Will I be ok with a Freightliner Sprinter cargo van 170 two wheel drive clearance?

CC2

Will I be ok with a Freightliner Sprinter cargo van 170 two wheel drive clearance? We do not do 4 wheel but do take advantage of disbursed camping. Would I be better off with a 144?

Kajtek1

2015 long/tall limo RV 2.1l
I take my long van on desert occasionally and when traction is not a problem, the rear overhang likes to scratch when crossing low spots.
So yes, 144 will have shorter overhang.

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
It depends on you, what you want to do with your van and where you're going. Obviously, 144 is the best as far as departure angle, 170 is less good, and 170ext is the worst.

I have a 170ext and on ungraded dirt forest roads I have to keep an eye out for ruts/washouts across the road and either avoid or cross them carefully or else the back end will scrape. It's seldom a problem in urban environments except in places like Moab that have huge gutters on each side of the road instead of buried storm drains. Then it will sometimes scrape entering and exiting parking lots unless I do so at exactly at the right angle.

For me it's outweighed by the benefit of the extra space, but it's definitely the top limitation of the vehicle in terms of where I can go, followed by its length (hard to turn around on a one lane road), traction (2wd) and height (trying to park or drive near low trees).

CC2

It depends on you, what you want to do with your van and where you're going. Obviously, 144 is the best as far as departure angle, 170 is less good, and 170ext is the worst.

I have a 170ext and on ungraded dirt forest roads I have to keep an eye out for ruts/washouts across the road and either avoid or cross them carefully or else the back end will scrape. It's seldom a problem in urban environments except in places like Moab that have huge gutters on each side of the road instead of buried storm drains. Then it will sometimes scrape entering and exiting parking lots unless I do so at exactly at the right angle.

For me it's outweighed by the benefit of the extra space, but it's definitely the top limitation of the vehicle in terms of where I can go, followed by its length (hard to turn around on a one lane road), traction (2wd) and height (trying to park or drive near low trees).
Thank you very helpful

Kajtek1

2015 long/tall limo RV 2.1l
My long bus scratch the rear muffler, regardless having rear step with bracket.
I guess scratching the hitch would be safer.

Top Bottom