Loose hose leaking fuel when running?

lindenengineering

Re: Hose leaking fuel under van

That hose is a vent hose.
It serves as a drain.
If its leaking fuel when running you have a leak going on under the injection cover.
Dennis

Dexterchelios

Please don't double post your questions.

I think Eric and Dennis are referring to this:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38868
I apologize for the double post. I didn’t think I submitted it the first time. My bad.

This hose is not the injector overflow. It comes out of the back of the engine block and it is tethered about 12” from the end. It appears as though it has to connect somewhere underneath

lindenengineering

Its attached to the back of the cylinder head as a "push in" flanged hose.
Reach down behind the head to feel it since its obscured.

For info, when fuel is leaking from a failed FIE component, it starts welling in the valley & drains out via the the hose we are discussing.
Dennis

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Just to be clear, we’re not talking about the injection fuel return line, but the drain line that comes out the rear of the valve cover, under the plastic injector cover.

Zundfolge

Always learning...
As everyone has said, it drains the valley under the black cover that hides the injectors, the cover that you see when you open the hood. I had an issue recently where I had inadvertently pinched one of the injector return lines because it was routed incorrectly. Check the routing of your rear-most return line. It should exit the top of the valve cover as seen in my pic. There is a little clip for it. Even if it's routed correctly all that means is that one of the inter- injector return lines has failed, or one of the return fittings has failed. Either way pull off the black cover to inspect, and report back...

Edit: for clarification the line that I'm pointing out is the return line that could be pinched, causing the issue. I know I'm not the only one who's had this issue, so I'm only pointing it out as a possible cause. The line that is draining fuel is pushed into the back of the cylinder head.

Also, uhhhhh you have some wasps or something building a spit/mud nest on your transmission. Might wanna tell them to find a new home?

Attachments

Last edited:

Dexterchelios

So am I accurate in understanding that the hose in question is supposed to be as it is and check the injector overflow line? I definitely appreciate everyone’s advice

I am having the same issue here. At first I was thinking it had something to do with the fact that I just replaced and re-primed the fuel filter by blowing fuel into it, but now I'm starting to think I may have damaged that return line during a recent "injector leak-off" test (pinching the return line with vice grips DID feel a bit overly aggressive on the old fragile lines :thinking:)... danger of doing your maintenance all at once. Anyone else have this happen after a leak-off test? Where do you get a new system of hoses to replace damaged ones?

Attachments

lindenengineering

Well that is a drain hose ,so you are filling up the valley around the injectors with diesel.
Eventually it will start to flow out from under the engine cover and pee all over the exhaust manifold.
Then you will have stinking diesel insect fogger on your hands.

Suggest a new leak off hose assy with "whoopty do" metal fittings, & would probably work well as an "easy fit 'n forget" @ $200.
If its a hose section only, and you like cobbling stuff together, (& you don't want to wait for parts by mail,) then buy a leak off hose kit for a GMC 1985 to 1994 6,2 to 6,5 diesel. (normally aspirated or wheezing turbo variant )
About $45 from your nearest Napa store for a not so microwave repair .
Dennis

Last edited:

Top Bottom