Oil leak in prospective T1N

c.matthew

Hello, thanks for humoring my first post.

I'm looking to buy a (cheapish) van to make into a camper and saw a pretty good 2004 Sprinter today. The mileage was pretty good but something that slightly put me off was an oil leak from a few years ago in it's MOT which didn't appear to have been fixed. Apologies as I don't know enough about engines to guess (but just about enough to know this is a very broad question) but are there any usual suspects for oil leaks on these models?

Thanks so much for the help.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Hi and welcome from a fellow Brit as you're obviously in the UK!

Which engine is in this T1N, the four cylinder or five cylinder, and what year is it?

BTW the engine will either be an OM611 4 cylinder or OM612 5 cylinder.

Keith.

PS And any clues as to where the oil leak is? Left or Right side of engine?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Oooh, a guessing game. But yeah, if you can give us the general location, and the engine type, we can probably narrow it down for you. There are several common seep/leak spots. Most are not intensive to repair. Some less common ones can cost a bit to fix, such as a rear main seal, turbo oil lines, etc.

In addition air leaks from the turbo system can spray a fine oil mist all over, which often looks a lot worse that it is.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
So somewhere around or behind the oil filter and oil cooler.

I don't really know of any leak sources other than filter/cooler to suggest I'm afraid. Could you try cleaning it off with maybe a can of WD40 and a rag and then run it?

Keith.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The power steering can leak a fair bit if the hose clamp gets loose, or its overfilled. But the most likely leak is the oil filter cap or the oil cooler gasket. Remember that the oil filter cap has an O ring on it, and its not unusual for someone to forget to replace it, or even get it pinched during an oil change.

Last edited:

c.matthew

Thanks so much for the replies! Unfortunately I don't own it yet so can't check in too much detail. I might try go back today and get some pictures though...

Would either of the oil filter cap or cooler gasket be extortionate to replace?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Would either of the oil filter cap or cooler gasket be extortionate to replace?
The oil filter cap would be as simple as replacing the filter. A new filter would come with the necessary 'O' rings, just be sure to place the top (largest) 'O' ring in the correct groove. And use the correct tool to remove the plastic housing, DO NOT use a strap wrench on it!

I'm not sure about the cooler gasket, there are T1N service manuals on DIY Sprinter, link in my signature below.

Keith.

Csansom001

2003 High Top 158in
The oil filter cap would be as simple as replacing the filter. A new filter would come with the necessary 'O' rings, just be sure to place the top (largest) 'O' ring in the correct groove. And use the correct tool to remove the plastic housing, DO NOT use a strap wrench on it!

I'm not sure about the cooler gasket, there are T1N service manuals on DIY Sprinter, link in my signature below.

Keith.
For anyone who happens upon this thread, just helped a friend replace their oil cooler and gasket for an 06 (02-06 all same). You will lose about 2 gallons of coolant haphazardly if you just pull the hose off. We were able to catch most of it but in the future, draining the radiator might be the move beforehand (as the manual states lol). You’ll also lose half a quart of oil. Additionally it is blind wrenching getting those bolts. Slow and steady and tedious but doable. We were able to fit a small torque wrench back there. Additionally, getting the gasket to stay was tedious but doable.

Manual with torque specs attached.

Attachments

sailquik

C. mathew,
Is it leaking now, or did this show up on a past MOT inspection?
If it's still currently leaking and it's the oil filter, often the large O-Ring gets put
in the wrong (the first one down from the seat/flange) groove and it leaks.
O-Ring goes in the 2nd groove (the one that's got a full seat around the entire diameter
and a tiny leak off seat on the inner o-ring seat.
Simple to fix, just get the correct filter can socket, remove the filter, change the filter and
get the gasket in the right groove/slot and replenish about a quart of oil.
The oil cooler, as suggested, is a much bigger job and you may need some special tools.
Any main MB Truck dealer should be able to do the cooler for not too much cost.
Roger

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Additionally, getting the gasket to stay was tedious but doable.
Sorry to offer advice after the deed is done, but a smear of assembly grease to the back of the rubber gasket will hold it in place in the grooves while you place the cooler onto the side of the engine block and start the bolts.

-dave

Top Bottom