Bolts/Info for installing armrests.

wkstewart

I bought some aftermarket armrests for my 2003 3500.

Could anyone tell me what bolts are used to secure the armrests to the seat? I have opened the cover and see the predrilled holes that are applicable. I don't have a bolt in my home collection that fits. Seems bigger than an 8mm but don't currently have options to try various sizes and threads as we are in lockdown so would like to get the specs for the correct bolts and order online.

Thanks.

Last edited:

albertosalinas

Ya its a bigger bolt and long, maybe 2 1/2 in. I'll check when I get home, you should be able to get them at the hardware store easily since its not a special bolt (or looks special at all).

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Ya its a bigger bolt and long, maybe 2 1/2 in. I'll check when I get home, you should be able to get them at the hardware store easily since its not a special bolt (or looks special at all).
The ones that came with my kit (sourced from MB/FL waaaay back when) appeared to be case-hardened (that "black finish" kind'a thing) with a tapered "nose" for the first 3 turns.
They do appear to cut their own threads the first time they're inserted.

--dick

wkstewart

Great, thanks much. If you can determine the length, thread pitch, ect that would be fantastic.

wkstewart

The ones that came with my kit (sourced from MB/FL waaaay back when) appeared to be case-hardened (that "black finish" kind'a thing) with a tapered "nose" for the first 3 turns.
They do appear to cut their own threads the first time they're inserted.

--dick
Thank you for the confirmation on hardened and self tapping.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I’ve not had mine off, but if you can’t get the proper tapered bolts I suggest you pull a factory bolt from one of your existing arm rests and use it to form the threads for your new rests. The threads made in the seat are likely to be tight, so a standard bolt may have trouble starting in the hole.

-dave

wkstewart

I’ve not had mine off, but if you can’t get the proper tapered bolts I suggest you pull a factory bolt from one of your existing arm rests and use it to form the threads for your new rests. The threads made in the seat are likely to be tight, so a standard bolt may have trouble starting in the hole.

-dave
Thanks Dave but I have no existing arm rests to pull. My van came with two seats and zero armrests.

I would do but we are in lockdown at the moment as mentioned in original post, so hoping get specs to order online.
Point taken.

As suggested by someone earlier, I would suggest contacting MillionMileSprinter or Lindenengineering to see about parts. They both have some carcass Sprinters in their possession.

:cheers: vic

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
They must have a MB part number but the 2003 to 2006 Dodge parts lists all only gives a part number for the armrest including hardware...

ARMREST, Seat
05103710AA With Mounting Hardware, Left
05103711AA With Mounting Hardware, Right

Best option would be to find someone breaking a Sprinter as has already been suggested.

Keith.

wkstewart

They must have a MB part number but the 2003 to 2006 Dodge parts lists all only gives a part number for the armrest including hardware...

ARMREST, Seat
05103710AA With Mounting Hardware, Left
05103711AA With Mounting Hardware, Right

Best option would be to find someone breaking a Sprinter as has already been suggested.

Keith.
Thanks Keith, I failed to mention earlier that I checked for part numbers and saw the same result as you mention.

Sorry for the late response, its thread is 1.25, its 8mm in diameter, and 40mm long. It does appear to be a tapered end. Im including a photo of it.

It isn't uncommon for MB to use thread cutting and/or thread forming fasteners. It is very possible that the stamped steel seat frame pieces which receive the bolts aren't threaded at all.

:2cents: vic

glasseye

It isn't uncommon for MB to use thread cutting and/or thread forming fasteners. It is very possible that the stamped steel seat frame pieces which receive the bolts aren't threaded at all.

:2cents: vic
That was my impression when I installed mine. Very difficult to start, then normal threading.

I measured the passenger seat's armrest bolt position, marked the driver's seat with a Sharpie, then probed with a needle to find the actual holes. Took a while, but there they were, just as predicted by the forum. :professor:

Putting a LHS armrest for the driver was one of the best mods I ever did for Frito. :rad:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Agreeing with GlassEye, it certainly felt like they were cutting the threads the first time.
(i removed one for some reason and replaced it... on that pass the threading was much easier)

The 3 holes in the foam between the vinyl and the steel frame are already there ... you can feel them if you gently press on the vinyl with the flats of your fingertips.

In my case i was adding new exterior armrests to the seats, the interior rests were already there.

--dick

Top Bottom