Thoughts on tires? Width?

riabreed011

It’s been a while since we had a Roadtrek specific tire thread, and I’m curious as to what people are putting on their rigs.

I’ve run my 2007 Agile (on a 2006 Sprinter 2500 chassis) with the recommended tire size - LT225/75R16 (with beefed up shocks and sway bar add ons) - for 10 years. The tires have always seemed very skinny to me for the extra weight of the conversion.

When I checked TireRack tires yesterday, the search tool recommended LT245/75R16.

Is anyone else running the slightly wider tires? Are they standard now? I know the Roadtrek has a pretty narrow wheel well - any problems with scraping on the turns?

I’ve used Michelins for pretty much 30 years on all our vehicles. If anyone has found better tires or has encountered problems with Michelin’s, I’d love to know.

Thanks, everybody! In these Covid 19 days we are lucky to have the safest way of getting across the country that I can think of. Happy traveling and stay safe!

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I’ve run my 2007 Agile (on a 2006 Sprinter 2500 chassis) with the recommended tire size - LT225/75R16 ...

When I checked TireRack tires yesterday, the search tool recommended LT245/75R16.
Is your 2006 a T1N or an NCV3?

IIRC this is where the difference comes in.

Keith.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Here you go, you asked the same question, and answered it yourself, way back in 2011...

And in that post you confirmed you have a T1N.

Keith.

riabreed011

Ah, an aging or challenged mind is a dangerous thing! 🤓 Thank you for doing the research I obviously failed to do this time time..fwiw, I went with the Michelin Agilis Crosscountry and found the ride smoother but the sprinter more skittery on the road than with the previous Michelin model, the M/S.

Last edited:

riabreed011

What does Skittery mean ?
A little lighter on the road surface going over bumps, moves a little more on the road in wind gusts compared to the previous Michelins.

When I switched, my old tires had 40k on them and were 6 years old. Perhaps with less thread/aging materials there was more contact with road surface, hence less responsiveness to bumps/cracks/wind? i’m really just guessing here....

Aragu36

A little lighter on the road surface going over bumps, moves a little more on the road in wind gusts compared to the previous Michelins.

When I switched, my old tires had 40k on them and were 6 years old. Perhaps with less thread/aging materials there was more contact with road surface, hence less responsiveness to bumps/cracks/wind? i’m really just guessing here....
I just bought a set $900 at Costco installed
I see what you mean
I do think they are a shorter in width
I had continential snow tires only got 20 k out of them

Top Bottom