EDC HELP - Water in Fuel Filter

sprinterlyf

Hello,

T1N 2001 OM611 here - we're in a bit of a pickle. Currently broken down on the side of the road, engine cut out on us after a few KMs of slight rattling sound on the accelerator and then EDC light comes on before the engine cut.

Luckily we could pull over to side of the road before we stopped but engine will not turn over (no response to pressing on accelerator) and EDC light remains on.

Did some investigation and it appears there is either water (or air?) Trapped in one of the lines going into the fuel filter. We don't have the type of the fuel filter that has the drain petcock on the bottom and I don't see any other components that look like they can be drained from etc.

We're currently waiting for a tow truck on the side of the road and I'm desperately trawling the forums, net, anything to see if this is something we'll be able to fix ourselves. Does anyone know if there is a way to drain a fuel filter that doesn't have the petcock or drain on the bottom? Are we just looking at a new filter/drain the system? Any advice or other ideas much appreciated.

Thank you so much!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Does the engine crank at all? Or simply won't start?

The fuel system around the filter is all under a vacuum. Air leaks due to failed O rings or loose clamps/clips are not unusual. The thermostatic Tee valve (top black fitting in your photo) can also develop leaks.

A significant air leak will cause rough running/idle and stalling.

B

billintomahawk

A fuel filter change will get you a couple of new o-rings and a clean filter.
If you fill it with fuel and drop the line from the filter into a clean bucket of fuel you should self prime the whole fuel system and run.

If you don't run at that point assuming the engine turns over(charge the battery!!!), at least you have a good place to troubleshoot from.

You need a fuel tank sample somehow. The old filter contents will do this, dump it into a clean pan and check it for water and junk.

I had these problems with my '02. The vacuum fuel feed to the high pressure pump need perfect sealing.

Air in the lines is different than water of course but you will soon know which it is.

bill in tomahawk

sprinterlyf

Does the engine crank at all? Or simply won't start?

The fuel system around the filter is all under a vacuum. Air leaks due to failed O rings or loose clamps/clips are not unusual. The thermostatic Tee valve (top black fitting in your photo) can also develop leaks.

A significant air leak will cause rough running/idle and stalling.
It will crank fine it just won't start - pressing the pedal does nothing.

We're keeping an open mind but currently focusing on the strong possibility that it's water rather than air. The fuel tank was near empty before it was filled from a Jerry can - we're wondering if somehow the fuel was purged or if it was left to get too low and this is causing our problems.

The image in my OP shows what we think might be water. Is it feasible to disconnect this line and remove the water? I'm suspecting a new fuel filter is probably best.

thanks!

A fuel filter change will get you a couple of new o-rings and a clean filter.
If you fill it with fuel and drop the line from the filter into a clean bucket of fuel you should self prime the whole fuel system and run.

If you don't run at that point assuming the engine turns over(charge the battery!!!), at least you have a good place to troubleshoot from.

You need a fuel tank sample somehow. The old filter contents will do this, dump it into a clean pan and check it for water and junk.

I had these problems with my '02. The vacuum fuel feed to the high pressure pump need perfect sealing.

Air in the lines is different than water of course but you will soon know which it is.

bill in tomahawk
We are following this line of investigation - hopefully we'll be able to source a new fuel filter through the mechanics we've been towed to, though I remember last time it took a few days for us to locate the right part for our 2001.

Do you think it will be okay to change the filter and run? Will it depend on our sample test from the old fuel filter - if there is a significant amount of water in our tank and not just the filter/line is it advisable to drain the tank?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

sprinterlyf

If the system was allowed to pull air, start by filling the filter with fuel to prime it. It can then take a bit of cranking to start.

The accelerator pedal has no effect during starting.
So we have replaced the fuel filter, primed it with fuel into into the filter and just tried to start it, it just cranks and cranks and cranks but no start.

Tried turning the key for about 20 seconds no start, should we be trying for longer? I'm concerned we might burn our starter motor out.. ?

Oh and the EDC light has gone out.

We checked the fuel in the old filter and it doesn't seem that there was any water in it. We've put a new O ring on one of the lines as it looked a little loose, like maybe it was supposed to clip down somehow but the clips appear to be missing. We've also added a cable tie for good measure, so if it was air leak hopefully not again.

B

billintomahawk

I think your fuel system is different than my '02 USA model and that any more advuce from me may be incorrect.

bill

sprinterlyf

I think your fuel system is different than my '02 USA model and that any more advuce from me may be incorrect.

bill
No worries, thanks anyway Bill.

One flat battery, a short walk to the fuel station and a new fuel filter later and she's running again. A bit of a gravelly start and some light rattling sounds from the engine but no more dash lights or engine cut out so far, fingers crossed and touch wood!

It seems whether it was air from the loose fuel line from the filter into the engine or water from the fuel tank we let run too low, it seems to have been resolved now.

Top tip to take away - always ALWAYS prime your filter especially if your girl is old like ours and needs all the help she can get!

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

sprinterlyf

Scratch that, we were just going (albeit a very steep hill) uphill and as we reached the crest she cut out again, EDC light came on and we had to pull over on the road.

Popped the hood, could see the very tiniest air bubble on the top of the clear line coming out of the filter. We then tried to restart, very slow to start, cranked five or six times and eventually she started. We booked it to the nearest fuel station (where we were heading) and we've topped her up now.. hopefully it won't happen again.

EDC light is off again, but we're a bit weary of getting those high revs in case she cuts again...

Top Bottom