T1N sprinter deceleration noise vibration

Vladdy1one

I have full list services on my 2005 sprinter. Wanted to see if someone had actually found a solution to a noise vibration while deceleration slowing down.

- Transmission was rebuild in the shop (full rebuild)
- 3 piece drive shaft replaced - purchased brand new.
- rear end axle differential replaced - with 60k miles on new diff.
- Engine and transmission mounts replaced.
- alignment balanced. Plus many more other stuff.

Any clues? Thank you

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
This vibration we call RSN for Rumble Strip Noise, cause by excess pressure in the torque convertor, with no known mechanical risk of damage, just noise annoyance.
If the transmission was rebuilt it should have had a replacement of a solenoid valve of an upgraded design and superceeded part number from the original solenoid for the TC.
It has been solved previously by a small hole drilling inside on the solenoid's plate to relieve pressure, more info searching the acronym DARF .
A few have had time-limited success refilling transmission with new oil meeting specs MB236.14 or MB236.12 or Shell 134.
If the oil was the wrong spec, or the solenoid was not replaced with the newest one, this could be the reason for your RSN.

Last edited:

Vladdy1one

Here’s the full list of transmission service. Can you tell me whether or not solenoid is part of this list? If so, they should have it replaced back then. Thank you.

QUOTE="NelsonSprinter, post: 885997, member: 11354"]
This vibration we call RSN for Rumble Strip Noise, cause by excess pressure in the torque convertor, with no known mechanical risk of damage, just noise annoyance.
If the transmission was rebuilt it should have had a replacement of a solenoid valve of an upgraded design and superceeded part number from the original solenoid for the TC.
It has been solved previously by a small hole drilling inside on the solenoid's plate to relieve pressure, more info searching the acronym DARF .
A few have had time-limited success refilling transmission with new oil meeting specs MB236.14 or MB236.12 or Shell 134.
If the oil was the wrong spec, or the solenoid was not replaced with the newest one, this could be the reason for your RSN.
[/QUOTE]7C5225B5-D402-452D-B04C-9D8F427DE561.png

Last edited by a moderator:

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
to my untrained eye it is part of the shift / upgrade kit, but I'm not a mechanic, just relaying info learned here over the years.
I wish they had specified what fluid they used.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
RSN typically only presents in 3/4/5th gear during light throttle deceleration. Is this consistent with your experience?

What fluid was the trans filled with? Not ATF4 right?

Surf44

2004 158 2500
Im about to do a transmission fluid and filter change, thinking I should change this solenoid if I can, could you tell me the part number or where to buy the superseded solenoid?

Vladdy1one

RSN noise vibration while deceleration - solved! I drilled a hole inside on the solenoid's plate to relieve pressure! Transmission started to shift smoother and overall very impressed!!

Vladdy1one

Im about to do a transmission fluid and filter change, thinking I should change this solenoid if I can, could you tell me the part number or where to buy the superseded solenoid?
I’ve attached picture what oil fluid I used recommended for Mercedes transmission on sprinters. And solenoid plate where I drilled small hole to release pressure caused the vibration and shudder noise.

Attachments

timbriggs

Issue solved! Plus I recommend the right transmission fluid. Pics attached in this forum
I am having bad RSN on a 2006 T1N - I don't know when the last time the tran fluid was changed so ordered a kit of Ravinoil M-9 because if im doing it i would like to do it with the stuff that MB says works. I am ready to drill the pin hole but am a little worried. were their any side effects? is it possible just to fix/replace the solenoid?

Vladdy1one

I am having bad RSN on a 2006 T1N - I don't know when the last time the tran fluid was changed so ordered a kit of Ravinoil M-9 because if im doing it i would like to do it with the stuff that MB says works. I am ready to drill the pin hole but am a little worried. were their any side effects? is it possible just to fix/replace the solenoid?

I did mention - rsn vibration noise went away after drilling a hole on solenoid plate to release the excessive pressure and change transmission oil to the right one. See my successful results video:

jrod5150

Great - I guess if it doesn't I can always just drain the clean fluid drill the hole and then pour it back in, making sure it is still clean of course.
It’s a lot of extra work to not just drill the hole when you have the pan down. Fluid changes and all amounts of cleaning the valve body/shift solenoids will not totally eliminate it. I always clean as much as I can but when they have rsn I just drill the hole if the pan is down. It not only removes the rsn they just shift so much smoother overall

Top Bottom