Why lockdowns are the wrong policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Drive In theatres may return???
That's a yes for our area.
We only have a few old school drive in theaters left. One that has survived in our area is now requesting permission ... dispensation?... to open. They have had many requests to provide space for birthday parties, weddings, Sunday church services, etc.

It makes sense to me. The drive in theaters now have radio frequency audio. No longer do you need a wired speaker. Physical distance will be easy to maintain. It gives an opportunity for people to actually get together as a family/group, and still comply with whatever early strict regulations unfold.

The drive in movie business may be one of the few traditional businesses that are able to meet the "New Normal" proposed NY regulations aka doctrines.

vic

tinman

That's a yes for our area.
We only have a few old school drive in theaters left. One that has survived in our area is now requesting permission ... dispensation?... to open. They have had many requests to provide space for birthday parties, weddings, Sunday church services, etc.

It makes sense to me. The drive in theaters now have radio frequency audio. No longer do you need a wired speaker. Physical distance will be easy to maintain. It gives an opportunity for people to actually get together as a family/group, and still comply with whatever early strict regulations unfold.

The drive in movie business may be one of the few traditional businesses that are able to meet the "New Normal" proposed NY regulations aka doctrines.

vic
Any special requirements for the folks in the trunk?

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
The poll questions were a bit ... for lack of a better word ... leading.

Eg. - Open gun shops.
I own and collect a few mostly antique firearms. Even I would not put a high priority on opening gun shops. Who needs that right away?
The initial response was fairly indiscriminate and the focus was on whether a business was "essential" or not. Now that we have moved to a more mature position, the concepts of which business can be open and which can't shouldn't be based on an estimation of "essentialness" alone; it should also include whether or not an excessive risk of virus transmission exists. Businesses that pose an unacceptable risk of virus transmission and which aren't "essential" stay closed. Businesses that are "essential" or which can be operated in a manner that mitigates risk of virus transmission should all be allowed to be open.

There are some for whom purchasing a firearm for self-defense is an essential purchase; certainly as essential as keeping liquor stores open, anyway. But the point is moot if in fact the firearm sales business can be operated relatively safely, which it seems like they could be. If I can make take-out food purchases from the teriyaki joint down the street safely, why can't I purchase a firearm safely? Same thing goes for many other types of purchases - the bicycle shop, the print shop.

ECU

Five steps to end the lockdown
Step 1: Businesses owned by relatives of democrat party members can open.
Step 2: People who are members of the party can shop at open businesses.
Step 3: businesses can open if they have donated to the democrat party.
Step 4: People can visit open businesses once they have donated to the democrat party.
Step 5: Businesses and individuals will be offered to donate. Those that fail to donate will remain closed.

flman

Okay wait for it....... Red Herring cop out!
Wow. That really put your knickers in a twist for having not read it.
Okay, looked at it, you should have posted it in the funnies section. Maybe this Dr Suess character will believe it?

OTOH, task force is getting shut down soon, the reason the briefings are getting shut down is, well it is over. Well except for failed opponent Hilary kicking and screaming, otoh, she has already been doing that for 3.5 years.

flman

That is kinda disappointing. Why would you dismiss off hand something which might expand your view of what is being discussed.

Having not even looked at it, how can you say that?

I really don't know how to respond. It really dilutes all of the "fake news" claims when the information provided isn't even given the consideration of being reviewed at a simple basic level.

Carry on.

vic
WAPO is fake news, and polls are fake, just ask Trump and Hilary.
Besides, 1005 "carefully selected" respondents represents what portion of the USA? :ROFLMAO:
OTOH, you summed it up for me nicely in post 14.

flman

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
What's a trunk? 🤔
:)
The Boot. It's in the back unless you have a Type 1 Beetle. SUV owners will be unable to scam them.
vic

lindenengineering

The issue is employer liability.
If an an employee gets infected while on the job ,is sick for an extended duration or dies, then who is responsible?

