RECALL: 2019 Freightliner/Mercedes Benz - SPRINTER (VS30) Front Seat Wiring Harnesses Routed Incorrectly

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
NHTSA Recall ID Number :​
20V322
Manufacturer :​
Daimler Vans USA, LLC
Subject :​
Front Seat Wiring Harnesses Routed Incorrectly
Make​
Model​
Model Years​
FREIGHTLINER​
SPRINTER (VS30)​
2019​
MERCEDES BENZ​
SPRINTER (VS30)​
2019​

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Details on that: All Sprinters built Oct 2018 thru Feb 27, 2020:

June 3, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V322000
Front Seat Wiring Harnesses Routed Incorrectly
If the wiring harness is damaged, the side air bag within the seat may deploy inadvertently or not deploy as designed in the event of a crash, increasing the risk of injury to vehicle occupants.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V322000
Manufacturer Daimler Vans USA, LLC
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, AIR BAGS, SEATS
Potential Number of Units Affected 11,013
Summary
Daimler Vans USA, LLC (DVUSA) is recalling certain 2019 Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner Spinter vans (platform 970 (VS30)), equipped with swivel seats. The wiring harnesses for the front seats may have been routed incorrectly and could become jammed and damaged in the swivel seat frames.

(from PDF (attached):
Based on the identification of a production error and analysis of the production information, the affected population was determined to be Sprinter vehicles (VS30, Platform 907) produced from October 31, 2018 to May 6, 2020. Vehicles outside of the scope of the population were delivered with a routing and mounting of the front seat wiring harness according to specifications.

Remedy
DVUSA will notify owners, and an authorized Mercedes-Benz or Freightliner Sprinter dealer will inspect the wire harness routing for both front seats and will repair the wiring and add clips or cable ties as needed, free of charge. This recall is expected to begin July 17, 2020. Owners may contact DVUSA customer service at 1-877-762-8267. DVUSA's number for this recall is VS3DREHSIK.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
----------------
The official paperwork:

Attachments

Jupiter_Shrugged

Junebug vs. Hurricane
My van has been to the dealer twice for this - Once to "fix" it and back again for repairs after the rerouted wiring was pinched in the seat swivel mechanism - Needless to say, I was disappointed.

Eric B

I had already received a letter advising me of the recall earlier this summer, after @Winterbagoal had initially posted about it, but now have just received another letter saying the recall is still outstanding on my van, but that "parts were not yet available" and that I would be contacted at a later date when they would ... wtf ?

I called the local dealer to discuss, they wouldn't make an appointment, and I felt like the service rep had no idea what the recall entailed...
He was pretty nonchalant about it, told me to drop it off in the morning, but won't provide a loaner ...
Don't want to end up in a situation where they hold on to the van indefinitely ...

Going to continue to stay away for now, and do a visual check on the wiring before I swivel either chair around in the future...

<sigh> ...

Jupiter_Shrugged

Junebug vs. Hurricane
I did get my van back from the dealer after they repaired the pinched wires.

I have to say, the new routing does NOT look like it will prevent future issues at all. I will most definitely be keeping an eye on things... Potentially, adding additional protection and securing things better.

@Eric B Yes - I'd recommend proceeding with caution. When they do fix your van, have a good look at the repairs that were done.

windsurfskimtb

Just got my van back from McCoy Freightliner in Portland OR. The fix for the swivel seat seems worse than the original wire getting pinched. What they did is to secure the wire cable with a clip and a couple of wire ties. Unfortunately, the ties restrict the cable so much that when the seat is moved forward the wires pull on the connecter under the seat stopping the seat from moving the last 3 notches forward. If the seat were to be moved forward forcefully the wires would break! The cable could be secured with more slack next to the wire connector but that isn't what they did.

Jupiter_Shrugged

Junebug vs. Hurricane
Everything about this sux... As I said in the other thread I started to inform (whine) about this issue, my van has been to the dealer four times to "fix" this issue.

Top Bottom