Newbie in the Sprinter world.

Guri

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum and I will start asking for help (Sorry)

I live in California and have been on camping trips with my family for a long time with a trailer and truck setup. Now, since the birds are out of the nest, my wife and I are seeing in the campervan territory.

I like the idea of converting a box truck or a van in to a custom RV. The Sprinter 170 extended caught my eye, it seems more spacious to convert it into an RV.
Now this is my dilemma and I need some help ...
  • In what year to avoid when I looking for a Sprinter (California restrictions)?
  • Which engine to choose?
  • How many miles in a used Sprinter is a lot?
  • 2,500 of 3,500 configuration to carry the weight of an RV conversion and to tow a trailer with dirt bikes.
  • Do I miss something?
I really appreciate any input and thanks in advance!

Outlookela

I'd consider new if you can afford. I ended up putting a lot of money into my conversion, though at the beginning I hadn't planned to. Now glad I did it on a new rather than old one. If you are keeping it simple and cheap on an older vehicle that is good too, which I have done on previous vans I owned. That wasn't an option for me as I use it for business as well.

Guri

@Outlookela, I saw a few used Sprinters in with 100K (ish) miles in the $20K (ish) range. One thing is clear to me, as you said, you can add stuff or remove from the van but the van will be with you until you sale it except that the conversion is done in a Box Truck and you can keep the "box" and replace the chassis with a newer model.
Any other recommendation? What about the engine/transmission?
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 50714

IMHO, unless you are prepared to pay long dollars or perform you own maintenance and repairs, I strongly recommend staying the hell away from European vehicle's. Finding convenient, competent and properly equipped repair facilities is a challenge and dealership service departments tend to be lemon factories.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
@Bobnoxious. How I can check if is an European version?
Thanks.
What Bob is saying is all Sprinter versions. A Ford Transit has lower maintenance costs and a dealer in every other town. Important if you are going to travel. I had a 2008 Sprinter which II sold and bought a 2015 Transit. Do not regret the change. Several failures with Sprinter and so far none with the Transit. Prefer the $60.00 10,000 mile service instead of Sprinter $350.00.

Guri

@Graphite Dave. I got it now! I liked the diesel version but I know sometime is a pain to maintain it specially in CA.
Thank you, I guess I'm going to start looking in to the Transit world... LOL!

Outlookela

Yes if you don't need 4WD than I'd be looking at the promaster. But really aren't the ford and dodge just "european" makes branded for North America? Or are they north american with all SAE nuts and bolts (does that define north american?).

borabora

Yet, there are thousands of Sprinter owners who are happy campers after their conversion is done. It helps to be hands-on, be able to do google searches, know a competent and honest mechanic and certainly a bit of luck is always useful. I am not saying that Sprinters don't have issues and aren't expensive to maintain but they remain a viable choice for conversions for many. If you go and look at any Transit or Promaster boards, I can assure you that you'll find plenty of whining and complaining about their vans.

Guri

@borabora. No brand or car is trouble-free, but we can agree that some cars are more likely to fail (that could be a combination of complicated design, poor components or material choice). I am looking for a good / reliable platform to start and maintain for many years. I have experience with mechanics, electricity and electronics, but I have no experience with diesel engines.
I'm still looking for guidance!
Thanks

borabora

If diesel is a negative rather than a positive to you then obviously Sprinters are not a good choice. I would not buy one of the new gas Sprinters, personally. I like the ~22 MPG I get in my 2016 144' because I take long trips but for others mileage isn't an issue.

Guri

The diesel is positive to me (specially if I can get 22MPG!). My only concern is the complexity and expensive repair/maintain that at the end of the day pulls down you MPG because your overall cost is higher. I know what a 10/12 MPG feels like since I have a 2012 Tundra with the option V8.

Outlookela

@Outlookela. What truck does have a better towing capability? I know that the ProMaster is a FWD and the Transit is a RWD.
Just as a comment to a new member from a newish one, this is a good info for a new member to research what is already published and post and then ask for commentary if needed?

SprinterSnale

'05 T1N 3500 - NorCalSprinterCampout
I had a Dodge box truck before buying an ‘05 TIN in 2013. The box truck got 8 mpg, so I put a new 360 in and still got 8 mpg. At 20.5mpg for a one ton, the fuel savings have been substansial to the operating cost of the Sprinter. I do 80 percent of my maintanence and rely on the knowledge base and occasional services of pros and enthusiasts on this forum. It is cheap and reliable in my mostly diy context. As these vans age, knowledge, persistance and some wrenching... or a fat wallet for service are a must. I do not find the systems in a T1 more difficult to work on than many 21st Century vehicles. The MB systems are just different and take awhile to learn. It’s part of the fun (or should be without fat wallet).
I had a ‘26 travel trailer. My feeling is the simplicity, saftey and flexibility of van travel greatly enhances the wife and I’s travel experiences over the road...or backing into a campsite for that matter. ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

You are fortunate own 05 and wish I had purchased an 06 but kept procrastinating.

Skeena

Coast to Coast to Coast
An issue for me is ground clearance. When I compared the LTV Unity (Sprinter chassis) parked beside a LTV Wonder (Transit chassis) the ground clearance was substantially less on the Transit. Is it the same difference when comparing regular Sprinters and regular Transits?

B

billintomahawk

Guri,
The T1N 2002-2006 are the oldest Sprinters(and the coolest).
Love is there.

Go hang out on the T1N talk sub forum here to get a feel for the T1N world of cultish original Sprinterdom.
It's not for everyone.
You did mention dirt bikes and trailers.
2002 low roof 140.

KTM 640 Adventure

It might be for you.

bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom