Towing a Jeep

Sue B

We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that we have towed behind our 2020 MB LTV. It seems like the Jeep is a bit heavy for the LTV. What do you tow behind your LTV?

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
It is a bit heavy for a Sprinter 3500. The base weight of a GC is about 4,500 lbs so probably closer to 5,000 with options in the real world with tow gear. If you are at gross weight in the tow vehicle (very easy to do) then you are left with about a 4,200 lb. tow capacity (due to GCWR limitations so doesn't matter if the specified 'tow rating' is higher), thus you would be overweight by a significant amount. You can raise the 4,200 lbs higher (but not higher than the tow rating) by lowering the vehicle weight, but that isn't easy as there isn't a lot of headroom (carrying capacity) to begin with. Of course no estimate beats actually weighing the vehicle combo, which you should do.

I sometimes tow a 2-door Wrangler Rubicon (maybe 4500 lbs ready for the road) with my Winnie View and it is clearly the most I would ever try. It's 'ok' but on the road there's no doubt the drivetrain is clearly at its max. I don't know how longevity will be affected if at all (I am very careful, watch temps, 60 mph max., mostly just day trips, etc.) but it works and many do it. For longer trips or full-time towing I would definitely advise something lighter however. Not that it won't work, but it won't be fun in challenging conditions (mountains, high winds, etc.)

Last edited:

RaZzZzor

'19 144" HR 4x4
Neither of my Sprinters were built-out motor homes, just glamping boondock rigs with gear plus toys inside. But I flat-tow a 2015 Fiat 500C with a 5-speed manual. I like the Fiat 500 because the steering column does not lock. So just drop transmission into neutral and disengage emergency brake and away we go! Here's photo of the 'toad' behind my 2016 NCV3 Crew 4x4 V6 a few years back. I now have a 2019 VS30 Cargo 4x4 V6 and do the same. I do not load the 'toad' up with any luggage so the total towed weight is ~2,200 lbs. Just an option...

Attachments

Top Bottom