Best Tires for 2020 2500 4x4

djsincla

I have factory painted black steel rims... Somehow I decided on a set of Toyo Open Country A/T III (not II) based on input and feedback. I will take some pictures tomorrow after install. Thanks all.

Last edited:

BigDC

Nice, my next set will be the AT3. I like the improved looks from the AT2 and look forward to the performance and mileage I experienced previously.

djsincla

Nice, my next set will be the AT3. I like the improved looks from the AT2 and look forward to the performance and mileage I experienced previously.
Very good! The fact they have a tire warranty is surprising for an off-road tire. I am pretty excited since I realized I am done installing chains for the near term. Going from 2WD with Michelin Road Tires to a 4WD with these beasts will be a cool winter experience.

Seacoaster

Does anyone have confirmed limitations for use of upgraded tire sizes in conjunction with distronic? I live in Vermont and deal with snow 3-4 days/week. I’m going to change from the factory Michelin’s. I’m looking for winter traction, durability, cold temp ride quality, good wear and low noise.

Seacoaster

I think I’d like to stick with the 16’s or possibly 17’s. Has anyone had their passenger “alloy” wheels powder coated, I’d love to see a pic.

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
I'm having a set of factory alloys powder coated as I write this. Nothing exciting though - Silver to restore the wheels after the previous owner sprayed them rattlecan matte black. The Sprinter is black - the look was too sinister for my tastes.

Seacoaster

Mine is silver, I’m thinking to go black rather than buy aftermarket, but the money may be the same to powdercoat.

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
Since I am in the process of purchasing new tires my original intent was to dismount the tires, rattle can the wheels silver again, then have the new tires mounted. What stopped me was the cure time which would require me to wait weeks before mounting tires on the freshly painted rims.

Fortunately, my alloys are in good shape and won't need to be media blasted all the way to bare metal and my local power coater has a run of silver already scheduled that I can get in on, both of which bring bring down the cost of powder coating considerably. Besides, I have better things to do than spend an entire day prepping wheels and another day painting.

BTW, to keep this post relevant to the subject matter of the thread: My choice of tire was the BFG All Terrain T/A KO2, LT265/75R16-E, "Three Peak Snowflake" severe weather rated version, not the "DT" version with harder compound and mileage warranty.

My rationale for choosing an all terrain tire with 3-ply sidewalls is that I frequently offroad/overland and AT tires with 2-ply sidewalls don't stand up to the abuse. [Not all E load rated AT tires have 3-ply sidewalls.]

My rationale for a TPSF severe weather rated tire rather than an ordinary M+S tire is that my 4x4 Sprinter needs to be ready for all weather, not just good weather, and I don't want to switch between summer and winter tires. I don't care that they won't last as long as the "Different Tread" version.

My rationale for BFG over other tires on my short list, which included the Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx, Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 and Toyo Open Country ATIII, is that BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 tires are readily available everywhere in North America, including Baja, which is one of my favorite destinations. You can't say that about Toyo, Cooper, Nitto, Mickey Thompson, etc., even Michelin and Firestone, where in some locales you might have to wait to get a replacement or settle for a non-matching tire.

[Note: There are no Goodyear tires on my list, not even the highly regarded Duratrac. I'm not a Goodyear guy. Not even "with Kevlar."]

warx

I'm going with Warlords and KO2 265/70/17 as this tire size is much more generally available. 275 have a waiting list.

geordie

Lots of good information here. I'm in the market for wheels and tires. 2019 Sprinter 2500 4x4 stock steelies.
Sticking with the stock wheels, I'm debating the Agilis Crossclimate 265/75/16 or Blizzak W965 in same size.
I see responses on the benefit of staying with OEM wheel, i.e. offset, etc.
Has anyone had extended winter driving experience on these tires.

As for aftermarket wheels, the Black Rhinos or Method have my interest in a 17" wheel. My only pause is I am a big believer in not deviating to far the OEM specs. Question is then... which wheel out of the Black Rhino and/or Method lines fits most closely with the OEM spec?

Thanks advance.

BigDC

I personally like the look of the factory black steel wheels. In my opinion, it beats the fake looking bead locks. Pair them up with Blizzaks and you’ll be unstoppable in snow.

Throw the Yokohama Geolander G015 or Michelin LTX for the non-winter (or Toyo At3 if you want the look). Dont get the BFG - All the negative reviews are accurate and warranted.

batboy

I recently put 275-70-17 on my 2020 Sprinter. Cooper Discoverer AT3 with Black Rhino rims. On this forum, there may be a stronger preference to the KO2s but I'm liking the Coopers.

With no fender mod, this tire will hit the mudflap. If you are getting the wheels first with no mod, you can just take the mudflaps off and this can work as a temporary solution.

I put in the Agile No-Rub kit. I got the black textured TPO plastic version and it is nearly the same as the factory trim and looks good. I suspect after a year of sun exposure, it will look identical. The no-rub kit took me a couple hours to install. After doing it, I realized how I could have modified the stock mini fender (which are replaced by the kit) and I wouldn't have had to buy the kit. However, I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Attachments

• Thanks
Reactions: sms

ckid

My van came with Agilis LTX's. I called a Michelin dealer and they told me they are the same as a Defender LTX and that soon all Defenders will be named Agilis. I'd consider Swapping them out for the cross climates in the 265 75 16 size for better winter traction. The cross climates have pretty good ratings. I think I want to stay with a closed shoulder tire on the sprinter.

I've got cooper AT3's on my Express AWD and chev 2500 pu and they have been good all around. Wasn't too impressed with them in the snow compared to KO2's. They did fine though.

Top Bottom