Differential Pinion Bearing Slop

Zundfolge

Always learning...
The dealer is not the way to go here. I don't understand why a rear end shop would not want to do it? There's nothing special about these rear ends.

Again, there is no such thing as a "safe" amount of time or distance. You basically have a ticking time bomb with an unknown fuse length.

It's a bear of a job. If you have time and inclination you can go for it, you'd still pay less for the work even buying the tools than paying a shop, but only if you can afford the downtime. This is a situation where harbor freight really comes through. I bought a press, and some of the other tools (plus I already had a dial indicator with magnetic base), and all said and done I probably spent about $600 including the rebuild kit. I'd consider it an advanced level job, but I did it and detailed as much as I could in my writeup, so it is at least possible for the diyer...

Surf44

2004 158 2500
Ok Heard loud and clear, I have to find someone quick then, my trip starts with going up to Michigan from FL, I almost wonder if it’s worth it to go by Dr. A or MMS I’d like one of those guys to look over over stuff as well and at least I’ll know for sure they know what their doing.

Zundfolge

Always learning...
Ok Heard loud and clear, I have to find someone quick then, my trip starts with going up to Michigan from FL, I almost wonder if it’s worth it to go by Dr. A or MMS I’d like one of those guys to look over over stuff as well and at least I’ll know for sure they know what their doing.
I replied to your PM, but if you have put some miles on your van since you changed the fluid then you can drain it again and pull the cover this time (do it hot after a drive), and get a better sense of how much debris is in there. Between the first time I drained my fluid and the second time, I'd estimate I put maybe only 500-600 miles on it? In that time there was enough new metal shavings in there to call it a sparkle party. All in all I'd say you're in for a bearing job.

If somehow you drain your fluid and it's clean, I'd be surprised. It wouldn't rule out bad pinion bearing, but it'd be information.

Top Bottom