Powered Skylight/ Vent on Profile

RonS49

Hello all. First post here. I purchased a 2013 Winnebago View Profile in December of 2019. The dealer ( Lazy Days in Tampa) replaced the powered skylight because the old one did not function. We don't get to many hard rains in Florida in January but we got on hard enough for me to see I had a small leak in the newly replaced vent. The drips were coming from the area of the power button. I have been keeping an eye on this since we now have entered our rainy season. Noticed same thing on during a fairly moderate shower. Crawled up on the roof a immediately saw a very shoddy sealing job. Sent pics to the dealer and they agreed and resealed the vent. Still drips on harder rain. I pulled the interior frame down to try and isolate the area better. Sure enough, saw moisture on passenger side at the roof line. My question is should I go up and put more sealant around the leaky area? It makes me wonder if everything was installed correctly in the first place. I hate the thought pulling the vent out and reinstalling it myself. Have any one of you ran into or heard of this? I can't even find who makes the unit. Thanks much in advance. Ron

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
Makes me wonder what they used for sealant when they installed your vent??

The industry standard for RV roof repairs and installations is Dicor brand Self Leveling Roof Sealant. If they used caulk or some sort of silicone, you're probably going to be chasing leaks for the next several years

If it was mine I would get up there with a putty knife and remove it all and reseal it with Dicor - You can buy it from Amazon or probably get it from most RV retail stores. You squirt it on with a caulking gun and then it stays pretty liquid for the first few hours and works it's way into any voids. Eventually it turns into rubber and you may need a second application if it looks too thin in any area

Hope this helps,

Don

RonS49

Thanks Don. That is about where I am at with it now. I did call Winnebago tech service and they emailed me a PDF of all the sealants used on my View. I googled the part number for the sealant around the vent and bought some. Looks like a dicor type product to me. I will have at it when the monsoons stop lol. Ron

Top Bottom