New Promaster engine

lindenengineering

Well today we started on a new to us Dodge Promaster repair !
Our first, with a replacement gasoline engine.
This one lost it compression at 132,000 miles,
So its getting a rebuilt Jasper.
Cost is just shy of $5000 retail with a $600 dress kit and 16 hours of install.
Unlike the Sprinter, this unit drops out the bottom of the van like the Dodge Caravan, its predecessor.
Funny to us, but much of the undercarriage main components have Fiat or Alpha Romeo stickers on it all.
Parlimo Italiano?
Dennis

manwithgun

First time wandering in here but I thought it was common knowledge that the Dodge Promaster was based on the Fiat Ducato. Reminds me of the surprise I felt discovering all of the Ford parts that were used to build up my 2005 POS Volvo!

Quote:
Starting in 2009, Ram engineers started worked on adapting Fiat vans to American needs. The Ram ProMaster, based on the front-wheel-drive Fiat Ducato, was the first jointly developed product of Ram Truck and Fiat Professional. Production was at Chrysler’s Satillo (Mexico) plant, because it is in two overlapping free trade zones.
What did Chrysler change? An engineer told us:
We have engineers that worked with Sprinter, so we took all our lessons learned and things we wanted to change or couldn’t change. We got unlimited “whatever you want” inside. That’s why you see a lot of those changes in there, like the big cup holders, the radio in different places [than the Fiat], the knobs, everything. There’s no “squiggly line button” and you’re saying, “What the heck does that button mean?” None of those. [We spent] three years working that tailbone off. You know, the whole group working on that trying to make it just the way we could.
Under the skin, ProMaster was retuned for rougher roads and higher payloads, with more corrosion protection. The Ram ProMaster has a maximum 5,145 pound payload capacity, with a 5,100 pound maximum towing capacity. The gross combined weight rating for the 3.6-liter V6 is 11,500 pounds and 12,500 pounds for the 3.0-liter diesel. These capacities are far higher than Fiat Ducato, whose maximum payload is roughly 3,472 pounds.

lindenengineering

Oh yes!
Three days into the hand over we got a come back, CEL on!
Scan showed a cam phaser issue on bank one. Re-calibrated the phasers.
All seemed well.
Vehicle handed back.
Several days later it was back same issue.
We re-calibrated the cam phasers sensors AGAIN and it was seemingly ultimately resolved by changing out bank #1 exhaust phaser position sensor.
That lasted for about five days and it was back with the same issue , except this time we got valve train noise (chain(s) & lifters ) with it, as an added bonus.
On cold start up the engine exhibited excessive mechanical timing chain noise emissions from bank #1 & same CEL problem, & rough kerbside idle
Report the issue to Jasper .
Agreed on a possible warranty claim for a defective engine.
As a comment:- Study of the valve train oiling system seems a bit over the top in complication for what it is supposed to achieve compared to competitors.
Drop the oil viscosity to 0/20 , re-calibrate and let customer use it "as is" for feedback.
Worked for 5 days then it was back !
Resolution , Replace engine unit under warranty .
This replacement engine shows better valve train phaser control and tighter on spec adherence.
Van is now back with the customer. Let's hope it stay that way.

So far there seems to be no significant major updates on the transmission other than service problem fixes .
In any case its doesn't in my opinion measure up to the competition on shift quality and shift readiness associated with a modern electronic transmission unit.
Dennis

HarryN

So far there seems to be no significant major updates on the transmission other than service problem fixes .
In any case its doesn't in my opinion measure up to the competition on shift quality and shift readiness associated with a modern electronic transmission unit.
Dennis
Thanks. I can live with outdated shift quality. The main concern I have with that vehicle is power going up and down hills and mountains with some heavier build out in back and keeping up with 70 mph traffic.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Thanks. I can live with outdated shift quality. The main concern I have with that vehicle is power going up and down hills and mountains with some heavier build out in back and keeping up with 70 mph traffic.
Our local UPS driver was given a Promater to test on his route. He liked to drive the vehicle compared to his larger old brown. The route is not in a city but out in the country with narrow roads and hills. You know the area since you visited.

He could not deliver packages to some of his customers when it rained. No traction with FWD in wet conditions. He had to wait for a dry day. A full UPS van would be like a conversion.

He would regularly show up with one of the reliable old vans because the Promaster had issues. I think it had two transmissions replaced. After about 6 months they gave up on the Promaster and he was back in old brown. Van was not reliable for their use.

I kind of smiled because one of the reasons I had decided against the Promaster was the transmission. It is the same unit that is used in the minivan. I was concerned about the transmission used in a minivan would not be adequate for a possibly much heavier large van. From what I read the transmission had been strengthened for the Promaster application.

Top Bottom