PRIVACY NOTE: Profile Posts and Conversations

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
For those who may be a bit thick like I can be, and didn't figure this out right away...
Sikwan helped me.

Profile Posts are public. After clicking your member name in the upper right, your Profile Posts can be accessed by clicking your name within the drop down box. Just clicking the upper right member name will not reveal your Profile Post list. You need the extra step.

"Conversations" are the old PM Personal Messages. They are private the same as the PM's were. When logged in, your Conversations can be accessed by clicking the envelop in the upper right.

I know it is basic stuff for many, but thought that I'd share.

FWIW.
vic

Added:
New members need to enable Conversations.

Here's how thanks to Cheyenne. :thumbup:

You need to go into your Account details (click on your username top right) then under Privacy make sure the checkbox against 'Start conversations with you:' is set to 'Members only'.

Default seems to be 'Nobody'.

Keith.
A bit more detailed explanation. Thanks goes to Sailquik. :thumbup:

Merky sprinter,
OK, I/we figured out why I could not send the data card to you.
You need to go to the blue bar at the top of the page.
Look for the envelope symbol.
Just to the left of the envelope symbol is a circle where your Avatar would go.
Click on the circle/dot.
This will take you to "Your Account"
On the LH side, scroll down to "Privacy"
Scroll down (in "Privacy") to "Allow User to:
Scroll down to "Conversations":
Change the setting (up/down arrows) to: Members.
Yours is no set to Nobody!!.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Probably many other new members in the same situation, so if you are not getting
any "conversations", your setting is "nobody".
New members need to check this to get the full value of this forum.
Of course, if you are shy, or don't want anything to do with "conversations", set the switch
to nobody.
Conversations are private, only between the members stated in the email string at the
top of the thread.

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
What is the purpose of a Profile Post, and why would or should one use them? Why not just have and use formal Posts?

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
What is the purpose of a Profile Post, and why would or should one use them? Why not just have and use formal Posts?
I'm not exactly sure what they are good for. Maybe if someone wants to thank you publicly and not clutter the forum?

Most times when I receive Profile Posts or even PM's my response includes a recommendation to post to the public forum. As Sikwan says, "Our strength is in the collective".

vic

sailquik

Vic,
How does one "turn on" conversations".
Is there a click box or a switch/choice that new members need to change (from the default at first
sign in/registration)?
I looked, but didn't see anything but I'm sort of like you.......it takes a while for the obvious to soak
into this old brain.
I asked Seek this question, so maybe we will both learn something today?
Regards,
Roger

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Vic,
How does one "turn on" conversations"...

Regards,
Roger
You need to go into your Account details (click on your username top right) then under Privacy make sure the checkbox against 'Start conversations with you:' is set to 'Members only'.

Default seems to be 'Nobody'.

Keith.

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
From Sikwan

"Click on Username (icon) --> Privacy --> Start conversations with you"

Same as Cheyenne said above.

If "Nobody" is the default, anyone that was migrated over from the previous software wouldn't need to check that. Or maybe people would leave it because they think they will be spammed. They won't be.

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom