Maxxair Fan/Vent Clearance

Marober

Hello, I had a question about the Maxxair deluxe 7500. I'm mounting it on my roof with some solar panels. I have plenty of clearance for the flange as my solar panels are elevated on a roof rack, but I am wondering how much clearance that actual body of the fan needs on either side of it to open and close. I know I have plenty of space both in front and behind the fan as there are no solar panes there. The gap width-wise between two solar panels that I am trying to mount the fan is 18 5/16”. As I understand the width of the body of the fan is 26 1/2". This leaves just .906 or just or just over 7/8 of an inch on each side of the vent fan for it to open and close. Is this an acceptable amount of clearance?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
On mine, with MaxxFan's "any weather" rain hood, the distance from the 14" hole to my roof rack (that holds my panels)
is 9 inches. (my fan is a 5301 )

Fan-to-Rack-Gap.jpg

added: oh, rats ... you were asking *width* ... and my 5301 is nowhere near being over 20 inches wide.
My rain hood doesn't even extend 1.5" beyond the plastic column.

According to MaxxAir, the 7500 K is only 16.4 inches wide:

7500kSize.png

I would certainly think that a half-inch or more is adequate clearance.
Just be reasonably careful in your roof hole cutting

--dick
(i suspect your " 26 1/2 " was a typo from 16.5?)

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Is that 9" on either side? or are you talking off the back of the vent?
That 9 inches is from the rear of the 14 inch hole to the front of my roof rack (so fore-to-aft on the van, with clearance for the lid (raised in the photo, which was added after you quoted my post's "1st edition" (i frequently update my posts)>

In the "final" version of my post (with text below the photo), i finally realized you were asking side-to-side clearance.
Like Hein, my estimate of your clearance is almost an inch, which should be fine ... the lid is fairly well controlled/restrained as it goes up/down, so anything over (say) a third of an inch clearance should work.

--dick

Marober

On mine, with MaxxFan's "any weather" rain hood, the distance from the 14" hole to my roof rack (that holds my panels)
is 9 inches. (my fan is a 5301 )

View attachment 142405

added: oh, rats ... you were asking *width* ... and my 5301 is nowhere near being over 20 inches wide.
My rain hood doesn't even extend 1.5" beyond the plastic column.

According to MaxxAir, the 7500 K is only 16.4 inches wide:

View attachment 142408

I would certainly think that a half-inch or more is adequate clearance.
Just be reasonably careful in your roof hole cutting

--dick
(i suspect your " 26 1/2 " was a typo from 16.5?)
Yup, that was a typo. 16.5 is what I meant

Top Bottom