Generator Auto Transfer Switch

Kiltym

We have had ongoing hiccups with our transfer switch over the years, so finally decided to change it out. The symptom we had was when the generator was running, the switch would engage and power would come into the van. When an AC load was applied (varying from time to time on how big a load), the switch would disengage, and shut off power to the van. This would happen over and over again at times, and other times after a single disengage, the switch would work as it should. Not sure what caused the variance as sometimes it seemed like a big load (like the A/C), and other times a computer plugged into an AC outlet.

Anyway, project is a pain, mostly because of the location of the switch. It is on the back wall behind the AC breaker panel. It is not an easy place to access to remove and replace.

The original unit is a Parallax ATS30.

The replacement unit is a Parallax ATS301.

The form factor is different so new mounting holes need to be drilled in the back wall. But the new unit is much better built. There are terminal strips used to attach all the wires to in the ATS301, where the ATS30 uses short wire pigtails and wire nuts (not great in a van). The switch in the new unit is also sealed to keep out more grime, where the old unit it is fully exposed.

One "trick" to note as the disassembly for this was not found in the repair manual. You remove the two screws holding the bulkhead wall to the breaker panel wall and slide it towards the front of the van. I did not try to remove it from the cabinet as it goes flush out of the way. The breaker panel wall has four L brackets, one in each corner, attached to the floor and ceiling. You cannot really see behind there until the wall is removed, so be aware some blind screws need to be removed before the wall with the panel can be moved out of the way.

When mounting the new unit, be sure there is room for the cabinet bulkhead to fit because of the cable coming out the side (err to mounting the unit towards the rear of the van).

Photos attached.

Although the new unit appears to be mounted sideways, it is not. It is mounted vertically, the labels are mounted sideways. The manual can be found online. Price for the new unit is ~$110. Forgot to take photos of the inside, but likely can be found online somewhere.

Attachments

onemanvan

We have had ongoing hiccups with our transfer switch over the years, so finally decided to change it out. The symptom we had was when the generator was running, the switch would engage and power would come into the van. When an AC load was applied (varying from time to time on how big a load), the switch would disengage, and shut off power to the van. This would happen over and over again at times, and other times after a single disengage, the switch would work as it should. Not sure what caused the variance as sometimes it seemed like a big load (like the A/C), and other times a computer plugged into an AC outlet.

Anyway, project is a pain, mostly because of the location of the switch. It is on the back wall behind the AC breaker panel. It is not an easy place to access to remove and replace.

The original unit is a Parallax ATS30.

The replacement unit is a Parallax ATS301.

The form factor is different so new mounting holes need to be drilled in the back wall. But the new unit is much better built. There are terminal strips used to attach all the wires to in the ATS301, where the ATS30 uses short wire pigtails and wire nuts (not great in a van). The switch in the new unit is also sealed to keep out more grime, where the old unit it is fully exposed.

One "trick" to note as the disassembly for this was not found in the repair manual. You remove the two screws holding the bulkhead wall to the breaker panel wall and slide it towards the front of the van. I did not try to remove it from the cabinet as it goes flush out of the way. The breaker panel wall has four L brackets, one in each corner, attached to the floor and ceiling. You cannot really see behind there until the wall is removed, so be aware some blind screws need to be removed before the wall with the panel can be moved out of the way.

When mounting the new unit, be sure there is room for the cabinet bulkhead to fit because of the cable coming out the side (err to mounting the unit towards the rear of the van).

Photos attached.

Although the new unit appears to be mounted sideways, it is not. It is mounted vertically, the labels are mounted sideways. The manual can be found online. Price for the new unit is ~$110. Forgot to take photos of the inside, but likely can be found online somewhere.
I recently started experiencing the same issue. After studying the schematic I figured the most likely cause would be the RY2 thermal relay. Other than connections the only three points of failure are the main relay, bridge rectifier and thermal time delay relay. The first two are downstream from the delay relay, so if either of them failed the period between on/off would be random. However the on/off period is always about 10 seconds. So that suggests to me the culprit must be the delay relay. Only time will tell if replacing that component fixed the problem as I do not use the generator very often and the problem was very intermittent when running the air conditioner. FWIW: I documented the details in this post: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/125548/

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
What size of generator do you have?
Sounds to me like AC starting current makes voltage drop, what disconnects TS.
Will wait to hear if new unit solved the issue, what sounds like the result, not the cose.
I am into simplifying RV and would go for manual transfer switch.

onemanvan

What size of generator do you have?
Sounds to me like AC starting current makes voltage drop, what disconnects TS.
Will wait to hear if new unit solved the issue, what sounds like the result, not the cose.
I am into simplifying RV and would go for manual transfer switch.
Onan 2500 LP
Problem occurs randomly AFTER A/C has been running awhile, 10-15-20-30 minutes
So it's NOT related to start up current!
In this thread Kiltym reported the same issue, in his case the problem occurs randomly even with small loads like charging laptop
I've tested everything at home a few times and so far no problems, fingers crossed:)

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Onan 2500 LP
Problem occurs randomly AFTER A/C has been running awhile, 10-15-20-30 minutes
So it's NOT related to start up current!
Doesn't your AC cycle after 10-15-20 minutes?
The following restarts are always harder as there is more pressure in the system.

onemanvan

Doesn't your AC cycle after 10-15-20 minutes?
The following restarts are always harder as there is more pressure in the system.
That's a valid point, but doesn't explain why Kiltym was seeing the same issue with small loads like charging a laptop...
Furthermore, his issue was resolved by replacing the ATS30 with an ATS301 ( newer version of the transfer switch ).
I may not know if my relatively inexpensive simple fix resolves my issue until next summer while I'm out traveling...

Top Bottom