read with a programmer such as Orange 5.

If such modifications are of interest to you, I'm not encouraging you or telling you to do it since some do mind on this forum, I'm simply giving you a piece of information, you can check out the mhhauto forum, there you will find people that do such modifications and you'll have access to some softwares.

The other thing you can do is to learn how to use Vediamo and DTC Manaco.
Thanks for the information. That should keep me busy reading for awhile :ROFLMAO:

Do you have any experience in resyncing fobs? The only issue I can see in the data is the “counter valid” pid in wsp won’t change from “no” to “yes” on a van with a fob issue

220817a

Thanks for the information. That should keep me busy reading for awhile :ROFLMAO:

Do you have any experience in resyncing fobs? The only issue I can see in the data is the “counter valid” pid in wsp won’t change from “no” to “yes” on a van with a fob issue
Sorry... Don't have any experience with synchronizing of fobs or programming. The only thing that I know about it is that, a key can be cloned in DAS, but it requires a FDOK calculator with X1 and X2 calculations to complete the programming of the key.

As far as mhhauto, yes, if you are not a member, you don't have the option to search the forum and it will take you a good while to read everything. You can email the administrator of the forum and he will guide you through the process of becoming a member. After that you will be able to search, discuss and download...

bluerain

Ok, found same size van, has traction control, but it's 2006. Should that cluster be ok to change to?

Top Bottom