Battery Disconnect

Stevengoodrich

I'm a newbie to the forum and just got my 2012 Sprinter 170x ERA 3500. I've read many of the posts about disconnecting the battery to keep the chassis battery from draining (which it has after parking for a few weeks). I found the battery cable near the driver pedals and read that's the place to disconnect - but, and don't laugh, I don't see how to pull or disconnect it. What's the trick to separating the cable from the RV? Thanks

2x1968muscle

Itasca Reyo 25R
Re: Newbie with questions - Battery Disconnect

I'm a newbie to the forum and just got my 2012 Sprinter 170x ERA 3500. I've read many of the posts about disconnecting the battery to keep the chassis battery from draining (which it has after parking for a few weeks). I found the battery cable near the driver pedals and read that's the place to disconnect - but, and don't laugh, I don't see how to pull or disconnect it. What's the trick to separating the cable from the RV? Thanks
Red Button on mine that you push down and it releases the ground cable from the chassis pin.
Its not always "easy" to get it to release so be persistant

showkey

Re: Newbie with questions - Battery Disconnect

In which you'll find:

View attachment 127912

I find it interesting that they WANT the key IN the ignition (not "on") during the re-connect.

--dick
That is very interesting..........have to say I have never done that. Next week is my spring wake up get it out of storage after 5 months of hibernation. In the past I would get a CANBUS communication error code during the “wake up” battery connect (not every time, but it has occurred).

showkey

AGM batteries like the chassis battery in the Sprinter when disconnected have a very low *self discharge rate.

Store my RV inside but have no power available. Last three years did not pull the battery or charge in the off season.

I do have several chargers/maintainers from Accumate and CTEK. Would not touch a HF $10 tender with 10’ pole.

* A new AGM typically self-discharges at about 1-2% per month, while an old one may be as much as 2% per week.
AGM batteries are less prone to sulfation and can sit in storage for longer before a charge becomes necessary. The battery stands up well to low temperatures and has a low self-discharge.

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Would not touch a HF $10 tender with 10’ pole..
Is this your religion, or do you have technical issues?
Have been using those maintainers for 25 years and usually have 3-4 in use at any given time.
When they can fail, like everything else, they do decent job.
I actually abuse them by connecting 2 big batteries parallel.

D

Deleted member 50714

Curious how some folks are quick to offer subpar advice about others peoples vehicle's.

For optimal battery performance, service life, and prompt engine start-up after storage, apply a maintainer.

Some people will argue an hour about doing a 5-minute PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE task.

Last edited by a moderator:

showkey

Absolutely technical issues.

If you believe the battery voltage float control and charging profile is adequate for an AGM battery with a certain brand chargers and so called maintainers .........that’s all good too.

On the up side a quality Sprinter AGM battery when disconnected will be fine for months.

What also curious is people that quote every detail of MB with importance of the MB specs, rules, recommendation, exacting parts requirements and then skip some details.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

Here's a PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE discussed in MB Commercial Vans Webcast. Remove stud, clean, replace. I guess some are corroded and or not sufficiently torqued.

Attachments

wcsprinter

Roadtrippin'
I just reconnected my battery after being disconnected for about 3 weeks. This is the longest it has ever sat so I've never done it before.

My check engine light is now on. Is that a common occurrence for folks? It drove fine for a quick shake down run and started up with no issues.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I just reconnected my battery after being disconnected for about 3 weeks. This is the longest it has ever sat so I've never done it before.

My check engine light is now on. Is that a common occurrence for folks? It drove fine for a quick shake down run and started up with no issues.
Did you have the key in the ignition (not necessarily "on") when you reconnected the battery?

(the book says to...)

--dick

wcsprinter

Roadtrippin'
Did you have the key in the ignition (not necessarily "on") when you reconnected the battery?

(the book says to...)

--dick

I did have the key inserted. I saw the suggestion on here and saw that in my book as well. I also drove it for a bit and tried the book suggestion about starting it a few times. The only thing I didn’t do was start it after refueling as it states in the book. I’ve got a full tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 50714

If you own scanner, Pull codes or vector to nearest AutobZone.

As long as no apparent performance issues, Drive her on der autobahn, keep her above 2,200 Rpm's, stop, cycle key off, restart, continue driving. Providing everything within spec, OBD should extinguish CEL.

wcsprinter

Roadtrippin'
If you own scanner, Pull codes or vector to nearest AutobZone.

As long as no apparent performance issues, Drive her on der autobahn, keep her above 2,200 Rpm's, stop, cycle key off, restart, continue driving. Providing everything within spec, OBD should extinguish CEL.

I’m putting a scanner in my shopping cart tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom