Can I get some opinion about Ford Transit?[About to buy]

Hi, I have a 2007 dodge sprinter, and I have felt that maintaining cost for sprinter is too high for me.
And I’m thinking to buy a new transit van
I know this is sprinter forum. However I guess there are many sprinter owners in this forum who also know well about Transit.
I would be appreciated if you give give me some answers for my questions.
Please understand that there are many dumb questions :)

In the Ford web site, I saw there are couple of option to build Transit.
I want a cargo van with high roof. And there are many things that I’m not sure what I need to select.
If it is very obvious, just tell me to go with A or B.
  1. I’m thinking to buy either long or extended. Can I park Long/extended Transit in public parking? I like extended because I can load more stuff. However I think parking can be challenge with extended.
  2. Engine: What is the main different between PFDI and EcoBoost, and what I should go with?
  3. RWD or AWD. I live in California. No snow.. So I guess RWD is okay. What do you think?
  4. Rear Axle Ratio?? Can you let me know which Ratio is the best?
  5. When I went to Ford dealer, he told me that they can buy back my old car.(Updated: I just talk with him. He told me it is just rebate) I have 2004 Chevy express 3500, and 2007 sprinter 3500 diesel with 14’ box. Is it good idea to sell my car to dealer? Will they pay good $? I got a mail from dodge dealer also couple years ago saying that they want to buy my old sprinter. Both of them didn't see my sprinter yet. So they might not buy my cars. Can you let me know the best way to sell old sprinter?
  6. Must have options. Are there an options that I have to have?
  7. Is it buyer’s market or seller’s market for Transit? Are there many inventory in dealers, or do I have to wait to get it? Is it better to wait couple months to get better deal? For Corona virus, I guess it is buyer's market.
  8. What is the best deal that I can get? I went one dealer, and he gave me 0% interest rate.
If there are any other thing that I have consider, please let me know.

BTW, I found the price different between Sprinter and Transit is not that much.
So If you think sprinter is better than Transit, I can change my mind.
So let me know whatever you think!

Thank you!

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Member "Graphite Dave" sold his Sprinter and bought a Transit, he's still active.
Member "flman" still has his T1N as a camper, but bought a Transit when his NCV3 spun a bearing.

Private messages to them might get a response (Graphite Dave has posted many things about his Transit ... and he did a swap-over from his Sprinter RV conversion to the Transit with numerous photos here in the Forum)

--dick

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Can you get 22 mpg from Ford?
Dealer will never pay you much for trade-in.
But you will lower your tax when you do so and hard to beat luxury of avoiding tire kickers.
Buying new you can choose options that fits you, while saving money on options that you don't need. I did that with my F350 and really love the truck that fits my needs like a glove.
Good luck on your shopping.

danski0224

Hi, I have a 2007 dodge sprinter, and I have felt that maintaining cost for sprinter is too high for me.
And I’m thinking to buy a new transit van
I know this is sprinter forum. However I guess there are many sprinter owners in this forum who also know well about Transit.
I would be appreciated if you give give me some answers for my questions.
Please understand that there are many dumb questions :)

In the Ford web site, I saw there are couple of option to build Transit.
I want a cargo van with high roof. And there are many things that I’m not sure what I need to select.
If it is very obvious, just tell me to go with A or B.
  1. I’m thinking to buy either long or extended. Can I park Long/extended Transit in public parking? I like extended because I can load more stuff. However I think parking can be challenge with extended.
  2. Engine: What is the main different between PFDI and EcoBoost, and what I should go with?
  3. RWD or AWD. I live in California. No snow.. So I guess RWD is okay. What do you think?
  4. Rear Axle Ratio?? Can you let me know which Ratio is the best?
  5. When I went to Ford dealer, he told me that they can buy back my old car.(Updated: I just talk with him. He told me it is just rebate) I have 2004 Chevy express 3500, and 2007 sprinter 3500 diesel with 14’ box. Is it good idea to sell my car to dealer? Will they pay good $? I got a mail from dodge dealer also couple years ago saying that they want to buy my old sprinter. Both of them didn't see my sprinter yet. So they might not buy my cars. Can you let me know the best way to sell old sprinter?
  6. Must have options. Are there an options that I have to have?
  7. Is it buyer’s market or seller’s market for Transit? Are there many inventory in dealers, or do I have to wait to get it? Is it better to wait couple months to get better deal? For Corona virus, I guess it is buyer's market.
  8. What is the best deal that I can get? I went one dealer, and he gave me 0% interest rate.
If there are any other thing that I have consider, please let me know.

BTW, I found the price different between Sprinter and Transit is not that much.
So If you think sprinter is better than Transit, I can change my mind.
So let me know whatever you think!

Thank you!
1: Public parking? Street parking will be an issue if the available space is too small :) It won't fit into enclosed parking structures. Probably same limitations as your box truck.

2: PFDI has an extra fuel injector to help combat carbon buildup on the valves from direct injection. Engine choice will be partially dictated by your desired GVW and axle ratio, plus how fast do you want to go? I'd drive both.

3: AWD has a fuel economy penalty driving all that extra hardware. Do you really need it?

4: Axle ratio will be partially dictated by desired GVW and engine combination. There is no "best". Something comparable to your 3500 Sprinter will point you to engine/axle combinations to meet your required GVW.

5: Dealers NEVER pay good money on a trade. NEVER. Can you wait to sell it? Do you need the $$$ from the trade-in? Check eBay or places that gravitate towards commercial trucks.

6: Have you looked at the available options? Seems simple enough :) Buying off the lot will limit what options you will get, the dealers do not typically stock (order) loaded construction/cargo vans.

7: Don't be so sure about "buyers market". Check local stock and prices.

8: Good luck.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Member "Graphite Dave" sold his Sprinter and bought a Transit, he's still active.
Member "flman" still has his T1N as a camper, but bought a Transit when his NCV3 spun a bearing.

Private messages to them might get a response (Graphite Dave has posted many things about his Transit ... and he did a swap-over from his Sprinter RV conversion to the Transit with numerous photos here in the Forum)

--dick
I sold the Sprinter complete as a DIY conversion. Transit is very similar layout because it worked.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
1. I bought a 148" WB high roof not extended. Extended would be much more difficult to park.
2. The non turbo has both direct and port injection. The current Ecoboost is first generation so only has direct injection. New Ecoboost in F150 pickup has the new version Ecoboost that has both direct and port injection. Suspect the new version Ecoboost will be in the 2021 year model. The port injection reduces carbon buildup on the intake valve because the gasoline detergents are in the air stream. Choice depends on use and how much you enjoy driving. Ecoboost goes fast when you need it and is fun. Avoid the Transit diesel. Has same problems as diesel Sprinters. Probably worse because they do not sell many diesels so service might be a problem. Sprinter diesels will provide better MPG but have higher maintenance costs.
3. 4 wheel drive only required if your use requires it. Buy the optional limited slip rear end.
4. Std. axle ratio for the non turbo is 3.73. Std. axle ratio for the Ecoboost is 3.31. Probably the correct choices unless your application is unusual.
5. Better to sell your old vehicles and not trade them in. Dealer expects to sell your old vehicle for more than you receive.
6. Options depend on application. The must haves IMO are cruise control, limited slip rear end, trailer hitch?, glass in slider door for visibility, dual batteries, HD alternator, upfitter switches, 2 additional keys and IMO cloth seats.
7 & 8. Do not know if buyer or seller market. I determine the options wanted and then get 8 quotes from dealers. If ordered you have to wait for it to be built but you get all the options you want and do not have to pay for options you do not need.

I prefer the gas Ecoboost 2015 Transit compared to my sold 2008 diesel Sprinter. Drives and handles better. One major difference is the availability of service. Drive both vehicles. My Transit has been more reliable than the sold Sprinter.

No prestige in a Transit.

Send me a message with any other questions.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I understand that OP 13 years old Sprinter might need age-related repairs, but I wonder what high maintenance cost are you facing?
From what I understand the 2007 had no DEF and pretty basic emission hardware.
Is that OM642 engine that is facing oil cooler leaks?

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I understand that OP 13 years old Sprinter might need age-related repairs, but I wonder what high maintenance cost are you facing?
I had to have the 2008 towed at 10,000 miles due to a loose air intake hose clamp. The EGR failed at 20,000 miles which put me into LHM. That happened seconds after I was passing cars on a two lane road. Scary. The rear axle input seal failed. The cobbled Espar heater failed at 57,000 miles and cost me $2,000 to fix and Mercedes told the service manager that they did not install the heater. I had the options book that showed the option and the window sticker that listed the option. Took several months and many dealer visits to convince the service manager that the heater was supplied by Mercedes. Finally found a new Sprinter on his lot with the same option to prove that it was a factory option. No information was available to him on how to repair it. He just kept replacing expensive parts until it ran. Sold van in 2015.

2008 did not have the troublesome DEF system but did have a complicated emission system. I was willing to give up the better MPG of the diesel for a less complicated emission system on a gas engine. Gas engine also provided much better performance.

So far no maintenance issues for the Transit in 35,000 miles. Have had several recalls due to engineering mistakes by Ford due to the 2015 being the first year of production. Those issues have been corrected in later year models.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
To be only fair - you blame the brand for lousy service in your area.
When S**t can happen, I don't see too many Fords with 600k miles on them, like Sprinters do.
Than I look at it from other side.
The fuel money I save by driving MB gives me a lot for higher cost of maintenance.
Anybody dare to compare how much money will go on fuel comparing both at 1/2 milion miles?

glasseye

When S**t can happen, I don't see too many Fords with 600k miles on them, like Sprinters do.
The fuel money I save by driving MB
Anybody dare to compare how much money will go on fuel comparing both at 1/2 milion miles?
random thots...

At 160K miles , Frito has burned fuel dollars equal to his purchase price.

Very very few private vehicles make it to half a million miles.

The advantages of driving an F150 driveline in North America are hard to overlook.

After nearly sixty years of driving on five continents, no (four wheeled) vehicle has returned more pure driving pleasure than Frito.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The fuel money I save by driving MB gives me a lot for higher cost of maintenance.
The good news is we all have a choice of what vehicle we drive. Each vehicle has positives and negatives. That is why I suggested the poster drive both vehicles. Depending on how the vehicle is used should provide help with the decision.

The Mercedes service and service manger in my area was excellent as were the snacks and high end coffee. The problem was with the Mercedes national support people and the vehicle.

It would be interesting to compare operating costs for both vehicles that were used in the identical use. I suspect that the cost/mile would not be significantly different. The application would make a difference as would service availability. The T1N was a superior vehicle to the NCV3 IMO. One must compare the current models of both brands.

My :2cents:

If the plan is for the truck to be used as a RV/camper, very few vehicles in that use will need to worry about the difference in service miles of 250,000 vs 500,000 miles. It is not unusual for modern properly maintained petrol engines to achieve 250,000 miles with original drive train.

As Glasseye mentioned, for needed service when out traveling, the Ford Transit and Ford pickup truck petrol drive trains being similar is a big plus in the USA/Canada, maybe even while in Mexico.

:cheers: vic

Engine coolant is leaking.
I went to couple of mechanics, and they asked me $$$. I don’t trust and I don’t like the most sprinter mechanics in my area. They either overcharged or didn’t fix It many time in my experience.
So I think it is better to sell It AS IS instead of fixing it.

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Unfortunately small diesels in USA are against this country politics and that is main rule.
If you don't DIY - you definitely don't want to drive "exotic" diesel.
I want to break the myth that it is MB diesels that USA mechanics can't repair. Years ago I bought converted Prevost bus with all-American Detroit diesel. The engine was famous for decades as oil leaker as valve covers were hard to seal.
I bought new covers gaskets for the engine > 30 years old at the time and taking my time for proper alignment- I made the engine bone dry.
Look how many American diesel truck leave oil spots on parking. My 2017 Ford truck with "flagship" 440 HP diesel start leaking from oil pan just above 20k miles. Dealer did not tell me, but suppose pan gasket job require engine removal.
Those things should not happen in 21 Century.

1: Public parking? Street parking will be an issue if the available space is too small :) It won't fit into enclosed parking structures. Probably same limitations as your box truck.

2: PFDI has an extra fuel injector to help combat carbon buildup on the valves from direct injection. Engine choice will be partially dictated by your desired GVW and axle ratio, plus how fast do you want to go? I'd drive both.

4: Axle ratio will be partially dictated by desired GVW and engine combination. There is no "best". Something comparable to your 3500 Sprinter will point you to engine/axle combinations to meet your required GVW.
uck.
The port injection reduces carbon buildup on the intake valve because the gasoline detergents are in the air stream. Choice depends on use and how much you enjoy driving. Ecoboost goes fast when you need it and is fun.

Thank you all members who answered my questions. And thank you Graphite Dave and danski0224 for all detail answers.
I will use a Transit to move house plants, and also I will use it for commute.
I go plant nursery at least once a week. When I go nursery, I drive around 350 miles.
For commute, i will drive around 50 miles a day. 7 days a week.

350 miles + 50 miles * 7 = 700 miles per week. 700 miles / 7 days = 100 miles / day
100 miles / day * 365 = 36500 miles / year ------> We will drive 36500miles a year for commute and pick up plants from nursery once a week.
And because we will use it to deliver plants, and sometime we go nursery more often--> We will drive around 40,000 miles a year.

I don't know what is the max weight when I purchase full truckload of plants. I guess it is pretty heavy. so I want to get max GVW that I can.
Ecoboost sounds good except the buildup. Is there a way to clean the buildup when it is necessary?

By the way, If I order online, can I expect to get any discount or rebate?
And how long will it take to get it?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
350 miles + 50 miles * 7 = 700 miles per week. 700 miles / 7 days = 100 miles / day
100 miles / day * 365 = 36500 miles / year ------> We will drive 365000 miles a year for commute and pick up plants from nursery once a week.
And because we will use it to deliver plants, and sometime we go nursery more often--> We will drive around 400,000 miles a year.
Your math has gone wrong!

You've suddenly jumped mileage by a factor of TEN!

400,000 miles a year is 1,100 miles a DAY.

Keith.

pfflyer

Thank you all members who answered my questions. And thank you Graphite Dave and danski0224 for all detail answers.
I will use a Transit to move house plants, and also I will use it for commute.
I go plant nursery at least once a week. When I go nursery, I drive around 350 miles.
For commute, i will drive around 50 miles a day. 7 days a week.

100 miles / day * 365 = 36500 miles / year ------> We will drive 36500miles a year for commute and pick up plants from nursery once a week.
And because we will use it to deliver plants, and sometime we go nursery more often--> We will drive around 40,000 miles a year.

I don't know what is the max weight when I purchase full truckload of plants. I guess it is pretty heavy. so I want to get max GVW that I can.
Ecoboost sounds good except the buildup. Is there a way to clean the buildup when it is necessary?

By the way, If I order online, can I expect to get any discount or rebate?
And how long will it take to get it?

Thank you!
More info that might help form opinions about your situation is how many highway miles with at least 20 minute stretches.

Top Bottom