Stuck in Lodi Again

runfaster

Stuck in Lodi Again
Ok I'll start this off with a song so you can listen to it as you help me get "unstuck in Lodi"
I just bought my dream van (I'm hoping it's a good dream and not a nightmare). I've been a Diesel VW driver for years and I work on them all the time to keep them alive. I get 500k-650k miles on them so I'm pretty good and keeping them alive as I pour the miles on them. I drive over 100k per year, and just logged in 66k in the past 3 months. On one of my road trips last month I came across a 2004 Dodge Sprinter 3500 with only 110k on it. I thought that this could/can be my new dream car, since I pretty much live in my car with all the driving I do. The owner told me it runs great, but as it gets hot the ignition switch will not allow it to start, so it might need a new switch. I figured what the hell.... start it up and don't turn it off till I get home and replace the part there, so down the road I went. I made it 20 mile away and it turned off. I tried every trick I knew to get it to turn over but the switch (or what I thought was the switch) just lite up the dash but wouldn't turn it over. I turn it to the on position and climbed under and jumped the starter to get it to turn over but I wouldn't fire. I had it towed back to the guy I bought it from and asked if I could come back another day to work on it and he was cool with that. I don't want my money back I just want to get it running right. The next day when it cooled off the guy said it started right up, so it's something that happens when it gets warm. I came home and started to read as many posts as I could. Most said that their vans would turn over but not start, but mine wouldn't turn over and when I jumped the starter it still wouldn't start. What the hell I bought tons of parts for it.... and new ignition switch, cam sensor, crank sensor and other things. Now back to Lodi I go (800 miles from home). This time I brought a scanner with me and the only code it threw was P0500 (speed sensor, I don't that could be related in anyway). I turned it on and left it running till it got hot, turned it off and it would start up right away so I though the new ignition switch in it, still nothing, so I replaced the cam sensor, still nothing, so I replaced the crank sensor still nothing, so I waited till it cooled off. After a couple tries it started up, then is started to run rough and died, I tried a bunch of time again and the same thing. I waited till it cooled off (about and hour) and it started off and ran great till it got warm and then back to the same thing all over again. I drove back home in my Diesel VW empty handed. Back on this site to ask for your help. So it runs great when it's cold, dies when it's hot and runs bad. Won't turn over when it's hot. Now one post said check the fuel filter, but that shouldn't make it not turn over, another said air filter. I replaced the cam and crank sensor, but same thing with the starting and the way it runs. I could see if it had a ton of miles on it, but hell with only 110k on it it's like brand new and it runs great when it cold. Can anyone help me get out of Lodi again? Does anyone live close to Lodi that's good with the T1N sprinters? Thanks, Run Faster

T

I would suggest some methodical troubleshooting is your best possibility. There is a product available called Freeze Spray. It can be directed on specific components to cool them down. Ice or water in a sealed plastic bag can sometimes be employed.

If you haven't run into this thread yet, there are some tips and schematics included.

vic

runfaster

Stuck in Lodi Again
I would suggest some methodical troubleshooting is your best possibility. There is a product available called Freeze Spray. It can be directed on specific components to cool them down. Ice or water in a sealed plastic bag can sometimes be employed.

If you haven't run into this thread yet, there are some tips and schematics included.

vic
Thanks, my buddy was talking about trying to cool some things down and test to see it was this or that, but the freeze spray is a great way to cool stuff off. Thanks again

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
With the right scanner you can monitor the start process. The starter gets feedback from the ignition switch and ECM. The ECM needs to complete the key authentication with the skreem module. After that it will engage the starter. Even then no fuel will be injected without crank, cam, and enough fuel pressure.

You need to put a compatible scanner on the unit, and methodically work through the systems. You will not have success shotgunning parts.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
My first two guesses on the symptoms alone are:
(a) crankshaft position sensor is drifting out of calibration due to heat. If it stops working, the engine will shut down.
If it's not working when you try to start, it can crank all day and not start.

(b) wiring harness damage ... inspect the harness behind the fuel filter where it makes a sharp bend and is secured by a wire-tie.
The engine metal can cause the wires inside the wrapper to rub together and gradually wear away their insulation. Result" intermittent short circuits causing all sorts of mixed-symptoms havoc. Heat can affect the inter-wire contact.
First approach: cut the cable tie and "massage" the wiring bundle. If symtoms change, cut into it and inspect the wires.

Visit this web site and fetch documentation: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Specifically the 2006 (better location diagrams) and 2004 Service Manuals ("SM" in file name)
PLUS this page: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/T1N_service_scans/
where you can fetch the Training documents for service people.
Here are the crankshaft sensor pages: (files 058... thru 060...)

058CrankshaftPosCKP.jpg
059CrankshaftPosCKP.jpg
060CrankshaftCamshaftPos.jpg

... the next pages cover the camshaft sensor, which is required for starting, but only occasionally checked during running.

--dick

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
I’m not too far from Lodi and have a scanner which can look at the various start parameters. Feel free to private message me and we can go from there. -Chris
.... damn it’s hot today!!!!

runfaster

Stuck in Lodi Again
I’m not too far from Lodi and have a scanner which can look at the various start parameters. Feel free to private message me and we can go from there. -Chris
.... damn it’s hot today!!!!
Thanks, Chris. I'm just going to post my number for you and anyone that can help 602-892-5409

runfaster

Stuck in Lodi Again
Ha! You lived there too? I once did as well.
I like to say "Wherever I go, there I am". My van will be my new and better life. I lived in Seattle most of my life, but there I felt like living was trying to survive and that's not really living. The cold, wet, traffic, high cost of living, over policed, lose, lose, lose day to day life was getting me down. I don't need it, or want it, so on the road I go. My only daughter is grow up and on her own so I can be free to enjoy my solo life. This van is my get away. I've been trying to do this in my VW TDi Passat, but it's kind of small. I drove 66k over the past 3 months and seen a lot. I can't wait to enjoy the room of my Sprinter and these long trips.

Carminooch615

Late to the party but I’m 15 mins from Lodi. Got a van full of tools, DIY, and no day job anymore. PM me if I can be of assistance. Not an expert, the biggest thing I’ve done is shoehorn a Mercedes diesel into my wrangler but the sprinter is still a learning experience for me

runfaster

Stuck in Lodi Again
Alright here I go. I think we figured it out. Something looks like it was up with the computer. I had Chris (vanski) come out with his scanner and he didn't get any reading form my computer. He recommended for me to take it into SOS in the Portland area. SOS found something wrong with it and fixed it for a reasonable fee. I'm driving from Seattle down to Lodi and let's see if I can get unstuck. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks for everyone's help. All you guys are great and very welcoming in to your group.

Attachments

Top Bottom