Best Tires for 2020 2500 4x4

SteveFCA

You make excellent choices in tires, van color, and dogs. ?
I too am looking at the Toyo AT3's in 265/70/17. Can you comment on your experience with these tires in terms of road noise, MPG and snow traction? I am considering Blizzaks for winter and these tires for the other seasons but depending on their snow performance, I may or may not need the Blizzaks.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I too am looking at the Toyo AT3's in 265/70/17. Can you comment on your experience with these tires in terms of road noise, MPG and snow traction? I am considering Blizzaks for winter and these tires for the other seasons but depending on their snow performance, I may or may not need the Blizzaks.
I’m happy with the Toyo AT3’s so far. I haven’t rotated or even checked air pressure since the install about 9500 miles ago, still relatively quiet and wear seems to be pretty even. Yes, I’m bad at checking pressures and rotation. ??‍♂
Have driven in some some light and moderate snow but nothing real heavy, so far so good.
Keep in mind these are AT for all terrain- so there’s some compromise with them.
Mpg seems to be maybe about a .5 mpg drop, maybe less on the hwy, but they definitely make the van ride and handle better.
If you live or frequent an area (like ski resorts) that gets serious snow then having a set of Blizzaks is probably a good move.

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
265/70/17
Tires will likely rub the front mud flaps. Have to modify. I have that size in Toyo at3’s and WITH the Agile mudflap mod they only clear by about a half inch. 275/70/17s will max that out.
See the Van Compass chart RVBarry sent you above.
There are youtube videos on how to diy the mudflap.
Ps are those mickey thompsons 10ply?

SteveFCA

I’m happy with the Toyo AT3’s so far. I haven’t rotated or even checked air pressure since the install about 9500 miles ago, still relatively quiet and wear seems to be pretty even. Yes, I’m bad at checking pressures and rotation. ??‍♂
Have driven in some some light and moderate snow but nothing real heavy, so far so good.
Keep in mind these are AT for all terrain- so there’s some compromise with them.
Mpg seems to be maybe about a .5 mpg drop, maybe less on the hwy, but they definitely make the van ride and handle better.
If you live or frequent an area (like ski resorts) that gets serious snow then having a set of Blizzaks is probably a good move.
Thanks for your quick reply. relatively quiet is what Im looking for. I have had all sorts of AT tires over the years and some were relatively quiet (Bridgestone Revo's) and some were pretty loud (Dick Cepek Fun country). Some were downright bad tires (earlier BFG AT's) that had grossly uneven wear, cupping etc, I was drawn to the Toyo AT3's because of their "severe winter use" rating thinking it might help avoid the need for Blizzaks. I spend a lot of time around ski resorts in the winter, so winter traction is important to me. I know that no AT tire can compare to Blizzaks in the snow and ice, but hoping these may be sufficient. I wish these came in a 275/70/17. They come in a 285/70/17 but conventional wisdom is that that is too big to work on our 2019 144 4x4's

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Thanks for your quick reply. relatively quiet is what Im looking for. I have had all sorts of AT tires over the years and some were relatively quiet (Bridgestone Revo's) and some were pretty loud (Dick Cepek Fun country). Some were downright bad tires (earlier BFG AT's) that had grossly uneven wear, cupping etc, I was drawn to the Toyo AT3's because of their "severe winter use" rating thinking it might help avoid the need for Blizzaks. I spend a lot of time around ski resorts in the winter, so winter traction is important to me. I know that no AT tire can compare to Blizzaks in the snow and ice, but hoping these may be sufficient. I wish these came in a 275/70/17. They come in a 285/70/17 but conventional wisdom is that that is too big to work on our 2019 144 4x4's
I wasn’t aware 275/70/17’s were not an option on the Toyo AT3’s. Bummer! I have been considering changing my 265’s out to 275’s to gain that half inch ground clearance.

SteveFCA

I wasn’t aware 275/70/17’s were not an option on the Toyo AT3’s. Bummer! I have been considering changing my 265’s out to 275’s to gain that half inch ground clearance.
I researched them and the 275/70/17's were not listed on either Toyo's site or Tirerack. Perhaps they;; come out by the time your wear out. That wont help me as Im looking to upgrade next month

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I researched them and the 275/70/17's were not listed on either Toyo's site or Tirerack. Perhaps they;; come out by the time your wear out. That wont help me as Im looking to upgrade next month
Right, I looked too and didn’t find that size.
I was thinking of replacing mine sooner like this summer but could always choose KO’s or a number of other options.

