Can I just say how much I love my van even more in times like this...

Shawn182

I love having my van conversion.

Not only to have an apartment on wheels wherever I go which has opened up new opportunities and travel, but in time like this having it available even for just day use.

Once or twice a week I still need to travel several hours from my house for "essential" work in support of recovery efforts then back home that night Having my own bathroom, mobile office, power, sink, fridge with food and beverages, disinfectant wipes, and supplies with me at all times...while still being able to take my dog as well...has been freakin awesome.

Thats all.

It's good to have options.

Just the other day I checked our RV trailer condition, heating system, and made up the double bed. It will be our isolation ward. If I get the Covid-19 disease I'll be banished... um... quarantined to the RV trailer. If my wife gets the Covid-19 disease I'll be banished... um... quarantined to the RV trailer.

It should work fine either way.

:cheers: vic

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
I was thinking the same thing. In this time when safe travel is hard to come by, I know I could cross the country if necessary while not coming in contact with another human being. In fact I might prefer it :smilewink:

glasseye

I was thinking the same thing. In this time when safe travel is hard to come by, I know I could cross the country if necessary while not coming in contact with another human being. In fact I might prefer it :smilewink:
I've done exactly that. Quite an amazing experience, really. :hmmm:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Not to mention that with huge range on a tank those vans make, the risk during fueling is minimal.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
I figure that if you used disposable gloves to fuel, or just used a lot of hand sanitizer after pumping, you would lower the chance of infection that way to just about nil. Beyond that, if fully self-contained there's no reason that you'd even have to exit the vehicle from the time you left until arrival.

Boathik

Tinkerer extraordinaire
Gloves are in high demand, dog poop bags are in plentiful supply and work just fine for handling the fuel pump. Save the gloves for when you really need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparkplug

...and be very careful how you take them off.

Just imagine that the outside of them is completely covered in highly toxic paint and make sure you don't touch the outside of the second glove after you've taken off the first - or there was no point using gloves to start with.

Dog poop bag is an excellent suggestion!

MsNomer

MrNomer and I were discussing who should isolate in the van—the sick one or the well one. I settled that one quickly—well or sick, I get the van.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Just wash your hands after fueling, and before you eat, touch your face, etc. Gloves can provide a false sense of security. Next time you see someone wearing gloves, watch them for a bit. How often do they touch they face? What about their phone?

It's good to have options.

Just the other day I checked our RV trailer condition, heating system, and made up the double bed. It will be our isolation ward. If I get the Covid-19 disease I'll be banished... um... quarantined to the RV trailer. If my wife gets the Covid-19 disease I'll be banished... um... quarantined to the RV trailer.

It should work fine either way.

The good or bad news is by the time you figure you have Covid she’ll already have it too.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I take great comfort in knowing we have a second home should we need it. The driving range is double our other vehicles, meaning less handling of fuel pumps. Here in California it appears the home isolation is working on flattening the curve, so hopefully people stay vigilant at doing so. We should have been leaving in the van for Baja today, but feeling fortunate to be safe and still employed.

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
The "social distances" are not observed by most of the people.
We live at edge of Las Vegas, where across the street we have desert and a mountain for any kind of hiking/climbing/walking you can imagine. Yet very few people use it those days.
Friend drove to Great Canyon North Rim couple days ago and it was crowded.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I am not sure the friend actually enter the North Rim park, but the area are his long-time mushroom picking grounds and there is lot of forest there.
Will have to ask him. Red Rock Canyon - great recreation area on suburbans of Vegas is locked down all together.
Valley of Fire allows day hiking only with all amenities closed.
So with cheap fuel lately, day trips to North Rim might be good idea, although we do have mentioned desert across the street.
Point is that you don't want to go 1000th time on the same desert and like to change.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I take great comfort in knowing we have a second home should we need it. The driving range is double our other vehicles, meaning less handling of fuel pumps. Here in California it appears the home isolation is working on flattening the curve, so hopefully people stay vigilant at doing so. We should have been leaving in the van for Baja today, but feeling fortunate to be safe and still employed.
The driving range of your 4-cylinder diesel Sprinter is a tremendous advantage. I sure wish Mercedes/Daimler would bring that engine or a newer version to the market in USA. In the mean time I'm focused on the new, soon to be released Transit 2.0L 4-cylinder diesel for USA market. Ford is also now offering a larger 31 gallon fuel tank in the 2020 Transits. That combination would provide unheard of driving range in a van.

The good or bad news is by the time you figure you have Covid she’ll already have it too.
That could happen, but it isn't a given.

Most all experts recommend isolation of a known sick individual even when in the same household. If the ill person is in a separated area with open windows it reduces the viral loading in the general area. We don't have a specific immunity to this coronavirus, but we do have a basic immune system which can trap and eliminate virus and bacteria. High viral loading makes that basic system less effective.

I know that there have been couples on boats where one has contracted the virus and the other appears to not get infected.

This appears to be one example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqcQbp4cnIw
Another example would be a British passenger on the Diamond Princess. He was tested as positive. To my knowledge his wife never contracted the disease.

It's possible that the partners had no symptoms, but did have the disease. People who have no symptoms at all are in the minority, so statistics would be against that. Another possibility. Unless tested, the ill person may not have even had Covid-19 disease at all.

Regardless, it is best to isolate an infected individual to reduce viral loading. That reduces the chances of passing it on, but that doesn't negate it.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
We also hear about married couples where 1 had AIDS and the other did not.
I am finding lot of conflicting information about Coronavirus. Some say it should die in the mater of short hours when on cardboard and warm weather.
Others say it can survive 3 or more days on the groceries you bring home.
When we are consider "mild-risk" group being healthy but at higher age, we do notice friends and neighbours, who having age + health problems don't hesitate to go shopping every few days and contact other people on regural basis. They are educated people, so I just wonder what are they thinking? Playing Russian roulette with your life?

Well... so much for the minority theory. :bash:

It's possible that the partners had no symptoms, but did have the disease. People who have no symptoms at all are in the minority, so statistics would be against that. Another possibility. Unless tested, the ill person may not have even had Covid-19 disease at all.

Regardless, it is best to isolate an infected individual to reduce viral loading. That reduces the chances of passing it on, but that doesn't negate it.

:2cents: vic
Dr. Fauci recently claimed that 50% of those infected have no symptoms.

Still stands for me.

Top Bottom