Won't move now - ideas?

teardropty

I have an 06 T1N. I was driving one day and it would not shift past 2nd gear (max speed 30ish). NO engine light on. I was able to limp it home but got it stuck in the driveway. I left it for the night. The next day I rocked it back and forth under its own power. Suddenly, when I put it in gear, nothing happens. No movement, no forward or reverse. Also, when you have put it in gear and push on the gas pedal, it kinda "bogs down" like it is losing power in the engine. Feels like maybe there is a safety override that kicked in. Still won't move and no check engine light. Could that be a lose of torque converter, lack of transmission fluid or something else? I have ordered a transmission dipstick but it hasnt arrived due to corona. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
Your first step should be scanning the transmission control module with a Sprinter specific scanner. Autel AP200 is one of the better budget scanners that work well. Reading the error codes will give you a starting point

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Wait for your dipstick and check the transmission fluid level before doing anything else.

Or on second thoughts, crawl underneath and look for fluid leaks typically around the electrical connector on the front corner.

Keith.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Agreed. You’re very likely in some form of hard limp mode, and a scan of the transmission module should be revealing?

Transmission fluid wicking up the harness is a common mode of failure (the fluid is a conductor) so pull the 13-pin connector plug at the corner of the transmission pan and check for a leaking socket. If it’s wet then clean it AND the connector at the TCM under the driver’s seat (a new 13-pin socket is about $20 from either Amazon, Dodge, or MB... can be swapped with minimal fluid loss, especially if you are parked on a hill)

The TCM does have the authority to limit engine power, as does the ASR (traction control) system, so the “bogging” feel could be a TCM self defence measure? Impossible to say from this side of the internet...

-dave

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
I have been in that hard /deep limp, it is pretty alarming, feels like the trams is completely pooched. All it took was fluid change and cleaning up the valve body solenoids, that was 2 years ago, no problems since. First thing to do is put it on a appropriate scanner to see what is happening.

Last edited:

teardropty

Thanks for the comments and ideas, gives me hope. Stupid question though - would transmission codes NOT show up as a check engine light?

D

Deleted member 50714

Check tranny fluid.

There was a gorgeous blonde expediter at work, fond of wearing blue jeans with a zipper running the length of her crotch and ass crack.

On day, she described similar and when I asked her if she checked the tranny fluid she asked what was that. When I checked fluid level only a smidge of rusty looking fluid. Got a couple quarts and the first leaked onto the payment, second eventually returned. Convinced lady to buy a new car which she did.

Wideopen

I have an 06 T1N. I was driving one day and it would not shift past 2nd gear (max speed 30ish). NO engine light on. I was able to limp it home but got it stuck in the driveway. I left it for the night. The next day I rocked it back and forth under its own power. Suddenly, when I put it in gear, nothing happens. No movement, no forward or reverse. Also, when you have put it in gear and push on the gas pedal, it kinda "bogs down" like it is losing power in the engine. Feels like maybe there is a safety override that kicked in. Still won't move and no check engine light. Could that be a lose of torque converter, lack of transmission fluid or something else? I have ordered a transmission dipstick but it hasnt arrived due to corona. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Any luck with resolving your issue? My 06 is down in the same mode with check engine light on. An trick to clearing the codes or any other information you discovered would be greatly appreciated.
Jon

CEL is only triggered for faults that effect emissions.
Is that true?

There are TCM companion DTC's which can be set to the ECM aka ECU.

Transmission Limp Home Mode always results in a pair of TCM fault codes, one of which is a companion code and appears in the engine module.

Both need to be erased after repair. This is typically only possible with factory grade diagnostic tools.

Doktor A
vic

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Hmmm... true. I overstated that point.
I should have qualified my statement: CEL is only *required to be* set for faults that effect emmisions (which is why the T21 recall happenned).
Apologies... ?

Module DTCs get set for all sorts of conditions, and each module can broadcast its codes, which may in turn be picked up and result in a local status or fault code being set.

-dave

Top Bottom