Recommendation for Air Conditioning

Thorcen1

I haven't seen much on here regarding the installation of either a split unit or rooftop air conditioning. We live in the Phoenix area, so this is going to be a must have. I am looking for a recommendation for what brand and type of unit to purchase and install. Thank you in advance!

cacaw

I've been looking at https://www.cruisencomfortusa.com/ because they are not roof top. Not inexpensive, but they seem well thought out.
A friend installed a Cruise N Comfort in his long and tall Sprinter and he loves it! If hot weather comfort is more of a necessity than a luxury, the cost is justified. I have a passenger van, so I'm stuck with idling in hot weather emergencies.

Last edited:

Mein Sprinter

Known member
I haven't seen much on here regarding the installation of either a split unit or rooftop air conditioning. We live in the Phoenix area, so this is going to be a must have. I am looking for a recommendation for what brand and type of unit to purchase and install. Thank you in advance!
Have you researched (https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5/quiet-air-conditioner-from-advanced-rv-7469.html)... low profile and extremely quiet but $$$$. Product is form Australia. It's a ( https://caravanandrvparts.com.au/product/houghton-belaire-hb2400/)

cheers...

warx

I run a Nomadic Cooling AC. In 95 degree weather, ive seen about 45 amps.

We sell them and install them
I see these install in the standard 14x14 hole. I wondered how feasible it is to be able to swap in and out with a maxxair fan? i.e. fit the A/C for hot trips and the fan for all others? I guess it would take a well installed/sealed gasket on roof. When I install my fan I will use 4awg wire just in case! Or do any rooftop A/Cs also work well as vent fans? I doubt they can.

Choosing DC over AC forces you to go through the inverter/charger if you are on shore power and I've wondered how this works with a Multiplus 24/3000/70 and not overcharging my batteries or if it's smart enough to just deliver enough to power the DC load only. I suspect I'd need a Battery Protect to disconnect when the BMS says it's full.

Choosing AC over DC forces you to go through inverter always. Tough choices! No silver bullets here.

Also the 24V versions come at a big premium from both Nomadic and Cruise. It'd pay to upgrade my DC-DC converter to 70A and still save $100s.

Last edited:

Shawn182

I see these install in the standard 14x14 hole. I wondered how feasible it is to be able to swap in and out with a maxxair fan? i.e. fit the A/C for hot trips and the fan for all others? I guess it would take a well installed/sealed gasket on roof.

Swapping from AC to fan is relatively easy job but not something that you could easily set up for a hot swap back and forth. While the AC just clamps on with at gasket seal, the fans need a significant amount of sealant and screws into van body to remain water tight.

Now, not to say you couldn't custom build and engineer a mount if you have the skills...but typical roof top AC units are also about 100lbs and not easily just tossed up on a roof.

Last edited:

warx

...but typical roof top AC units are also about 100lbs and not easily just tossed up one a roof.
That's a factor I'd not considered. Thanks. Sounds like there are better temporary A/C solutions. The roof will always be a good spot for the fan!

cacaw

Choosing AC over DC forces you to go through inverter always. Tough choices! No silver bullets here.
We have a passenger van with the factory air conditioning. Ideally, I'd like to separate the lines from the cab air conditioning system, add a DC compressor under the hood, and then connect it to the rooftop condenser.

But the battery requirements are a major consideration. I figure I'd need about 900Ah to be happy with a DC air conditioner.

We have a passenger van with the factory air conditioning. Ideally, I'd like to separate the lines from the cab air conditioning system, add a DC compressor under the hood, and then connect it to the rooftop condenser.

But the battery requirements are a major consideration. I figure I'd need about 900Ah to be happy with a DC air conditioner.
I also have the passenger van with factory ac. Not planning on much time in extreme heat. Would you consider selling the roof top unit and settle for just a fan? Or do you often find it convenient to have the idle option?

cacaw

Or do you often find it convenient to have the idle option?
I have a few fans inside and that's usually enough to keep it cool. Being able to idle occasionally takes care of other situations.

But, I'm still concerned about camping in hot weather and disturbing the neighbors. The sound of the Sprinter idling isn't so bad, but I'd expect some complaints for not being able to turn off the headlights! :)

Michlb

A friend installed a Cruise N Comfort in his long and tall Sprinter and he loves it! If hot weather comfort is more of a necessity than a luxury, the cost is justified. I have a passenger van, so I'm stuck with idling in hot weather emergencies.
Would you mind connecting me to your friend? I'm planning the same setup, and am trying to find reference installations who can give me a sense of product quality. Thanks!

Top Bottom