Sliding Side Door Compatibility between High / Low Roof

jmwgoff

Hey guys,

First post here, apologies if this has been covered but I haven't been able to turn up anything in search either on the forum or on Google. My question is whether the right hand sliding cargo door on low-roof T1Ns is compatible with high roof models? And same question for 2500 vs 3500? Same again for wheelbase length?

The bottom of my door is too far gone for any DIY rust treatment so I'm scanning the car-part website for replacements. They basically require you to filter based on the specific model and height and such, but at least based on the eye test it looks like they're all the same (seems like the high roof models just have more headroom above the gutters but the door dimensions are the same). Can anyone confirm?

Bonus question... currently I'm seeing a lot of colored doors, but my van is white. That said, I'm about to coat the whole van in dark green raptor liner after I replace the door. If anyone happens to have experience with this, do you think the door would stand out as a different color after two coats, or would it mostly cover up the original color once it's cured?

Many thanks

autostaretx

Erratic Member
For this (and future) games, there are parts catalogs for the T1N (and first NCV3) model years here:

Also service manuals, "how to align the doors" documents, etc etc

--dick

tbuyan

One difference of note: 140" 3500s (duallies) have a special slider/roller thingy that kicks the rear of the door out a bit more to clear the fender flare.
That requires a square hole in the door skin that is covered by sort a of pyramid shaped plastic cover. The 159" 3500s don't require these special parts because the door doesn't reach the rear flare. And there are no 118" 3500s. So the door is unique to the 140" 3500. I assume it will work on a 2500, but you'll need to get the plastic cover too.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
One difference of note: 140" 3500s (duallies) have a special slider/roller thingy that kicks the rear of the door out a bit more to clear the fender flare.
That requires a square hole in the door skin that is covered by sort a of pyramid shaped plastic cover. The 159" 3500s don't require these special parts because the door doesn't reach the rear flare. And there are no 118" 3500s. So the door is unique to the 140" 3500. I assume it will work on a 2500, but you'll need to get the plastic cover too.
Thanks for that ... over the 14 years i've been in this group, there have been occasional threads asking "what's this square hole for?" ... and i think yours is the first *complete* answer.

--dick

lindenengineering

You refer to what we call the "traveler" at the waist rail.
The shape is different on 25's & 3500 versions,hence to need for the plastic cover.
Dennis

tbuyan

You're welcome. It was a mystery to me too until I went to the dealer to order the missing the plastic cover for my van. They wanted the VIN, of course, which I didn't have, so I went out to their lot to get a VIN from any dually. The only one there was a customer's 159" Class C and it didn't have the hole! That's when the light went on. The "traveler" (thank you, Dennis) definitely protrudes beyond the plane of the door; hence the hole. I eventually got the cover - it just snaps in place, and has since fallen off again. This time I'll glue it in place.

jmwgoff

Thanks for this. Do you have a picture of what you're talking about? What you're describing makes sense but I'm having trouble picturing where exactly the hole is, as I haven't never gotten a close look at any 3500s. Is it possible to order to plastic cover too, or do you need to fabricate one?

tbuyan

I got the plastic cover through a Freightliner dealer even though my rig is a Dodge. Less than $5 I recall.
The Cover is that black square at the rear of the slider just in front of the aluminum track.IMG_4636.JPG

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Highlighted:

TravelerHole.jpg
--dick

jmwgoff

I got the plastic cover through a Freightliner dealer even though my rig is a Dodge. Less than $5 I recall.
The Cover is that black square at the rear of the slider just in front of the aluminum track.

Huh. Really strange design feature. So I guess basically since the traveler on my 2500 doesn't protrude as far, that cover would just be full of empty space?

It's all starting to make sense... The spare door I'm looking at on car-part actually has a small metal plate there - I asked the owner of the shop what it was for and he said he figured it had something to do with the fact that the previous owner built out the inside as a camper and actually covered the side entrance with a wall, rendering the door useless (WHY?!). So I guess if the door didn't need to be able to slide open anyway, a flat metal plate without room for the traveler was a fine solution.

Otherwise the door looks like it's in great shape, it's 250 bucks, and the closest one to me by about 500 miles, so I'll at least go check it out tomorrow. Does this raise any red flags as far as y'all are concerned?

Thanks again

door.png

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
This may be a silly question, but could a 140 2500 series door be retrofitted to take the longer 3500 rear roller? I put aftermarket fender flares on and at full open the door sensor pins scrape on the fender. I understand that a hole would need to be cut into the outer door skin, but would everything else be the same internally?

tbuyan

[QUOTE="Huh. Really strange design feature.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Always looked like an afterthought to me. I can just imagine those MB engineers slapping their foreheads.

jmwgoff

This may be a silly question, but could a 140 2500 series door be retrofitted to take the longer 3500 rear roller? I put aftermarket fender flares on and at full open the door sensor pins scrape on the fender. I understand that a hole would need to be cut into the outer door skin, but would everything else be the same internally?

Thought I'd report back to answer your question and the general question of the original post.

I ended up picking up that door and trying to install it. I couldn't finish the job because the wheels on the 3500 roller were so FUBAR that it prevented the door from sliding all the way closed. I'm working on ordering a replacement roller and will report back again once it's installed just to fully confirm that a 2500 van can take a 3500 door, but it's looking like it should work.

That being said, I tried putting the 2500 roller on the new 3500 door since the wheels on that one were working fine, and in attempting that I found out there's a slight difference in the attachment point on the door itself that prevents a 2500 roller from fitting on a 3500 door and vice versa. I can take a picture of what I'm talking about if anyone is interested, but had to run inside since a thunderstorm was rolling through.

Something to be mindful of... I'm looking at rollers online now and the majority of sellers are labeling them as being compatible with both models, very few are noting that's not the case.

tbuyan

So I guess if the door didn't need to be able to slide open anyway, a flat metal plate without room for the traveler was a fine solution.
The traveler protrudes beyond the plane of the door skin when the door is closed and immediately recedes when the rear edge of door kicks out when opening.

Top Bottom