U-pol Raptor liner entire inside/outside of van

itsasprinter

Well i finally got some good weather and also took your advice and upgraded my system. Did some research and got the cheapest 60 gal i could find.
sanded everything with 80-120. cleaned with IPA 3 times then right before used klean strip prep all for final wipe.

Attachments

sipma02

Currently full time in the van
Well i finally got some good weather and also took your advice and upgraded my system. Did some research and got the cheapest 60 gal i could find.
sanded everything with 80-120. cleaned with IPA 3 times then right before used klean strip prep all for final wipe.
Oh my goodness that looks good, wow!! Nice freakin work!

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Nice work. I just got done RLing the cab of my box. This was the third time using the product. Everything was going fine until on my third coat my gun (supplied schutz gun) got a bit clogged and sprayed unwanted globulars.

I have another Sprinter to do soon and I think I will thin it a little and make sure to clean out my gun between coats. Spray it at 60psi instead of 40psi.

rust is now at bay on the box! May now call it bird shit billy instead of the box now..8E89B913-E839-4AF6-BC38-FA7417C8FF9D.jpeg

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Nice work. I just got done RLing the cab of my box. This was the third time using the product. Everything was going fine until on my third coat my gun (supplied schutz gun) got a bit clogged and sprayed unwanted globulars.

I have another Sprinter to do soon and I think I will thin it a little and make sure to clean out my gun between coats. Spray it at 60psi instead of 40psi.

rust is now at bay on the box! May now call it bird shit billy instead of the box now..View attachment 134564
I like it.

Hows the paint on the box holding up? Do I see some tree branch caught on the solar panel corner? ;)

The best thing about the liner coatings, is that you can touch them up without it being really obvious. I need to do a bunch of spots on our van soon.

Last edited:

itsasprinter

rust is now at bay on the box! May now call it bird shit billy instead of the box now..View attachment 134564
thats good to know! I was running the schutz gun at 65psi and i was cleaning the gun every 2 bottles of raptor. i did notice that there was build up in the gun.

vanski

I like it.

Hows the paint on the box holding up? Do I see some tree branch caught on the solar panel corner? ;)

The best thing about the liner coatings, is that you can touch them up without it being really obvious. I need to do a bunch of spots on our van soon.
good eye.. I like to keep evidence of bushwhacking whenever possible

box paint is holding up okay to pretty good. Said tree limbs have definitely scratched it a bit, skis which were intended to leaning and slid down, Etc have taken a bit of a tole. The metal pieces on the door which were painted over have just started flaking. All in all still looking pretty good. The box is also easy to touch up now.. so yes, I’d say ease of maintenance for my entire rig to look at least look good is great! easy to touch up, no need to clay bar, rub, wax, polish!

vanski

thats good to know! I was running the schutz gun at 65psi and i was cleaning the gun every 2 bottles of raptor. i did notice that there was build up in the gun.
Sounds like a good plan.. wish I would have run straight urethane thinner through it after a couple bottles.

itsasprinter

good eye.. I like to keep evidence of bushwhacking whenever possible

box paint is holding up okay to pretty good. Said tree limbs have definitely scratched it a bit, skis which were intended to leaning and slid down, Etc have taken a bit of a tole. The metal pieces on the door which were painted over have just started flaking. All in all still looking pretty good. The box is also easy to touch up now.. so yes, I’d say ease of maintenance for my entire rig to look at least look good is great! easy to touch up, no need to clay bar, rub, wax, polish!
im curious did you use the 2k epoxy primer or did you just go raptor directly on the old paint?

vanski

im curious did you use the 2k epoxy primer or did you just go raptor directly on the old paint?
i had some rust around the windshield and some other rust spots. I also had the classic flaking off of the oem paint. On the rust I cleaned it really good with simple green, wire wheeled it until I got off as much rust as possible, por15 degreaser, rinsed with water, applied por15 metal prep, rinsed with water, then applied por15. Por15 is similar I believe to upol 2k epoxy primer.

on the flaky areas I sanded until nothing was flaking then used rustolium primer.

I then took 100gp and roughed everythingP up. Then degreased. Then shot.

if the base coat is in okay shape my experience is raptor will stick to it just fine as long as it’s roughed up:cheers:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If your factory paint peels off with a piece of painters tape (mine did in many places), then you will have chipping and separation issues around sharp curves, like the window cut-out and body seams.

Well bonded factory paint is a good primer. Just sand with the appropriate grit and degrease thoroughly.

itsasprinter

so i needed to move some outdoor furniture from storage to my house and i used the van thinking the flooring was ok. nope 2 spots some pulled up. it took the primer up also in one spot. these were light aluminium outdoor chairs with plastic feet i'm not to happy with the raptor already. im going to see if i can order the Legend Fleet Sprinter 3/8" StabiliGrip Composite Floor and install that over the raptor.

glasseye

I removed my T1N factory plywood floor when I installed rubber horse stall mats for sound insulation. I so admired the material I just couldn't throw it out. Since then, it's seen dozens of uses, inside Frito and elsewhere. Fantastic material.

vanski

If it’s picking up the primer the raptor isn’t the problem.. it’s the bonding between the primer and the body.

itsasprinter

If it’s picking up the primer the raptor isn’t the problem.. it’s the bonding between the primer and the body.
it must have been a prep error on my part, it was right on the edge of a ridge. i sanded it hit it with bulldog and touched it up. hopefully that fixed that issue.

itsasprinter

Still trying to work on this and again the weather is not helping at all. Got some more parts painted and attempted shooting half the van with two coats of primer outside on a windy day! ended up with a ton of orange peel but its ok. talk about learning how to use and clean a HVLP between jobs.

Attachments

itsasprinter

To resurrect this post i ended up finishing the inside and outside of the sprinter with Raptor. it also got new rims and tires, a windshield, window tint, light bar, AC parts, cooling system parts. We put 1000 miles on it just towing the jet ski around town it has been flawless. it even took 90 mph winds and hail like a champ. I tell your one thing it grabs a lot of attention and people walk up asking "is that entire thing bed liner?" "what do you use that for" the outside has held up very well, and does not show dirt like i was thinking it would. the temp inside the van has increased because of the color. but what are you going to do.

Attachments

Top Bottom