Rewiring USB Ports

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
Has anyone rewired the factory usb ports to run off an aftermarket aux battery setup? Currently the rear passenger ports are only able to charge with the ignition switched on, and the 12v seat base is accessory. I haven't owned a vehicle that didn't have something hot with the key off. I can't find a reason why I couldn't cut the wires and rewire from my aux fuse block and haven't found an answer while searching the forum. I want them hot all the time.

I'm going to add a single battery to add charging capability, a small air compressor and a water pump for camping/ beach washdowns. Already purchased a si-acr and still working through my wiring setup.

JIB

I don't have my van here to verify, but I believe the USB-C one under the cup holders in the bottom center of the dash is hot all of the time. It's a single USB-C. We keep a cord on it because it's easier to use than the ones in the top of the dash.

Jack

I don't have my van here to verify, but I believe the USB-C one under the cup holders in the bottom center of the dash is hot all of the time. It's a single USB-C. We keep a cord on it because it's easier to use than the ones in the top of the dash.

Jack
It is not hot all the time. Once engine is shut off and you open drivers side door the power is killed to radio and USB-C

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If you have an MB-installed "additional battery" (under the passenger seat or under hood), then they tie the USB-C socket to that.
If you don't have that extra battery, the USB-C socket is powered by the starter battery.

So, depending upon your pile of options, "your mileage may differ" regarding that socket's power status.

AuxBattPowers.png

USBsockets.png

--dick

Last edited:

430 hp 70

I do not have the factory aux battery but I don't believe that it changes when the usbc outlets are powered, only where they get their power from. I could be totally wrong.

If the above is true and the outlets remain hot with the factory aux battery, where do they terminate and how could I move them to my aftermarket house battery? Are they tied to a buss bar under the drivers seat and possibly as simple as moving a connection to a different buss bar?

430 hp 70

The 2019 equipment book lists the word "sockets" only twice and only for the usb ports and 12v outlets. The BEG has the diagram for the 150/5 and it lists A5 and A6 as the connection for "sockets". I'm assuming these connections on the 150/5 are where the factory aux battery connects to the charging ports. Anyone know for sure? Where do the sockets connect when we dont have a f150/5?

Attachments

65C02

From the "USB Ports overview" chart above, my concern is that any ports listing "data transfer" would be tied into the MBUX for not only data lines but also 5V power. With that, for my build, the plan is to "try" and get the MBUX radio, Hotspot and inverter all over to the house battery - taking those USB ports along for the ride - maintaining MBUX port connectivity. I don't think I have the center dash charging package, but have wireless charging and usb-c under the dash flap.

430 hp 70

Thanks for the help. According to the equipment guide, the dash charging is on the aux battery (if equipped), but it appears that option V21 (passenger row usb) is not. You make a good point about the usbc being 5v. May be more complicated than just clipping and rewiring. My van is in the shop so I can't confirm any of this unfortunately.

Is it possible to power the mbux separately from the rest of the vehicle? I'm already putting the amp on the aux, but planned on using it's aux input to play music. That would simplify things even more.

Bordi45

I haven't done it yet, but the next time I have the passenger seat off I plan to install a 12v outlet in the hole on the front left side of the passenger seat base and power it from my house batteries.

430 hp 70

I just put a dual usb fast charging port in that spot and rewired the 12v in the drivers base, both now powered off my house battery. I pulled the headliner yesterday and ran the wiring for the factory rear seat usb ports as well. I plan on drilling the factory plastic piece and putting a fast charging port in them until I make something to replace the whole piece. I abandoned the idea of just rewiring the factory port since it wasn't a quick charger.

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Thanks for the help. According to the equipment guide, the dash charging is on the aux battery (if equipped), but it appears that option V21 (passenger row usb) is not. You make a good point about the usbc being 5v. May be more complicated than just clipping and rewiring. My van is in the shop so I can't confirm any of this unfortunately.
Hi, maybe there is one (or more) dedicated fuses for the V21 USB ports.
If so, you could disconnect them at the fuse box and re-route to the house.
If not, you could probably still disconnect each set and rewire it. I suspect the wiring is all 12V, and each set has it's own 5V converter... You should be able to see the converters if they're there.

Note even though they're USB-C, they do not, afaict, have PD.
And ANY connected USB ports will have some parasitic power draw for the 12-5V converters.
So you might want to have a switch to disable them, if the idle load is significant.

RVBarry

I started my last reply before this was showing...
I plan on drilling the factory plastic piece and putting a fast charging port in them until I make something to replace the whole piece. I abandoned the idea of just rewiring the factory port since it wasn't a quick charger.
Please let us know what you use to replace them... I'm planning to get the "luxury" passenger walls and ceiling interior as well, for an RV conversion.
If 12V cigarette plugs fit, that might be the most practical, with Anchor PD chargers.
I like the Blue Sea stuff, but their hard-wire USB ports are outdated (no USB-C) and expensive. And USB changes often enough that I'm reluctant to hardwire.

Thanks

RVBarry

for the factory rear seat usb ports as well. I plan on drilling the factory plastic piece and putting a fast charging port in them until I make something to replace the whole piece. I abandoned the idea of just rewiring the factory port since it wasn't a quick charger.
Hi, did you find a replacement for the rear USB ports?
Thanks

dmduncan2000

2023 AWD Sprinter High Roof 144 Passenger Van

Is it possible to power the mbux separately from the rest of the vehicle? I'm already putting the amp on the aux, but planned on using it's aux input to play music. That would simplify things even more.
Dis you figure out a solution? I would like to do the same thing in my 2023 passenger van.

MyOtherCar

Dis you figure out a solution? I would like to do the same thing in my 2023 passenger van.
My van has the Aux battery, as well the 6hr MBUX run time option.
(Side note: The 6 hr runtime option was part of an RV option package, that was only available on the cargo vans. It also added "Incomplete vehicle" to the vin number, and changes the ESP software to accommodate a vehicle with a higher CG. The expectation is that these vans go to an upfitter for conversion to an RV)
1) The center USB port stays on for around 6hrs
2) The 12V socket in the seat base is always on and draws power from the aux battery.
3) The rear USB ports only have power when the ignition is on, and are powered by 2 separate fuses

Planned modifications,
1) Remove the feeder for the USB fuses and connect it to the aux battery
2) add 12V sockets powered by the Aux battery
3) Utilize the PSMs I/O and add a timer to shut off 1 & 2, four hrs after the van is inactive. (This will remove the parasitic drains on the Aux battery.)

Top Bottom