Vibrations ( still)

mcguyver

Hey all having ongoing issues with a vibration in my 2012 316 4x4.
Only occurs above 80klm/h with the throttle on. IF I take my foot off the throttle it dissapears.
Any thoughts on what it might be?

Eric Experience

Mac
Most drive vibrations are caused by mismatched angles on the drive shaft. When you are under power the nose of the diff rises changing the angle. Look for movement in the U bolts. If you put a spanner on the nuts they may feel tight when they are not, clean the nuts and mark the position. if you loosen the nuts one at a time and then re tighten them you will know they are tight. Can you fit a camera under the van aimed at the pinion. Eric.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Does it change with the gear at all? On/off throttle typically points to a rear driveshaft angle issue. When you load/unload the rear axle, the pinion moves up/down a degree or two. Its fairly easy to use a angle finder to double check the angles at the flanges.

If the vibration proportional to speed, or does it stay the same frequency?

mcguyver

So I crawled underneath this morning and found this front uni joint has been hitting the body. Suspect a broken engine or gearbox mount. Anyone else seen this?

I 1B8E8AFF-AA87-4038-9C82-4DB2A3352F0E.jpeg

Eric Experience

Mac.
That is not your vibration, The flange has been pushed up at some stage but it is not rubbing now as it would be polished, Eric.

mcguyver

Hi Eric . You can’t see it in that pic, but on the other side of the flange it is polished clean.

mcguyver

Thought I would provide an update. So the transmission mount had that tally collapsed as well as the the universal joints. Replaced the mount and had the tail shaft rebuilt inclouding a new centre bearing. All up about $1500. Runs beautifullt. Now. Off camping in it for the weekend.

Bellapaca

An expensive and happy ending I guess.
I'm still getting over 80 bucks for a bit of glue on my chipped windscreen, I'm a mean man (tight arse) lol.

Happy travels.

Top Bottom