Last edited:

Elkman69

I have a 2020 4wd 144 sprinter that I just bought Black Rhino Glacier wheels and 265-70-17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers for. Looking to sell my 5 factory wheels and 245-75-16 Michelin tires for $1000. Live in Colorado Springs

Knit

I now have about 4k miles on Cooper Discover AT3 on my 2019 sprinter 4x4. LT275/70R17 with mud flap fix. Formerly had BFG KO2 LT245/75R17. I find the AT3 to be a bit quieter on the highway. Still a pretty good Offroad tread though. Speedometer off about 5% due to larger diameter.

tDot

Anyone know if the SV30 Speedometer is set high from the factory like the NV3 speedo? My 2012 read 5% higher then the actual speed. The dealer confirmed it was something common to all Sprinters at the time. I was 1/2 hoping the SV30 was the same way, and by installing a larger tire, it would actually bring the speedo closer to reality.

Knit

Anyone know if the SV30 Speedometer is set high from the factory like the NV3 speedo? My 2012 read 5% higher then the actual speed. The dealer confirmed it was something common to all Sprinters at the time. I was 1/2 hoping the SV30 was the same way, and by installing a larger tire, it would actually bring the speedo closer to reality.
Speedometer reads about 5% low with my recent change to 275/70R17’s. According to my GPS. No gold at the end of the rainbow at least on my 2019 Sprinter 4x4

Fascinating thread.

I just ordered a 2022 4x4 170. Might be ready to pick up in 8 mos. [Rolls eyes]

Salesman asked "what tires". I hadn't done any tire choice research, so I went with "unspecified brand", "all season". I'm pretty certain these will be 245/75/16s.

I need to make a choice.

I'm sticking with the 6.5 x 16 steelies (painted black).

From what I gathered in this thread, 265/75/16s are a nice improvement, though there are a couple of responses here that indicate slight front wheel rubbing in very particular situations.

I'm not sure yet (it's Sunday, so I can't contact sales until tomorrow) if MB will even *consider* allowing me to request 265s.

If not, does anyone here know what the 245 brand options are? And maybe some pros/cons of those available choices.

Let me add that 97.3% of my miles are on pavement. When I do go off road, it's almost entirely on FS dirt/gravel roads. I'm not getting into 4x4 so that I can purposely play in the dirt. I'm overly cautious about off-road excursions. I just want the peace of mind that if a forest road gets UgLy, I'm not spinning a tire of an open differential in futility. It often rains in the mountains I visit.

Thanks for any possible insight you might share!

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Fascinating thread.

I just ordered a 2022 4x4 170. Might be ready to pick up in 8 mos. [Rolls eyes]

Salesman asked "what tires". I hadn't done any tire choice research, so I went with "unspecified brand", "all season". I'm pretty certain these will be 245/75/16s.

I need to make a choice.

I'm sticking with the 6.5 x 16 steelies (painted black).

From what I gathered in this thread, 265/75/16s are a nice improvement, though there are a couple of responses here that indicate slight front wheel rubbing in very particular situations.

I'm not sure yet (it's Sunday, so I can't contact sales until tomorrow) if MB will even *consider* allowing me to request 265s.

If not, does anyone here know what the 245 brand options are? And maybe some pros/cons of those available choices.

Let me add that 97.3% of my miles are on pavement. When I do go off road, it's almost entirely on FS dirt/gravel roads. I'm not getting into 4x4 so that I can purposely play in the dirt. I'm overly cautious about off-road excursions. I just want the peace of mind that if a forest road gets UgLy, I'm not spinning a tire of an open differential in futility. It often rains in the mountains I visit.

Thanks for any possible insight you might share!
Tire choices are on the Mercedes-Benz website. They’re going to be 245s. You either get Kuhmo Michelin or continental. The latter two are what you want. Kuhmos are junk. Even if you plan on replacing and selling the stock tires right away… you’ll find buyers way quicker for Michelin or continental tires.
Also if you plan on upgrading wheels, get the black wheels not silver. Black wheels will sell quicker. I wouldn’t waste money on the alloys if you think you are going to be upgrading.

Last edited:

Top Bottom