In a nutshell will Workmans Compensation cover this and what could be determined as running a risky workplace in court of law exposing the employer to huge legal costs & compensation .
In short worrisome if you don't enact the social distancing & face mask policies with customers, limits & contact.
Dennis

ECU

The issue is employer liability.
If an an employee gets infected while on the job ,is sick for an extended duration or dies, then who is responsible?
Dennis
And that is why Costco is requiring them. No shoes, no shirt, no mask no service.
I was in one shop where the cashier said, "I have to place it here for the camera." when handing me my change. Someone is watching them.
Construction has had this type of stuff for years. I only do work on my stuff. If I drill into sheetrock, I'll clean it later. A real contractor would use the vacuum attachment to his drill, wear goggles and gloves, put out plastic to avoid droppings. Akin to the surgeon.

The sad part for me is that I would hate to work like that. I can imagine what it is like for them.
Restaurants are permanently closing due to the future regulations. They can't make a profit with half the patrons.
Also businesses are closing due to the taxation. Business can get their Paycheck protection money, then close. When this is all over, a new business will be formed...

In the end, people will figure out how to do business without a person handing me a plate of food.
It already is easier to replace equipment rather than repair.
Denny, do you repair alternators or starters? No, you replace them. Years ago, those were repaired.
The GT40 had replaceable axle assemblies.
This will be a boon for robotics.

lindenengineering

In some cases you are right.,
In this our auto repair business we are already planning post crisis operating methods & permanent total distancing from the customer base.
This will include pick up & delivery or remote drop off, plus a possible call out service for roadside repairs with mobile service truck--(Sprinter of course. ) with customer occupancy distancing limits applied in all cases.
Even enhanced DIY repair advice for a fee with supply of genuine parts in some cases.
We are currently working with the company attorney to formulate new operating policies for employees & customer relationships yet retaining the goodwill policies in the new normal.
Dennis

rollerbearing

In some cases you are right.,
In this our auto repair business we are already planning post crisis operating methods & permanent total distancing from the customer base.
This will include pick up & delivery or remote drop off, plus a possible call out service for roadside repairs with mobile service truck--(Sprinter of course. ) with customer occupancy distancing limits applied in all cases.
Even enhanced DIY repair advice for a fee with supply of genuine parts in some cases.
We are currently working with the company attorney to formulate new operating policies for employees & customer relationships yet retaining the goodwill policies in the new normal.
Dennis
Are you doing anything more with your video projects? Will that be part of your enhanced DIY line?

Healthcare has certainly gone big on telehealth during this time. Maybe TeleSprinterTech for a fee?

I like the pick up and drop off idea. Especially in the summer - let the vehicle cook before your tech gets in, let it cook after it is returned before the customer gets in. I suppose that could even work in your parking lot to an extent.

lindenengineering

Well it's all under planning & revision, but already we are enacting a disinfect policy on all hand contact areas in the cab before and pre-handover with a label of sorts to show all contact surfaces are clean & ready for customer delivery.
Its whole new ball game for the employer/business owner.
Dennis

ECU

I've begun to wonder...
We already have a group of people who stay home and don't work. It is called Welfare. Permanently. They get housing, healthcare and food. These people are also the folks most at risk according to data.
I notice locally, that things are quite back to normal as far as traffic and stores.
So, can we afford to just let this group stay at home. The group would increase with all the unemployed waitresses. But I suspect that this group heavily overlaps with the welfare group already.
If kids do school from home, we wouldn't need daycare, so that money can be released for other needs.
Basically, productive people can go to work and improve themselves. The others can stay at home and Fentanyl up. The virus will eventually go through this group saving the government over $600,000 each.
The sad part is that the homeless group is showing to be resilient to the virus. Living rough bolsters their immune system.
So can we create a new normal with a smaller service economy and let these people stay home?
I think we could. It is already nice to drive around without all the school buses. We just need to stop the stay at home group from further multiplication.

ECU

One other data point. 70% of the people are currently still working. The shutdown only took out 30%.
Way to go Roller. Just attack the messenger rather than discuss the message.
The new rules will destroy sit down restaurants. Apparently that is most of the 30%.
and why is it that they aren't selling enough milk, eggs, beef... We are still eating. How was that food wasted before?

And a note about your insult. These people will eventually get the virus. Their life or death will be the same. Maybe they will get the vaccine and that kills them. That is just how things work.

As far as mental capability. There are many people who fear life. These people will stay at home forever. I currently have a customer that puts up a plastic tent in her home if she has a service person in. And that was before. I have another who gets anxious thinking of going out, so they don't. This is just the impitus for even more people on the mental edge to decide to never come out. Maybe that is the future new business. Servicing the mentally locked in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom