Sprinter Cell Phone Booster....do they work?

I've been reading reviews about cell phone boosters and how they work. What I understand is there must be at least a small signal for it to have something to improve.
I wanted to know has anyone ever installed one in their Sprinter and was there significant reception improvement or are there other options?

JUSTAGUY

St Cloud, WI
Yes they work. I have the Weboost Reach in my RV.
PM me if you want details.
Wilson Signal is where I got mine. Choice of antennas matters

Wilson and Weboost are the same company

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Performance will vary greatly depending on several factors (probably why some report they work well and others say they don't work at all -- both can be true depending on circumstances.) First, as you noted there must be a reasonable outside signal level. Also maintaining a proper separation between the outside and inside (re-radiating) antennas is critical. Most units will specify a Minimum Required Separation Distance (MRSD) based on the model's system gain and this must be adhered to for good performance. If installed properly they can work well and if not you probably won't be happy with the results.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
They mostly don't work. There are certain circumstances under which they can help, but if you look up the few careful tests (rather than the near-infinite number of anecdotes from random Guys on the Internet), you will find that they are of marginal value overall. The reason is clear: They DO increase signal strength, and if that is your problem, they will help. But the number of bars isn't what matters, it is the signal/noise ratio. The problem is that antenna amplifiers amplify the noise along with the signal. This doesn't help under most conditions.

The people who swear that they work usually plug them in, watch the number of bars jump and run to their keyboards to write a positive review. What they DO do is to bring the signal from outside your metal box to the inside. This can be useful to some people. This is what makes them not-quite-snake-oil.

Far better to get a WiFi hotspot with MiMo antenna inputs and put a good MiMo antenna on your roof. This will do FAR better under most circumstances. All you have to do is turn on WiFi calling on your phone and make your calls over the data network. MiMo rules.

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Far better to get a WiFi hotspot with MiMo antenna inputs and put a good MiMo antenna on your roof. This will do FAR batter under most circumstances. All you have to do is turn on WiFi calling on your phone and make your calls over the data network. MiMo rules.
This is quite true and I should have added it. A booster should only be attempted as a last resort if a dedicated antenna and hotspot cannot be employed for some reason as the latter is indeed a much better solution (less finicky to install and will virtually always provide superior performance.)

JUSTAGUY

St Cloud, WI
If you want data, and not anecdotal negative or positive reports, go to

There is a cost to join, but their data is good, and has been used by many who RV. I made a purchase against there recommendation - and it did not work. the one I have now works great.
As mentioned above, which antennas and how they are placed makes a huge difference
Blanket statements that they do not work are wrong
MIMO antennas do help, but not to the extent of a good booster
You did specify Sprinter. If you meant Sprint, make sure whatever your pick covers all the bands that Sprint employs. Some do not

SprinterSnale

'05 T1N 3500 - NorCalSprinterCampout
The WeBoost cradle style systen has been great in our van for improving signal while on the fringe of service. It improves ability to get text, calls and emails out in areas where we have one bar. It’s improvement may not allow streaming services. It has been great for years. I have a directional antennae as well, but find its slight improvement not worth toting unless we are in the desert.

pfflyer

For me they mostly do work. If I can make and receive calls and we are able to hear each other clearly and check email, the trip is good. The WeBoost RV has worked 95% of the time when we were not able to do the above inside the RV but were marginally able to outside. I have a Verision hotspot with MiMo magnetic antennas for almost a year as well but that didn't work either when the Weboost wouldn't. When we were moving and the first few weeks in the new house I couldn't make/recieve calls or check email inside or out side the house unless I walked down the street with AT&T. The Weboost antenna hoisted up a telescoping pole outside allowed some calls but email and text messaging worked great. Since then I switched to Verizon which had better service in my area. The MiMo antennas and Verizon did help with streaming movies but to the naked ear no difference in sound quality on calls verses WeBoost. No test equipment to form my opinion but just real world experience from some random guy on the internet.

Last edited:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I see WeBoost is finally packaging the components that work best in one box now. Previously you had to buy the parts separately. This kit includes the amplifier, trucker exterior antenna, and the RV interior antenna. This combo provides the best possible reception. Used it successfully today in the Laguna Mountains.

weBoost Drive X RV (471410) Cell Phone Signal Booster | U.S. Company | All U.S. Carriers - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint & More | FCC Approved https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TYGJ9TV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_CqkWEb52CBCFZ

59DBAC5A-0635-40C1-9482-4071B6C05FB1.jpeg

not sure if this is common knowledge but...
My booster has never worked that great. Yesterday with 0 service I was messing around with my iPhone settings. I noticed roaming had been turned off so I turned it back one.
it was like a magic button. A bunch of emails and texts came thru. Now my booster works great and I’ve been getting great service in areas I normally get none.

just letting you guys know Incase you’ve had similar issues.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
not sure if this is common knowledge but...
My booster has never worked that great. Yesterday with 0 service I was messing around with my iPhone settings. I noticed roaming had been turned off so I turned it back one.
it was like a magic button. A bunch of emails and texts came thru. Now my booster works great and I’ve been getting great service in areas I normally get none.

just letting you guys know Incase you’ve had similar issues.
I think that how well a signal booster works and whether or not you are roaming are two separate but related concerns. If your phone is "roaming" then it is connecting to networks that aren't operated by the company that you buy your phone service from. You can "roam" to these other networks if your phone company makes deals with other networks. This will work whether or not you have a booster. Sounds like your phone company provides your phone with the ability to "roam" to other networks, but this ability was turned off locally at your phone. You might want to make sure that you won't pay extra for roaming (or that you don't mind how much it costs); some providers charge extra, others don't.

The signal booster enhances your ability to send signals back and forth to the cell towers that connect you to a network, no matter whether the network is your company's network or a network for which your company has a roaming agreement.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Yes. Turning on roaming almost certainly caused your phone to switch to a different (and louder) cell tower. Flipping from tower to tower is one of the many potential events that can trick people into believing that these products are actually effective. Confirmation bias tends to cause us to pay attention to the events that cause improvements, but to discount the ones that do the opposite. At least I did that for a long time, until I learned how to read the secret maintenance mode information, which lets you measure real engineering parameters such as S/N ratios, and can also tell you which tower you are talking to. Only a blind, randomized A/B test will actually tell the tale of how well this stuff works and under what circumstances. There are just too many variables for anecdotal stories to tell us much.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
lol you don’t think I tried that. Outside of van no service. Inside van next to antenna works fine.
Not casting aspersions on you in particular. It is just that many people see more bars and immediately declare success,

Could you tell us more about the conditions of the test? E.G., was it a clear shot but a long distance to the tower, or a cluttered path? Was the booster antenna directional or omni?
I have never said that these things never help, just that the situations under which they do are rare. It is helpful to have these situations documented.

Last edited:

Top Bottom