Winnebago Porto 24F

RamblinFamily

Hi everyone. I'm new here and to the RV game in general. We're family roadtrippers. Usually do 3-4 small trips a year and a big one every summer (Average 2200 miles over 2-3 weeks). We've rented every class of RV out there and we're looking to pull the trigger soon on our own RV.

My family is considering the Winnebago Porto 24F and I was wondering if there were any owners here that had advice. If you own one or know someone who does let me know the general opinion and anything to watch out for when purchasing or expected upgrades right from the start.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer from your experiences.

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
As with almost all Sprinter cab chassis based class C motorhomes, Occupants and Cargo Carrying Capacity (OCCC) is always suspect. Before you splash the cash, check that out. Also, keep in mind that the more of the usable GVWR/GCWR you use up on the tow vehicle end, the less towing capacity remains, if you decide to tow a car/whatever. Very important to investigate before buying.
The 3500 Sprinter cab chassis itself is the most robust non-Ford chassis currently in use by upfitters, but you have to watch your weights closely, to avoid an unsafe driving or towing situation. The 3.0L V6 turbo-diesel and transmission are also pretty robust for their size, and your fuel mileage will beat most other class C motorhomes on the roaad.

RamblinFamily

As with almost all Sprinter cab chassis based class C motorhomes, Occupants and Cargo Carrying Capacity (OCCC) is always suspect. Before you splash the cash, check that out. Also, keep in mind that the more of the usable GVWR/GCWR you use up on the tow vehicle end, the less towing capacity remains, if you decide to tow a car/whatever. Very important to investigate before buying.
The 3500 Sprinter cab chassis itself is the most robust non-Ford chassis currently in use by upfitters, but you have to watch your weights closely, to avoid an unsafe driving or towing situation. The 3.0L V6 turbo-diesel and transmission are also pretty robust for their size, and your fuel mileage will beat most other class C motorhomes on the roaad.
Thank you. We did actually note that GCWR doesn't leave a lot of head room for a "toad". If I am reading it correctly the GCWR is 15,250 and GVWR is 11,030. If we load the RV with about 1600 lbs of people, gear, tongue weight and fluid combined, that should leave about 2500 lbs for a toad if I did my math correctly. Our plan was to tow a Honda Fit as a dinghy vehicle although we will likely only do that on the big summer road trip.

Have you had any mechanical trouble out of the ordinary? Any problems with the slide out?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
If I am reading it correctly the GCWR is 15,250 and GVWR is 11,030. If we load the RV with about 1600 lbs of people, gear, tongue weight and fluid combined, that should leave about 2500 lbs for a toad if I did my math correctly.
To answer your question, I do not think you have done your math correctly!

The GVWR is actually the MAXIMUM the RV can weigh INCLUDING all occupants and gear. You seem to have added occupants, etc, onto the GVWR which is incorrect.

You need to know either the unladen weight or the OCCC from the RV's door sticker to know exactly what you can carry.

You are correct then that the TOAD weight is GCWR - GVWR so your TOAD can weigh 4,220 lb.

I'm sure someone else will point out if I've got anything wrong with my math!

Keith.

RamblinFamily

To answer your question, I do not think you have done your math correctly!

The GVWR is actually the MAXIMUM the RV can weigh INCLUDING all occupants and gear. You seem to have added occupants, etc, onto the GVWR which is incorrect.

You need to know either the unladen weight or the OCCC from the RV's door sticker to know exactly what you can carry.

You are correct then that the TOAD weight is GCWR - GVWR so your TOAD can weigh 4,220 lb.

I'm sure someone else will point out if I've got anything wrong with my math!

Keith.

RamblinFamily

Thank you. That's great news. So I actually have even more head room than I anticipated. That's always a good thing.

I was going based on the door placard picture posted on camping world. It appears to be from Mercedes and not the dealer, which I would tend to trust more.

Any weird gotchas with DEF fluid? I work as a paramedic and we had a set of Ford ambulances that shut down their engines when they need DEF. Problem was they would warn you at 500 miles DEF replacement was needed and actually only have 100 miles left. Fun surprise.

Any issues with the slides? That's my biggest fear after reading reviews about slide outs in general. The idea of getting stuck with the slide out when getting ready to leave a campsite definitely makes me nervous. Most of the horror reviews I read were about Thor built systems prior to the 3Trax system.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I was going based on the door placard picture posted on camping world. It appears to be from Mercedes and not the dealer, which I would tend to trust more.

