Trik-l charge install 2017 SS Agile?

Bwm

I am planing on installing a Trik-l charge relay in my SS Agile. I want the solar power system to trickle charge my Sprinter chassis battery while the unit is in storage.
I have read the best place to install the Trik-l charge is on the battery separator solenoid. I believe I see this device under the drivers seat but can't find any specific wiring diagrams.
Has anyone installed one of the Trik-l charge devices?

Skippy and Emu

I am planing on installing a Trik-l charge relay in my SS Agile
Please be aware there are several different models of this charger. Ensure the correct one is chosen for your installation.
Example: If you your "house batteries" are Lithium, you will need the Lithium model.

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
On our 2015, I simply tie-wrapped it to cables near the house batteries under the hood. I clip it on when I park it, disconnect while on the road. (One lead goes to the under-hood positive chassis battery access) Simple, and it works.DSC06649.jpgDSC06648.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Bwm

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
The Trik-L-Start is easy to install on the Isolator Solenoid if you can find it. In my 2014 LTV, the Isolator Solenoid is under the passenger seat. Here is a picture of what your looking for. Skippy brings up a good point about Lithium batteries. The Trik-L-Start works fine with Lithium batteries because it just intermittently sips charges to the AGM chassis battery to maintain it whenever the house batteries are being charged, so having a mix of battery types isn't of concern.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Thanks

Bwm

Hi, On my 2017 Roadtreck Agile most of the electrical connections are under the drivers seat
I have located the battery separator solenoid but can't find a wiring diagram

SSTraveler

If you found the Separator (it should look like this) then wiring the Trik-l-start to it is easy. Remember to disconnect your solar panels from the controller, and pull the negative lead from house and engine batteries to fully disconnect electricity before you start this project. Solar panel output can burn up a solar controller if the battery (load) is disconnected.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bwm

Thank
If you found the Separator (looks like this) then wiring the Trik-l-start to it is easy. Remember to disconnect your solar panels from the controller, and pull the negative lead from house and engine batteries to fully disconnect electricity before you start this project. Solar panel output can burn up a solar controller if the battery (load) is disconnected.
Thank you, there is a solenoid under the drivers seat but the connections are on the side not the top of the unit. I'll look for the solar disconnect or do the project at night

SSTraveler

Just cover the panels with a thick blanket or cardboard, anything to stop the sun getting to them. If you posted a picture we could be of more help. I don't really understand your issue if you really found the Separator Solenoid.

Bwm

Thank

Thank you, there is a solenoid under the drivers seat but the connections are on the side not the top of the unit. I'll look for the solar disconnect or do the project at night
Hi, I have located what I think is the separator under the drivers seat. Getting odd voltages reading so not sure how to install the Trik-L start.

Attachments

SSTraveler

That looks like a battery disconnect Solenoid, https://rvelectrical.com/product/kib-battery-disconnect-latching-relay-lr9806c-bip/, it should be hooked to a switch that you use to disconnect the battery. This is different from Isolator Solenoid/Battery Separator. Typically there is an Isolator Solenoid/battery Separator wired somewhere to this that connects the house batteries for alternator charging when engine is running. For Roadtrek, Many report it (https://www.ase-supply.com/Sure_Power_1315_200_Battery_Separator_p/sp-1315-200.htm) on the firewall of the engine compartment, https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/81276/ and https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/65224/. It sounds electrical system of Roadtrek us a little more complicated if you find the Isolator Solenoid/Battery Separator then the Trik-l-start installation is pretty straightforward.

Last edited:
  • Thanks

Bwm

Thanks, you are correct. That is not the battery separator and under the hood where most RT models have the separator installed, mine has a voltage regulator for the auto-start function. Does anyone have experience with the 2017 SS Agile battery separator location?

SSTraveler

You don't really need to find the battery Isolator Solenoid, the Trik-l-start only needs a connection to the house battery and the chassis battery and ground wire to metal, so if that battery disconnect is for the house battery then you can connect the yellow Trik-l-start wire to the house battery terminal on that solenoid and the blue Trik-l-start wire can go to the EK1 terminal, engine battery 12v supply,there under the drivers seat. The connect the black wire to the metal seat base. You could also run a 16awg wire directly to the engine battery through the wire trace from the seat base to the battery. See 2nd picture of the white plastic covered wire trace to access battery box from front seat bases see my post #5 on this thread, https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/85327/#post-878438, for more info.

Attachments

Bwm

You don't really need to find the battery Isolator Solenoid, the Trik-l-start only needs a connection to the house battery and the chassis battery and ground wire to metal, so if that battery disconnect is for the house battery then you can connect the yellow Trik-l-start wire to the house battery terminal on that solenoid and the blue Trik-l-start wire can go to the EK1 terminal, engine battery 12v supply,there under the drivers seat. The connect the black wire to the metal seat base. You could also run a 16awg wire directly to the engine battery through the wire trace from the seat base to the battery. See 2nd picture of the white plastic covered wire trace to access battery box from front seat bases see my post #5 on this thread, https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/85327/#post-878438, for more info.
Thank you for the suggestions and detailed images! I will look under the drivers seat for the EK1 terminal. The wiring under my drivers seat is completely different from you image.

Top Bottom