Overhead Storage with Factor Headliner

EinarJ

Curious if anyone has experience with doing overhead storage cabinets or mule bag like options with a factory headliner installed. I’ve seen a few builds where it looks like people have trimmed out the headliner to accommodate for fitting the cabinets/storage more flush to the wall. I talked to Adventure Wagon and was told their mule bags could work but would need a spacer behind the bottom part of the bag to push them out a bit to accommodate for the curve of the factory headliner. Would love to know what other’s experience has been. Thanks!!

window2time

GLJones, I like this setup. I went to their website and couldn't find where they sell that shelf system separately but I saw it on their custom vans. Were you able to buy it separately from Vannon and did you install it yourself. How do you like it?

Our shelves from Vannon.com. They have an elastic net that closes over the opening that wasn't installed when I took the first photo.

GLJones

GLJones, I like this setup. I went to their website and couldn't find where they sell that shelf system separately but I saw it on their custom vans. Were you able to buy it separately from Vannon and did you install it yourself. How do you like it?
It's not on their website. You have to contact them about it. They can customize them to your needs as well. We had our uplifter install them with the divider and more, but I understand it's an easy install and they provide all the hardware.

I used the adventure wagon mule bags on mine with oem headliner. I used LTrack with rivnuts. It was not hard. I will go this route again on my new build I am doing. Love these bags no noise or rattling.
Did you use spacers when you attached the Ltrack using the OEM liner?

I used the adventure wagon mule bags on mine with oem headliner. I used LTrack with rivnuts. It was not hard. I will go this route again on my new build I am doing. Love these bags no noise or rattling.
Dan—we have a partially converted 15 passenger Sprinter van. I have the factory headliner and I just ordered two mule bags and L-Track. And I ordered a rivnut kit to help with the installation. Roger Eaton

todtan

cacampervans.com specialize in doing this type of conversion...weekender using as much of the stock interior as possible.

AC and storage options (002).jpg

Dan—we have a partially converted 15 passenger Sprinter van. I have the factory headliner and I just ordered two mule bags and L-Track. And I ordered a rivnut kit to help with the installation. Roger Eaton
Rivnuts are great but we are using Plus Nuts on all of our builds now for anything that has to hold any weight. I will post pics when I get back on my personal build, just need to finish up a build we have in the shop first.

We used the Rivnut kit and worked around the factory headliner. I got a extra L-Track and I put it where we are going to install the Trail Kitchen.994FB2AF-ADAF-4866-B092-202B556590D3.jpegF3F9CFEA-2F2A-4BC3-9EBF-CDF8B816A6E3.jpeg

JBar

I'm working on a basic weekender van setup for two adults, two kids, (and two dogs). I have a 170wb passenger van and I used the factory headliner. I installed rails of 80/20 with plus nuts (with wood spacers behind the gap between the headliner and the plus nuts above the windows). I'm using soft pet crates for overhead storage because they have a some form to them and you can zip them open from all but the bottom and the side against the wall (didn't want to crank my head on hard cabinets, mule bags were a bit expensive for me)IMG_4826.JPGIMG_4837.JPGIMG_4838.JPGIMG_4820.JPGIMG_4817.JPG

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
This is what I came up with. I had a deadline to leave on a trip and have not yet fabricated the doors. Am still on first outing in van, so pardon the cluttered, open cabinets.

Upper aluminum angle bolted through headliner to roof bows, and lower wooden mount bolted through headliner to frame provide the rock solid supports for the cabinets. The last picture shows the single upper rail screwed to the upper aluminum angle, while you can also see the lower wooden rail. The headliner was not cut - all cabinets trimmed to headliner so as to have a 'clean back' inside the cabinets.

Attachments

Alta Boy

I'm working on a basic weekender van setup for two adults, two kids, (and two dogs). I have a 170wb passenger van and I used the factory headliner. I installed rails of 80/20 with plus nuts (with wood spacers behind the gap between the headliner and the plus nuts above the windows). I'm using soft pet crates for overhead storage because they have a some form to them and you can zip them open from all but the bottom and the side against the wall (didn't want to crank my head on hard cabinets, mule bags were a bit expensive for me)View attachment 196217View attachment 196218View attachment 196219View attachment 196220View attachment 196222
Brilliant!

Top Bottom