Dpf delete questions.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
And this is what linked page says :
Tampering with emissions controls is illegal in Washington. The Washington State Patrol and local police can ticket vehicles that are a threat to public safety.

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Tampering with emissions controls is illegal in Washington. The Washington State Patrol and local police can ticket vehicles that are a threat to public safety.
That depends on "if" the state patrol can figure out if the vehicle was modified and tampered with.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
If they consider the issue important - they will.
That happen in California, where for 25 years I drove diesels with smog exempt.
Than few years back they start making the inspections and grandfathered the requirement back to 1998 models. That IMHO was triggered by pickup owners modding their truck to "roll the coal" Bad luck I drove 1998 Mercedes diesel at the time.
Washington state has low population, lot of forest and they only dense area - Seattle is along the coast, where lot of breeze carry smog away, so their explanation make sense. But each time I drive there and follow older pickup on Oregon highway, I am getting headaches, so either I pass it fast, or give it 1/4 mile space.

220817a

If they consider the issue important - they will.
That happen in California, where for 25 years I drove diesels with smog exempt.
Than few years back they start making the inspections and grandfathered the requirement back to 1998 models. That IMHO was triggered by pickup owners modding their truck to "roll the coal" Bad luck I drove 1998 Mercedes diesel at the time.
Washington state has low population, lot of forest and they only dense area - Seattle is along the coast, where lot of breeze carry smog away, so their explanation make sense. But each time I drive there and follow older pickup on Oregon highway, I am getting headaches, so either I pass it fast, or give it 1/4 mile space.
The most polluted place in California is probably Central Valley. Mountains from the East and the West, no breeze... Lived there in the 90s just north of Fresno in Madera County.

Moto Vita

My statement was in response to a post about testing, nothing to do with legality.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Most of California creates a kidney-shaped pan with the only low outlet point under Golden Gate.
That is why any smoke from Sacramento or Bakersfield will end over Bay Area. So no wonder with Bay Area population making for 1/2 of California residents -smog pollution is hot subject.
This is floating subject. True is that thanks to Federal laws, the cars are getting cleaner and cleaner. But when you start ignoring the law, that opens whole can of worms.

lindenengineering

I will just add a comment or two on this tail pipe pollution.
States understand there are scofflaws and they know what are the vehicles groups make models etc etc . Therefore they know by inference the registration numbers of each vehicle due to drive by random testing. That was clearly determined by a recent symposium I attended for E testers & registered repair shops.
It is so loosely applied in most cases in the USA its really deemed cursory.
If and IF it WAS enforced as you might find in several Euro countries, but I am also thinking of Japan here; then there would be serious repercussions legally against the likes of those who would engage in tampering modifications as well as owners. This is due to very invasive E test programs and factory procedures.

The real issue is serious modification of the exhaust /pollution controls knowing it won't then pass an E test nor withstand a visual muster in another State. Yet in spite of all the ( good verbal intentions) the vehicle is disposed of to another buyer without disclosure of that tampering activity .
Then post sale, the new buyer sadly discovers it needs about $9000 in corrective repairs to make it state E complaint. :thumbdown: o_O

In short he/she got a "Gentleman's tail light bye bye assurance that the vehicle was in good condition & "fit for the purpose intended" as the money changed hands and the deal done!

Of course you can make fun of it, plus references to Mr Caveat Emptor, and when mentioned on this forum in detail, but then beware expect a tirade of abusive replies from members in return ! The terms Jalopies & in Spanish Carcachas, Coche Pichochas really raises hackles !!
Sadly of course the forum web site is of an international theme and it makes me wonder what some other countries think of society here in the USA.

There are (need I mention it) of course some serious implication to public health due to lax emission controls and my daughter in medical school cutting up cadavers in Texas. Noting very high levels of nano carbon particles in dead Texan's lungs and brains.

Avoiding yet another tirade of abuse I will just re -quote a statement from someone in higher office at the Colorado State department.
Oh Texans! They don't want really to be part of the Union and consider all laws don't apply them! Nuff said I suppose!
Oh well carry on trucking but do engage someone qualified to inspect one of these "carcachas" if you are buying a Sprinter .
Think of wallet flush! Yikes !
Dennis

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
No idea what states you're referring to but I have vehicles registered in two states (WA and AZ) and they're both phasing out emission testing.
And even if not eliminating emissions testing completely, most states are moving to OBDII vs. tailpipe/dynamometer testing due to expense. If there is no MIL light and the OBDII readiness monitors are closed and there are no obvious modifications to the vehicle then you pass.

lindenengineering

Exactly
So doing a pre-purchase check.
Emissions cab check is CEL operational? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:
:thumbdown: Has it had "the LED lobotomy"? BIG FIRST Alert !!!:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
Operate scan tool for CEL operation:thumbdown::thumbup:
Scan for codes & sensor data activity especially exhaust, EGR & after treatment activity :thumbdown::thumbup: working yes or no!
Listen for the exhaust tin box racket--system hollowed out ?
:thumbup::thumbdown::thumbdown:
Signs of tuning like EGR stuck at 6%?

