Advice needed on 6x6 project?

Andrew_T

If one disposes of unlimited resources then anything is possible.
However, if anyone has seen Bruce Banner , (no, not the actor), the green line-x’d Sprinter with solid axles and 8.5” lift, not sure why anyone would need more than that even in the gnarliest places you’d take something this tall.
Here’s a link:

SpiritedOak

2021 4x4 170HR
If one disposes of unlimited resources then anything is possible.
However, if anyone has seen Bruce Banner , (no, not the actor), the green line-x’d Sprinter with solid axles and 8.5” lift, not sure why anyone would need more than that even in the gnarliest places you’d take something this tall.
Here’s a link:
It sold at Barret Jackson in Houston earlier this year. Last I heard it went for well less than what was put into it. When I asked Tourig about it they said they just did the inside and they wouldn't want to have to maintain it. But that is kinda expected for something that specialized. They do those conversions a lot in Iceland but that is about it.

2021_3500_LowRoof

The evenly spaced wheels is the silly part of this idea. You’ll go through tires like crazy.

This whole thing makes totally rebuilding a rotted out 40 ft camper sound like a great idea…

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The evenly spaced wheels is the silly part of this idea. You’ll go through tires like crazy.

This whole thing makes totally rebuilding a rotted out 40 ft camper sound like a great idea…
Do I detect some passive aggression towards myself? If so, Haters Gonna Hate, I guess. Also, its 40.6 ft last time I measured, so it rounds up to 41ft.

Folks like to build outrageous vehicles. While I don't think a 6x6 is a wise decision, sometimes the challenge is enough to motivate people. There are plenty of of people who think putting 1,000 hours into a custom van conversion is ludicrous, but here we are on a forum where people do just that by the hundreds.

2021_3500_LowRoof

Do I detect some passive aggression towards myself? If so, Haters Gonna Hate, I guess. Also, its 40.6 ft last time I measured, so it rounds up to 41ft.

Folks like to build outrageous vehicles. While I don't think a 6x6 is a wise decision, sometimes the challenge is enough to motivate people. There are plenty of of people who think putting 1,000 hours into a custom van conversion is ludicrous, but here we are on a forum where people do just that by the hundreds.
Just playing with you…figured I’d get a rise out of it. I’ve dumped money into many things…
The funny saying(paraphrased) is “when someone is one step ahead of everyone else, they are called a leader, when someone is 2 steps ahead they’re a conspiracy theorist (in other words a crazy person)”
Hey, we all need people to try new things and figure stuff out for the rest of us…it’s all good.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Just playing with you…figured I’d get a rise out of it. I’ve dumped money into many things…
The funny saying(paraphrased) is “when someone is one step ahead of everyone else, they are called a leader, when someone is 2 steps ahead they’re a conspiracy theorist (in other words a crazy person)”
Hey, we all need people to try new things and figure stuff out for the rest of us…it’s all good.
Having done a custom 4x4 conversion on a van, in my driveway, I do realize I am bit off the wall. The trailer is a bit of a trailblazer. Like a 6x6, it will either be barely worth it, or freaking awesome.

-----------------------------------------------------

As to the this thread. Having a 6x6 doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 4x6 would be a much better option, and just put air bags on the rear dead axle to allow for traction adjustments. This is pretty common in australia, where dual rears don't work well in sand or singletrack trails.

1637329938067.png

2021_3500_LowRoof

Top Bottom