For clarification, the stickers in the dealers photos are actually added by Winnebago and not Mercedes.

And also note that the Chassis was manufactured in May 2018 with the coach being added in May 2019!

This is a rather old RV!!! And is an NCV3 and not the latest VS30 chassis.

Keith.

RamblinFamily

For clarification, the stickers in the dealers photos are actually added by Winnebago and not Mercedes.

And also note that the Chassis was manufactured in May 2018 with the coach being added in May 2019!

This is a rather old RV!!! And is an NCV3 and not the latest VS30 chassis.

Keith.
I have to admit I'm not that well versed on the differences between them. Any major drawbacks to the NCV3? Everything else about the RV specs net out to meet our needs.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I have to admit I'm not that well versed on the differences between them. Any major drawbacks to the NCV3? Everything else about the RV specs net out to meet our needs.
I'll have to leave that side of things to the 'experts' on the later models.

And now I notice that the RV has been reduced from $120k down to $80k. That's one hell of a reduction, so why hasn't it sold previously? Sorry but it rings alarm bells to me.

And if you do proceed you would need to check warranty start dates are all in order and that you have not lost two years because it has sat on the dealers lot.

Keith.

RamblinFamily

I'll have to leave that side of things to the 'experts' on the later models.

And now I notice that the RV has been reduced from $120k down to $80k. That's one hell of a reduction, so why hasn't it sold previously? Sorry but it rings alarm bells to me.

And if you do proceed you would need to check warranty start dates are all in order and that you have not lost two years because it has sat on the dealers lot.

Keith.
I definitely will. Thanks for the expert catch. I would have missed that entirely.

Winterbagoal

Thank you. We did actually note that GCWR doesn't leave a lot of head room for a "toad". If I am reading it correctly the GCWR is 15,250 and GVWR is 11,030. If we load the RV with about 1600 lbs of people, gear, tongue weight and fluid combined, that should leave about 2500 lbs for a toad if I did my math correctly. Our plan was to tow a Honda Fit as a dinghy vehicle although we will likely only do that on the big summer road trip.

Have you had any mechanical trouble out of the ordinary? Any problems with the slide out?
Let's leave towing in the garage for now.
As Keith suggested, the people, fluids, food, water, gear, whatever cannot exceed the 11,030 lb GVWR. If it does you're overweight. Dangerous.
That said, it is possible that the Porto may have enough OCCC to handle the 1600 lbs of stuff in your example, but the only way to know for sure is to load it up and weigh it, or to weigh the vehicle with full fuel and propane with the vendor's permission, and then weigh it at a proper highway inspection station, or CAT scale at a truck stop. Then, since you know some of the additional equipment capacities of the PORTO in gallons of this or that, and you can calculate things like fresh water water weight, add the weight of your family and gear, if you know it, and so on, and then do the math to see if it's going to work for you. It really is just simple math.
Guessing or going by the manufacturer's stickers isn't reliable. I'll say it now, don't go by the manufacturer's stated OCCC as they have been wrong in the past. I've seen plenty of NHTSA recalls for improper weight estimate stickers and values placed in these vehicles, and the numbers they issue are almost always too low, meaning you're probably overweight.
I'll try to tackle the rest of your questions as I come to them

Winterbagoal

Thank you. That's great news. So I actually have even more head room than I anticipated. That's always a good thing.

Any weird gotchas with DEF fluid? I work as a paramedic and we had a set of Ford ambulances that shut down their engines when they need DEF. Problem was they would warn you at 500 miles DEF replacement was needed and actually only have 100 miles left. Fun surprise.

Any issues with the slides? That's my biggest fear after reading reviews about slide outs in general. The idea of getting stuck with the slide out when getting ready to leave a campsite definitely makes me nervous. Most of the horror reviews I read were about Thor built systems prior to the 3Trax system.
I've already told you what I think of door placards. They can be wrong. Load it up and weigh it, or weight it empty, and do the math to establish your maximum, loaded for travel, weight. It has to be under 11,030lbs per the chassis manufacturer (MB).

