How many miles on your T1N ?

mrcolin2u

2005 Sprinter
I see threads here where member s have over 200k or even 300k miles on their Sprinters.
Mine is a 2005 ( manufactured in November 2004) It is a class B RV by Airstream.
6 years ago when I purchased the van it had 47k miles and I now have 90.7k miles. Planning a big trip next week and expect to do around 4000 miles up to Zion, Grand Teton, Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon .
I love this van and hope to keep it for a long time so I'm curious how many miles have others racked up on their vans ?
Cheers
Colin

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
RV’s generally accumulate fewer annual miles than other types of Sprinters but it looks like you’ve been making up for lost time and racking up the miles much faster than the previous owner. That’s a good thing. T1N’s that are driven regularly seem to wear better than those that just sit around most of the time.
My 2006 140 T1N is my daily driver and currently has only 205K on the clock.
On a long journey like you have planned, it’s reasonable to expect a few minor issues (turbo hoses, resonator, etc..) and plan accordingly. Also make sure that your brakes are in good shape.
Enjoy

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Mine is a daily driver. I purchased the 2006 in 2008 with 298,000 miles.
I had the carfax on it, showing each oil change and mileage. in 16 months it did all the miles. My mechanic noted it had the original brakes, "He never had time to stop." I calculated about 475 miles a day to get that distance. An AZ vehicle, it had pitted windshield, hood and headlights. Inside dust and a whip antenna made me think it was used as a drug mule.
I've now had it 12 years and have yet to put 100k on it.
Over the years, I've had just about everything done. New turbo, AC, injectors, glow plugs, radiator, all the pumps. One thing I scored when I first picked it up, I found a totaled sprinter interior and got newer seats. I also swapped my bumper and steel wheels for a step and mags. A straight across deal.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Bring along a roll of self-amalgam silicone repair tape. It works well to wrap a split hose on the road.
1590000663880.jpeg
-dave (200k miles)

HelloPitty

My 2004 158" was purchased 4 years ago with 233,000 miles and today it has 255,000.
I was fortunate the two prior owners took great care of it and kept all service records.
Once I bought it, I had all the preventative maintenance done so that I could start with a clean slate for my own records.

Nautamaran

Can I get that at Pep Boys ?
I have no idea, but it’s pretty common stuff. I’ve used it for years for various tasks... the key words to look for are “self fusing/sticking” and “no residue”.

I cleaned the hose with an alcohol wipe (from a 1st aid kit) to remove any oil, then used four layers of wraps (down and back twice), with each turn stretched to “neck” the tape by 1/3 and 50% overlapped with previous layer. Don’t touch the active surfaces between layers. It held fine for the three weeks it took me to get around to replacing the hose, and I still carry it as a spare.
1590005704489.jpeg
-dave

Last edited:

mrcolin2u

2005 Sprinter
I have no idea, but it’s pretty common stuff. I’ve used it for years for various tasks... the key words to look for are “self fusing/sticking” and “no residue”.

I cleaned the hose with an alcohol wipe (from a 1st aid kit) to remove any oil, then used four layers of wraps (down and back twice), with each turn stretched to “neck” the tape by 1/3 and 50% overlapped with previous layer. Don’t touch the active surfaces between layers. It held fine for the three weeks it took me to get around to replacing the hose, and I still carry it as a spare.
View attachment 141702
-dave
I was meaning to order some 3M lineman rubber splice tape bit I didn't !! It's good stuff that works well for patching hoses !

eranrund

2005 with 267,000 miles. Ex-FedEx vehicle. Purchased with 256k miles two years ago.
So far so good, has a bunch of small things (fan clutch, turbo oil leak, preventative hose replacements, etc.). It's currently back at the shop for a transmission leak (seeing oil both at front and rear of transmission - not from the usual connector area). We'll see what thats about...

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
Another low mileage 06 chassis MH here. Only swapped out the aluminum resonator for a doorman replacement, Agile fox's and Konis, a Nautabox, tires, belt, battery, T-L-S, and a tranny service! Bought it with 39K 3 1/2 years ago. 56k now. I have 2 other friends with 2500 06's and might disagree with this statement...
On a long journey like you have planned, it’s reasonable to expect a few minor issues (turbo hoses, resonator, etc..) and plan accordingly.
I'll agree with the plan accordingly part.... We did a couple K to Lake Tahoe and Yosemite with all of our trips starting and finishing at 7000'. 1000-1500 mile baja trips regularly and the roads are not kind, at least hundred dirt on most trips down there. I did however own a 1971 westfalia Bus and was good at roadside repairs...

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
It's currently back at the shop for a transmission leak (seeing oil both at front and rear of transmission - not from the usual connector area). We'll see what thats about...
Check the cooler. I just had a leak at the oil cooler. Mechanic said it was old age.

eranrund

It turns out it's leaking from the rear main seal (aka rear crankshaft seal). I am not sure if I should address it or wait, it's a large (read: expensive) job (taking off the transmission)...

Nautamaran

(the rear seal isn’t a pressure-holding element, so you can put off repairs until the drips become enough of a nuisance to warrant the repair cost. You can buy a lot of driveway diapers - google “spill kit pads“ - for that money...)

glasseye

More than six times around the planet sitting in this seat.

Still running velvet-smooth at 160K miles. The only non-maintenance cost is a split charge air hose at about 140K miles.

Nautamaran

True, but the art is in knowing what to replace when - or is that “when to replace what”? That you describe that owner as a “regular” says a lot about both of you. ?
Being penny smart and pound foolish is certainly the enemy in many auto maintenance decisions... so being well advised by a competent shop is a treat (of course finding that shop can be an expensive journey). Owning something this old only makes sense while it can be held together at a reasonable cost of time and money. With roughly one oil change and one day of repair work per year I’m well into the “keep” end of the ledger with mine.
Thanks to everyone here for putting some fun and community into the calculation!

Last edited:

Top Bottom