CB, Ham, FRS, etc. Any radio nerds out there?

TorqueMonster72

Red Forman is my hero dumbass
Hey all - part of my Rhino build is to add in Kenwood TM-D710G Dual Band Mobile Radio with a Larson NMO-2/70K.
I am going to place this on the roof, but I need guidance please. I am new to Ham and taking the exam shortly - please help a newb

this is the real estate I have
InkedCapture_LI.jpg

EDIT this location up front is what I am thinking. I can drop the line here and route the line through the B Pilar.
I am planning to place the main unit in the pedestal under the driver seat.

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Not much room left up there, but all you can do is place the antenna as far away from any mass of metal as practical.

marklg

Not much room left up there, but all you can do is place the antenna as far away from any mass of metal as practical.
Yes, you want just the metal roof below it for at least a 1/4 wave or 19 inches. So, 19 inches from an edge of the roof and at least 19 inches from any piece of metal that sticks up like fan, awning, etc. You want a good ground plane below it (the metal roof) that makes up the other half of the antenna system. You want nothing near the part of the antenna that sticks up that can detune it. If you offset it to one side of the roof, it will usually favor the direction with the most metal ground plane.

You really should get the antenna without the connector. It is much easier to fish the coax through where it goes and then put the connector on. Someone should be able to help with that. Installing connectors is a skill you should have. I make up most of my own cables. That way they are exactly the length you need. I think Larson sells kits with the connector separate. I drill a pilot hole and then use a Greenlee punch to make round holes. You can get an endoscope to help fish wires.

Temporarily, a mag mount will work well too. I easily hit a mountaintop repeater 100 miles away. HAAT (Height Above Average Terrain) is your friend. A 6000 ft mountain helps a lot, but a 9 foot Sprinter vs a 5 foot car is a help too. Look at this calculator:

Put in your height for one (radar but it does not really matter) and the other end height for the other (target). If you have two antennas at 9 feet instead of 5 feet, you get a couple extra miles range. A 6000 foot mountain and a 9 foot Sprinter will easily get 100 miles.

Regards,

Mark

TorqueMonster72

Red Forman is my hero dumbass
Yes, you want just the metal roof below it for at least a 1/4 wave or 19 inches. So, 19 inches from an edge of the roof and at least 19 inches from any piece of metal that sticks up like fan, awning, etc. You want a good ground plane below it (the metal roof) that makes up the other half of the antenna system. You want nothing near the part of the antenna that sticks up that can detune it. If you offset it to one side of the roof, it will usually favor the direction with the most metal ground plane.
Perfect thanks - appreciate the lesson and will show pics of intended location.

You really should get the antenna without the connector. It is much easier to fish the coax through where it goes and then put the connector on. Someone should be able to help with that. Installing connectors is a skill you should have. I make up most of my own cables. That way they are exactly the length you need. I think Larson sells kits with the connector separate. I drill a pilot hole and then use a Greenlee punch to make round holes. You can get an endoscope to help fish wires.
How I bought the cable and base. I have my own crimps and connector ends for RF. I have a source that works in a Telco.... I do all my own terminations with heat shrink.
I am going to also use a weatherproof strain relief with Butyl tape on both sides of the strain relief.

Temporarily, a mag mount will work well too. I easily hit a mountaintop repeater 100 miles away. HAAT (Height Above Average Terrain) is your friend. A 6000 ft mountain helps a lot, but a 9 foot Sprinter vs a 5 foot car is a help too. Look at this calculator:

Put in your height for one (radar but it does not really matter) and the other end height for the other (target). If you have two antennas at 9 feet instead of 5 feet, you get a couple extra miles range. A 6000 foot mountain and a 9 foot Sprinter will easily get 100 miles.

Regards,

Mark
I am in BC - no clear LOS so I will be using mountain top repeaters throughout the province.

colinlantz

Has anyone here done a radio installation in the FF8 Overhead storage slot? Pictures? Issues? Wondering about heat buildup in this enclosed space.

IMG_0922.jpg

Nic7320

Solera 24S on a 2011 NCV3 chassis
I recall the days when making dx contacts to someplace halfway around the world was a big deal. Now... anyone can do it just by connecting to the internet.

So I haven't keyed a mic in years.

Last edited:

joel_canuk

Has anyone here done a radio installation in the FF8 Overhead storage slot? Pictures? Issues? Wondering about heat buildup in this enclosed space.

View attachment 215819
I have my VHF commercial radio mounted there. You will not have a problem with heat, many commercial vehicles have the radio mounted in the overhead console. When i have time I will upload a picture of install.

colinlantz

I have my VHF commercial radio mounted there. You will not have a problem with heat, many commercial vehicles have the radio mounted in the overhead console. When i have time I will upload a picture of install.
Cool. Thnx. Yes, post picture please when you have a moment.

Top Bottom