Open the hood look for obvious signs of tampering like cooler lines diverted :thumbdown::thumbup:
Get under the rig do "de tump" test on the DPF/Cat with a toffee hammer! Rings like a bell :thumbdown: or dull thud :thumbup:
Do the same with the SCR Cat present not NOT!

Is it replaced by the Texas flutie thingy ?:thumbdown: Oh me gawd! :devilish: No pass! no way Jose!
Hanging sensors :thumbdown::thumbup: Hanging or deleted :thumbdown: No way Jose!:devilish:

Thrash it up the street looking for 75% NOx reduction & BP figures:thumbdown::thumbup:

So will it pass Muster ?

:thumbup::thumbdown:

And if its a :thumbdown::thumbdown:
Don't ask me to present it to my mate Dave who is the E tester and insult our collective intelligence because he and his gang is going to do it all over again plus a rolling road gas E test on top!:thumbup::thumbdown:
So is it an MB thoroughbred or a Texas knobbled Nag? :devilish:
:devilish:

Oh Lor!
Dennis o_O
PS Oh you want it to pass a Colorado E test? Got Dollars /Billete verde

D

Deleted member 50714

220817a

That's because The Green New Deal Nazi's can now monitor vehicle emission performance remotely.

Coming soon... vehicle out of emission compliance, your vehicle is turned off until emission issue corrected. Sorry.
There will always be ways around it... When encrypted EDC17 ECUs first came out, they were a big and difficult problem for the tuners, but with time ways/methods were developed to overcome the encryption.

lindenengineering

Yes there will always be work arounds--BUT.
As I hears from one individual in the Co Dept of Health for emissions, its so small a number, it isn't worth bothering about in the grand scale of things ,Dennis

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Exactly
So doing a pre-purchase check.
Emissions cab check is CEL operational? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:
:thumbdown: Has it had "the LED lobotomy"? BIG FIRST Alert !!!:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
Operate scan tool for CEL operation:thumbdown::thumbup:
Scan for codes & sensor data activity especially exhaust, EGR & after treatment activity :thumbdown::thumbup: working yes or no!
Listen for the exhaust tin box racket--system hollowed out ?
:thumbup::thumbdown::thumbdown:
Signs of tuning like EGR stuck at 6%?

Open the hood look for obvious signs of tampering like cooler lines diverted :thumbdown::thumbup:
Get under the rig do "de tump" test on the DPF/Cat with a toffee hammer! Rings like a bell :thumbdown: or dull thud :thumbup:
Do the same with the SCR Cat present not NOT!

Is it replaced by the Texas flutie thingy ?:thumbdown: Oh me gawd! :devilish: No pass! no way Jose!
Hanging sensors :thumbdown::thumbup: Hanging or deleted :thumbdown: No way Jose!:devilish:

Thrash it up the street looking for 75% NOx reduction & BP figures:thumbdown::thumbup:

So will it pass Muster ?

:thumbup::thumbdown:

And if its a :thumbdown::thumbdown:
Don't ask me to present it to my mate Dave who is the E tester and insult our collective intelligence because he and his gang is going to do it all over again plus a rolling road gas E test on top!:thumbup::thumbdown:
So is it an MB thoroughbred or a Texas knobbled Nag? :devilish:
:devilish:

Oh Lor!
Dennis o_O
PS Oh you want it to pass a Colorado E test? Got Dollars /Billete verde
Cherry blossoms and dandelions?

datachild

I would not pay more than $50-60 dollars for modifying EDC17 ECUs. For EDC16 ECUs, I would not pay a single penny.
Hi Dima, i bought a 2007 Sprinter W906 and it is missing both DPF and Catalysator. Now i ordered Kess from China to turn my DPF off. My ECU is “edc16cp31” so is it easy to do? Maybe witg DPF remover programm? And would you suggest to tune my Sprinter and Stage 1? Can it be done with Titanium or do i need professional guys to edit the ECU file?

turbo911

i think tuning yourself is like brain surgery. some things sb left to somebody who knows what their doing. go to tunemyeuro.com. they did a tune for me on my 07 with 170k. great job, great service, affordable, and superb follow up. they tune and tell you what and what not to disconnect. i no longer have an egr, egr cooler, dpf, and control of ekas system. my dually 170 ave 20 mpg hiway at 65, and has great performance.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
About 25 years ago, I read an article about "Spot" emissions testing in California.
The testers had some sort of infrared camera that they would set up next to an onramp, and "Read" the cars as they passed by.
Their conclusion was that less than 2% of the vehicles put out well over 80% of the emissions.
And the cheapest and most effective way to eliminate emissions would be to cite the owners, giving them 30 days to get it fixed, or California would buy the vehicle from the owner for some undetermined price.
I am pretty sure all you folks doing the deletes would fall into that 2% category. So that is something for you to be proud of.

Top Bottom