DEF, everyone's favorite demon of the diesel engine. Yes, MB will issue the dreaded "number of starts remaining 16 countdown" if you run out, then you're DOA, but most people say it will warn you when you're getting low. I haven't seen those messages yet, because when I stop for fuel, I add DEF if I'm getting close to 1/2 a tank. Now this is a bit weird, since you asked. Some times when I fill my DEF tank full to overflowing almost, I think it's around 5.5US gallons? I usually fill it at a truck stop in the truck lanes, that way I know it's probably fresh, and hasn't been tampered with, like it can be if you buy jugs off the shelf at Walmart, but that's another story. When I fill it to the brim, it doesn't always show 100% full on the DEF dash display. Sometimes I have to fill the diesel fuel tank first, before the DEF tank shows full, too. Like the two want to be filled together. Or, sometimes, I fill it and it shows 100%. Weird? Yes. Show stopper? No.

I hate slides for the same reasons as you. I've owned my rig for 30,000 miles of travel and I think I've used the slide 3 times. So far, so good. No problems extending or retracting. The trick, so "they" say, is to always hold the slide control button for an extra 2 seconds after the slide stops moving, to let the motors synchronize properly. It has something to so with voltage sensing after the slide stops moving. We've done that and as I said no problems. knock on wood. There's a formal procedure for manually retracting them, but some folks say if the motor will run, and you use a little brute force to push the thing in, it will retract enough that you can travel. I hate them, but they do add floor space to a small motorhome, so it's a smallish cross to bear, I hope.

Winterbagoal

The NCV3 chassis is bulletproof. As is the engine and drive train. Don't worry about it. I've seen more recalls on the VS30 since it's production usage in the last year, than I've seen for the NCV3 in over 4 years of following them. I get the weekly NHTSA recall notices every Monday morning. The caveat on the OM642 engine is the bio-diesel thing. MB suggest using none. Or if you have no choice to use < 5% (B5 or less). Or, if you can't find B5 to use the lowest B# rated fuel possible, but to keep an eye on your engine oil levels and change the oil and fuel filters more often. So far I've had no choice on the B5+ situation, and have seen no ill effects on my V6. It's a very capable little beast. The VS30 engines have had the bio-diesel restrictions eased a bit, but MB still doesn't like bio-diesel. Neither do I, but I'm in Canada, and one of our few lifestyle perks is, we see very little bio-diesel up here. If you're in Wisconsin, just stay out of Minnesota in the summer, and you'll be OK on the bio-diesel thing.

Winterbagoal

I definitely will. Thanks for the expert catch. I would have missed that entirely.
The Porto listed is reduced $40K from the MSRP, which is always ridiculously overpriced. Don't worry too much about that, it's pretty normal.
If the 2021 models are starting to be built, it's probably considered stale dealer stock and they're trying to move it, that's all.
Your warranties should begin the day you take delivery. At least that's how ours worked in Canada. Winnebago 1 year on coach stuff, MB 5 years on chassis, drive train, possibly longer on exhaust system, depending on where you take delivery. Different US States have different warranties, I think?
It's a brand new 2020 model J?, has 300.3 miles on it, that's probably the approximate distance from Forest City, IA to the Gander Outdoors in Wisconsin.
I have no idea what chassis it has but it was built in 05/21 2018, so it's probably an NCV3.
You can look that up at the one of the MB VIN decoder sites. This one works...
It will give you the MB build sheet info. The VIN is 8BNPF4CC4JE154998 from the door frame sticker.
If the OCCC is close to the sticker value, at 1800lbs, that's very good, for Sprinter cab chassis builds. Probably the shorter coach than the View/Navion, less weight.
You might have room for that Honda Fit, after all.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I have no idea what chassis it has but it was built in 05/21 2018, so it's probably an NCV3.
You can look that up at the one of the MB VIN decoder sites. This one works...
It will give you the MB build sheet info. The VIN is 8BNPF4CC4JE154998 from the door frame sticker.
Definitely an NCV3! Look at the dash for confirmation, it's the older style with the central 'stack' style.

And a VIN decoder will give you the actual build date although the VIN on the placard appears to be the Winnie VIN and not the MB VIN.

Keith.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel

Many folks (Myself included) fill the DEF long before getting any notice that it is at a low level.
Keeping the top half of the tank full is thought to be a good thing, because it keeps all the sensors happy, not being dry with crystals on them.
Being a chassis cab setup, you may have the large sidemounted DEF tank.
For my small underhood tank, I fill it up every third fuel stop...….About every 1000 miles. It take about a gallon each time.
I carry it in these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CGOLZ2A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are refillable, easy to handle and make no drip filling a snap. Or a twist and push, to be exact.

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
1/3rd off the msrp is the cost you should pay for an off the dealer lot RV is my understanding. Many RV sites and blogs state that, looks like your exact situation, 1 year is worth $40k to me...

Top Bottom