Best window covers?

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Thanks for this info and suggestion. I’m a little baffled then—does no one has a windshield cover that will support itself and not sag (with or without sun visors, that’s not important to me), regardless of temp?
I have the fully insulated front window shade from www.xplroutfitters.com. It comes with internal battens that keep it from sagging. You do need to use the sun visors to hold it in place. Takes a few seconds to install or remove and it folds up nicely. Does a great job at keeping the sun’s heat out of the van in the summer.

canyoneer

2017 144 High Roof
Thanks for this info and suggestion. I’m a little baffled then—does no one has a windshield cover that will support itself and not sag (with or without sun visors, that’s not important to me), regardless of temp?
Mine stays up on its own, without needing the sun visors. Used fiberglass rods (from an umbrella) along with magnets sewn into the edging. Then placed magnets underneath the edges of the black rear-view mirror trim cover, and steel tape along the uppermost edge of the windshield.IMG_8366.jpg

Ripplewear

Yes I make one that is supported with fiberglass rods that are sewn into channels in the windshield curtain. Insulated with Low e. Please check ripplewearcurtains.com Thanks!

Ripplewear

I have ripplewear. She's really nice, will customize, reasonable prices and great quality.
I got additional thinsulate and no trouble camping in an ice storm in Olympic Valley.
Thanks for the endorsement! Please check ripplewearcurtains.com

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Just got my new window covers from Quest Overland today. They are BEAUTIFUL!
Very nice quality, attention to detail and great looks. One reason I went with quest overland is if you have CRL side windows you can get the shades with the accommodation for the vent feature of the CRL‘s. So the shade can fold up to let air flow in. Also for the front cab door windows if you have the drop in window screen vents you can get an accommodation for those as well. I highly recommend Quest Overland window shades. ????

Re The front windshield shade staying up on its own you have to realize it’s that huge piece of glass on a sprinter windshield. So it’s a huge window shade! So it’s going to have some weight. That said you just need to set up some of the industrial strength hook and loop (not normal velcro) at the very top edge of your windshield and shade and just press it on. Or use the superstrong diawhatevertheycallit magnets.

Last edited:

Eric B

I put my order in back in mid-June and at the time Paul said I'd have them early August.
He shipped them yesterday and I am due to receive them on Saturday - that's August 1 - talk about precision timing !!

-e

warx

So... since all the pictures from all these manufacturers are from the inside do they all use a black exterior cover (stealth) or have the low-e/reflectix on the outside for summer use? I suppose the black is better overall and then for daytime summer use you can trap a simple cut of something reflective in there.

I am tempted to try to make my own just b/c I have a bunch of thinsulate, minicell and yards of marathon tweed fabric left over. Seems like a lot of work though.

drodio

"Avalanche" • 2022 170" Ext Cargo 4x4
We really enjoyed our Ripplewear in the last fan. Jane is really responsive too. Ordering a new set for the new van right now!

Eric B

Hey all

So I had a minor issue come up with the window covers I got from Paul over at www.xplroutfitters.com
It would have been an easy fix, so I sent him an email and we got to talking ... the solution he offered was beyond anything I could have imagined - it blew my mind ! I am SUPER IMPRESSED with his customer service ...

I've already purchased windshield, front doors, slider, and rear door covers, but when I start cutting large holes in my cargo sheetmetal for bed windows and a fan, I will be going back to Paul for more 4season covers without a doubt!!!

Thank you thank you thank you !

_Zach

•͡˘㇁•͡˘
So... since all the pictures from all these manufacturers are from the inside do they all use a black exterior cover (stealth) or have the low-e/reflectix on the outside for summer use? I suppose the black is better overall and then for daytime summer use you can trap a simple cut of something reflective in there.
I recently ordered a set from Paul @ Xplr and selected black for the exterior, even though I'm in the Southeast. I rationalized this because I'll be adding ceramic tint with high IR and solar gain rejection. Also, I found anecdotal data that talked about car interior colors and heat gain which seem to conclude that darker color interiors get only marginally warmer than lighter ones. The tint should equalize this even further.

I am tempted to try to make my own just b/c I have a bunch of thinsulate, minicell and yards of marathon tweed fabric left over. Seems like a lot of work though.
My wife and I sewed curtains for our Westfalia Vanagon. They were single layer cloth and not insulated. Insulated would be a bit more complicated, but certainly doable. It is very time consuming to sew yourself, but I don't think it's rocket science. For me, I think it just comes down to the amount of free time vs discretionary cash you have, and whether or not you want to make your own as a fun project. For the Sprinter, we needed curtains quickly, and I don't currently have the time to make a set. I have no doubt that I'll be happy with Paul's when they come in, and that they'll be of a higher quality than I could have made myself. (Even though I was really happy with how our Westy curtains came out!)

Top Bottom