Brake Pad Experience Needed

2015_170

Hello All,

I am on the fence as to what brakes to order to replace my 3500s brakes, I have limited my options to the following:

Buy from the dealership for about 700 to 800
Buy from Europarts sd (there brembo brakes front and rear kit) for about 450

The price point is much better with Eruoparts but I couldn't not find a review to anyone that has used them. Does anyone have experience with Europarts brakes kits and know how they compare to OEM from the dealership?

I would greatly appreciate and input anyone has

lindenengineering

Why is your second posted choice (or first choice based upon price point Europarts )?
Have you not considered other boxed brands and is your only non preference for genuine MB parts just pricing alone?
Dennis

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Got mine from Europarts San Diego. Used Brembo Kit for my 2500. Great product although for $270 each front and rear. Did them myself in 2 days time. Dealership is too far from us and wants $1000+.

The Kit: as recommended replaced the entire system after 94,000 miles: rotors and pads. Did not replace the handbrake brake shoes as they were still good.

Brembos have less dusting but Meyles have better heat dissipation. Your driving habits ??

cheers

Last edited:

2015_170

Why is your second posted choice (or first choice based upon price point Europarts )?
Have you not considered other boxed brands and is your only non preference for genuine MB parts just pricing alone?
Dennis
My only preference if possible is not to spend 1400 to have the dealership replace the brakes. I have no experience with Europarts brakes and did not want to go with them to have my sprinter not stop as well

lindenengineering

My only preference if possible is not to spend 1400 to have the dealership replace the brakes. I have no experience with Europarts brakes and did not want to go with them to have my sprinter not stop as well
OK
So what you are stating is that a dealer has quoted you $1400 for a brake job which includes labor which I estimate as being about 4,5 hours.
Of course the dealer shop will have a mark up as the dealer's parts entity is on a different cost center number for accounting.

Now you want to reduce your brake costs by buying the parts yourself, and either DIY'ing the install or have someone else do the labor content.
Is that correct?

Obviously you can buy the genuine MB parts directly from a dealer (on line or over the counter) and they are either Meyle or Brembo sourced.
Both brands are good, factory approved and emit little to no noise when working, but do show some annoying brake dust to some owners which is deposited on the wheels .

For info since you have asked, we have installed an O Reilly distributed brand called Best Select which has the same pad material as Meyle, but made in India.
The rotors can either Bosch or AC Delco both made in China.
Now these pad rotors combinations have proven to be very good on tyre distribution Sprinter 3500 vans that traditionally got about 12,000 miles on std MB foundation brakes.
In mitigation the drivers it seems know only two positions on the pedals-- both go hard on it under all or any driving condition!
On average brake life was increased to around 40,000 miles on the fleet.
These might be a bit "hard" for your to install without some glazing noise if you are light on your brakes .
But if cost and durability are of a concern, then these brake combinations well worth looking at.
By the way when looking at brake re-works don't forget to include new sticky caliper mounting bolts --all from MB
AND rear axle adapter flange ring bolts since you most likely have a twin (Dually) wheel set up.
Dennis

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
FWIW, I've had very good luck with idparts.com, located in MA. Good prices, and they vet their parts (haven't seen any junk yet). They generally offer OE parts as well as --for additional $$-- "upgrade" parts. I see where they have Pagid (OE supplier) as well as Brembo brake parts for a 2015 NCV3 3500.

I've been getting parts for my VW TDI Jetta wagon since 2005. They specialize in diesel vehicles.

Daystar

I got pads and rotors from ID Parts for both front and rear 5 yrs and 25,000 miles ago. They still have more that 1/2 of the pads left. No noise when braking. They give you a good deal on shipping which is heavy with the rotors. Can't remember the brand, but it was not MB and otherwise the most expensive ones.
2008 170 extended 2500

2015_170

My brake light came on today so I ordered the Brembo kits front and rear from europarts for $411.

I was wondering if anyone has an idea how long I have now that my brake light is on? I do light driving and with the current lock down under 300 miles per week.

Also does anyone have a list of tools I will need to do the job? I'm a full time van lifer so once I get started my only ride is disabled

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
I was wondering if anyone has an idea how long I have now that my brake light is on?
I have been staring at the brake warning for over a year. Probably 7000 or 8000 miles.

Not saying that is a smart idea, but I also think that the warning comes on pretty early. I'm fairly sure you don't have to rush out and replace the brakes before you drive again.

2015_170

Thanks for the reply, my plan was to replace the brakes before my summer road trip, if the stay at home gets lifted.

Anyone have a list of tools I should secure before the install next weekend. Also when people compress the caliper back in do you have to take off the brake fluid cap or do you simply just compress it back to the starting position?

I changed my order from the brembo to semi-metalic because the guy at europarts said the brembo take a little bit to start stopping, they have to warm up... that was something that did not sound good to me so I went with semi-metalic which he said have the same characteristics as the factor brakes

Top Bottom