Roof rack with rear factory air?

iksro

What is everyone using or planning on using in conjunction with the factory air? Im not sure if the modular options from Aluminess or the Flatline Vanco options will work. Looking to put solar, crossbars to carry gear when needed, light bar, AND take the space for a Maxxair fan right in the middle...

5DEE0AE7-E403-4231-9A69-5A9DE38FBED4.jpeg

iksro

Flat line van co rack for me. Not much space left but I intend on building a “cat walk” platform over the rear AC and a front higher load bar to allow for carrying a canoe when needed. Overall its a decent rack for the price.
@Ukekim what are you standing on in the picture lol? For your catwalk idea....thinking about using 80/20 and then a fairing to push air over it? Thats actually a pretty good idea because thats a lot of space thats missing solar collection. Now you really got me thinking......

Ukekim

Actually standing on one of the 8020 crossbars That flat line van co uses. . I’ll either use 8020 or just weld up some steel crossbars for the catwalk.

Onefin

No A/C for me, but I 100% love my flatline low pro rack.
Easy to install.
Tons of adjustability with the crossbars.
Doesn’t weigh more than 50#.
I like the simple and clean look.

cometman

No A/C for me, but I 100% love my flatline low pro rack.
Easy to install.
Tons of adjustability with the crossbars.
Doesn’t weigh more than 50#.
I like the simple and clean look.
Do you have much wind noise with the flatline low pro rack?

I3uller

Roambuilt can do A/C cutouts but from my experience I wouldn't bother if you actually want a roof rack. I'd recommend Flatline. Great customer service.

cacaw

What is everyone using or planning on using in conjunction with the factory air?
Have you removed the plastic cowling from the air conditioner? I'm wondering how much extra space could be gained if it were modified.

iksro

Have you removed the plastic cowling from the air conditioner? I'm wondering how much extra space could be gained if it were modified.
@cacaw I havent yet but once I have my roof rack on and can work more easily on the roof I will. I doubt it will be a lot of real estate saved by modifying it but who know, maybe

cacaw

@iksro is that a HP AC on your roof? I have an HP AC on my roof and would like to add a roof rack.
Don't the two rooftop condensers (regular rear AC and HP AC) look the same? I thought the only difference was an additional compressor under the hood.

iksro

Don't the two rooftop condensers (regular rear AC and HP AC) look the same? I thought the only difference was an additional compressor under the hood.
@cacaw yea I think you are correct, its just the output being the difference. I ordered a flatlinevanco roof rack and an aluminess ladder coming my way and will start the work on the roof so that way I am only pulling down that headliner once. Or so I say haha

buildyourown

Flat line van co rack for me. Not much space left but I intend on building a “cat walk” platform over the rear AC and a front higher load bar to allow for carrying a canoe when needed. Overall its a decent rack for the price.
Can you confirm what adapter you used to mount your fan? Looking to buy the impact products one and I thought your picture confirmed the common front location will clear the A/C duct on the ceiling, but now i see they make an adapter that fits over the ribs as well. Obviously want to get this right on the first try and there isn't much to measure off of.

Stephenie

@iksro Will that Aluminess ladder fit with the fvc rack? I have the rack and flares, but it looks like the ladder mounts to the factory rails right where the two halves of the fvc rack come together. Was going to buy the FVC ladder but it’s been out of stock for a while m

iksro

@Stephenie it should still mount no problem but you will need to mount it offset slightly so you can have the mounting position available in the factory roof rails. My Aluminess rack is on back order so I cant show you mine until I get it....

Ukekim

Can you confirm what adapter you used to mount your fan? Looking to buy the impact products one and I thought your picture confirmed the common front location will clear the A/C duct on the ceiling, but now i see they make an adapter that fits over the ribs as well. Obviously want to get this right on the first try and there isn't much to measure off of.
Sorry for late reply, I got the impact products one. Well made and did the trick

Top Bottom