Sliding Door Grab Handle

brownvan

2017 4X4 HR 144"
I'm getting ready to put in a grab handle next to the sliding door on the passenger-side B-pillar for easier entry/exit in/out of the van through the sliding door.
I have an 80/20 handle left over and would like to install one or possibly two. 80/20 40-2887 Aluminum Handle
I positioned the handle today temporarily using VHB tape and noticed I could potentially create a pinch point near the sliding door handle if I used the location shown in the first two pics below - if I were to close the door from inside the van with my left hand my fist could impact the handle - right hand would be fine but there's nothing to sort of ensure technique/safety when closing the door from the inside. I guess I could put the handle higher to keep it from making a pinch point. The thought of maybe doing 2 handles also occured to me (see the 3rd pic). Curious as to where folks have mounted their handles if they have done this themselves? For the install, I plan on doing M6 rivet nut's in the B-pillar along with standoffs to fill the gap behind the trim. For the single-handle option, bottom of the handle is approx 40" from the foot step. Handle is approx 7" tall.
I looked at the Sprinter World setup and their placement is also in this pinch area...info on their install directions here and a picture is here

Attachments

autostaretx

Erratic Member
In my T1N, the OEM MB handle was placed (by them at the factory) quite a bit higher than the door latches .. it's up at the lower end of the window. .... and significantly padded.
I've put a white vertical stripe in this image to show where the handle is.
The "leader line" (and "gray handle" text) points to where it's barely visible.

SliderHandle.jpg

--dick (who may did add a photo if i have one)

Last edited:

manwithgun

Unknown member
Mercedes makes a corner bracket for that pillar that is meant to mate with their standard door grab handle. I've got one and am planning to mount on the opposite side of the pillar to assist my elder father with entry and exit from the passenger seat. It's meant to be installed with riv-nuts and also requires two clip-on captive nuts for the MB handle to thread into. Hole spacing is 165mm centers.
EDIT: This is for NCV3s but likely the same handle and parts that autostaretx has pictured above.
IMG_6419.JPGScreen Shot 2020-05-21 at 8.11.48 PM.png

Last edited:

sparkplug

Interesting - I didn't know that was an option manwithgun - thanks!

I just bought a used grab handle like the one that's by the back doors and fitted it with rivnuts into the B-pillar. This doubles up as the fastening for the piece of carpet lined ply which I cut to act as a trim piece for the B-pillar.

Because it's a nice long handle it can be more easily used for getting out as well as getting in and it doesn't get in the way of anything else.

Cost was about $15 + a new coat of paint + 2 rivnuts (can't remember what size) and a couple of bolts.

It's worked well for me. Height position was calculated by getting my wife to pretend to use it for getting in and out while I held it in position as she's the one who uses it most (actually I don't think I've ever used it)

Pic to show where it's placed

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I also purchased all the OEM handle parts from pelicanparts.com for about $75. Total of 8 mounting bolts/Rivnuts makes it very solid. There were marks on the back side of the B pillar showing the hole locations for the two handle screws.

19AB9E7F-518E-486F-8696-4644C9B19C85.jpeg

autostaretx

Erratic Member
On the T1N, the sliding door area grab handle is Dodge # 05103676AA MB # A 000 815 08 36 "Handle, Grab" (18)
It sits in a couple of plastic feet: Dodge: # 05124285AA MB # A 901 815 01 40 "Cover, Assist Handle" (16)
and uses two screws Dodge # 06104142AA, , MB # N 000000 001146 (17)

The numbers in (parentheses) refer to this drawing from the parts list:

SliderGrabBar.png
Unlike some of the other handles, this one does not require an added-on backing plate (it screws to the pillar metal)

--dick

ADVnut

2018 NCV3 144
Thanks for this info!

@gltrimble Any chance you have the part numbers for the parts you used?

@manwithgun It looks like your parts list has multiple handles. I realize that the handle itself is two parts.

Trying to figure out what is needed for a single handle for passenger side slider.

Thanks!

:cheers:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I don’t have the parts list for the slider door handy. The parts list has been posted a few times on this forum. A search using some key words, like “slider door handle”, should find the list.

brownvan

2017 4X4 HR 144"
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm starting to favor the OEM handle abit more now that I've seen the pics supplied by @gltrimble and in the other thread here - I like that it comes off the pillar at a 45 degree angle to avoid creating a pinch point with the sliding door handle at the jam when closing the door. I spent a fair amount of time considering good locations for 2 of those 80/20 handles today after I removed the B-pillar trim and took a closer look at what's available for sheet metal surfaces to put rivet nuts into. Still thinking maybe I'll do a high & low pair of handles - need to avoid the seatbelt spool and the upper adjuster-pulley assembly as far as placement for the rivet nuts. The space for the uppermost rivet nut is pretty slim. I also know it will take some time getting the thru holes in the trim in the correct locations, probably will have to remove some of the plastic ribs, and then I have to get the standoffs in there as well. It's doable but probably/definitely tedious.
Any chance @gltrimble that you can post a picture of the NCV3 OEM handle with the sliding door closed? Just curious how it all looks in it's proximity to the door handle,
Here's a pic of what I'm considering at the moment, the handles are held with VHB temporarily, and they would likely use 3/4" long aluminum standoffs for the screws to fill the space on the backside of the trim. Or possibly use male-female threaded standoffs into the rivet nuts...similar to 93655A256 so that the standoff is captive to the rivet nut.

Attachments

Last edited:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Here are some pictures of my slider handle. No chance for pinching. I find the one handle more than adequate. My van sits relatively high, 24” from ground to the slider step. The handle is 47” to the center from the slider step. My 5’ 4” tall wife has no trouble reaching the slider handle.

5CEF1FFE-4D4C-49D4-90D0-58567A740CF5.jpeg055086DC-CE8D-465D-B64D-BEB4BA3ED4C8.jpeg

klompen

I also purchased all the OEM handle parts from pelicanparts.com for about $75. Total of 8 mounting bolts/Rivnuts makes it very solid. There were marks on the back side of the B pillar showing the hole locations for the two handle screws.

View attachment 141879
I can't seem to find these parts on Pelicans site (at least as one listing for all the stuff that is needed). Can you provide a link, or it a matter of using the oem parts list from manwithgun's previous post?

Last edited:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I can't seem to find these parts on Pelicans site (at least as one listing for all the stuff that is needed). Can you provide a link, or it a matter of using the poem parts list from manwithgun's previous post?
With Pelican Parts you need to know the part numbers. Searching by part names will yield very little. I would try the part numbers provided in the earlier link.

brownvan

2017 4X4 HR 144"
Mercedes makes a corner bracket for that pillar that is meant to mate with their standard door grab handle. I've got one and am planning to mount on the opposite side of the pillar to assist my elder father with entry and exit from the passenger seat. It's meant to be installed with riv-nuts and also requires two clip-on captive nuts for the MB handle to thread into. Hole spacing is 165mm centers.
EDIT: This is for NCV3s but likely the same handle and parts that autostaretx has pictured above.
View attachment 141844
Can you let me know the diameter of those 8X mounting holes? It sounds like others have installed the bracket using #10 rivet nuts - I am considering just using some 3/16" stainless rivets but wanted to get a sense on those holes.

Boathik

Tinkerer extraordinaire
I followed Diesel Fumes instructions and I’m very happy with the outcome. Why these handles are not standard, especially on the 4x4 is beyond me.

VS30 manual shows B pillar as non-drilling area. Comments?
There are explosive *squibs* to tension the shoulder belts in the event of a crash. The parts and wiring are contained inside the pillar. You don't want to damage those parts.

"Squib" may not be Mercedes speak. I believe that is the term that Autostaretx Dick uses.

For T1N owners.

I attached a handle to the passenger seat back. Works great. Not a bad DIY install.

Post #39 here.

Just as an example. The handles come in various colors.

vic

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There are explosive *squibs* to tension the shoulder belts in the event of a crash. The parts and wiring are contained inside the pillar. You don't want to damage those parts.

"Squib" may not be Mercedes speak. I believe that is the term that Autostaretx Dick uses.
1597637608500.png

They may call the things in the pillars "tensioners", but the things driving them (and the airbags) are called the "squib circuits"

--dick (ever wonder how my mis-spent youth included knowing that word?)

G

Gsand31415

PelicanParts lists 906-631-02-25-64-MBZ as a left side part but I can see from pix that gltrimble installed on a starboard side slider like mine. Any problem using this part? Pelican couldn't answer the question in chat.

Also, do you screw in the A906 815 01 36 7J69 handle and then the A906 815 00 36 7J69 cover snaps over it to hide the screws?

Top Bottom