Ceramic coating

red_johnny

Ok, got a question for you all. While not necessarily specific to the VS30 I figure it could be beneficial to post here in case anyone else is planning the same. I plan to do a paint correction to the van once I get it. Immediately following that, I plan to ceramic coat it. Now my question is has anyone done a ceramic coating to a vehicle this size and if so, how much product did you use?
There are a variety of sizes of bottles depending on the product you use. I think I would need at least 2 bottles, probably 3 but I don't intend to coat the entire roof. I have not decided on which product I will use yet. I would also like to put truck liner on my exterior plastics like the primed front/rear bumpers and side bumpers.

I used Opticoat and it was two 10ml tubes with some left over that I used for two coats on the front hood, roof,doors,and Quarter panels. I needed scaffolding to do the correction and prep work then coating. I used a Rupes MKII 15MM. and Rupes mini 3". Yellow pads and yellow top polish (Keramic gloss fine) because the paint was new and only had some dealer induced defects. All in it took two long days not including washing,clay,plastic,and tires. All indoors. I used a Scan Grip light to check my work.

sanomechanic

Ok, got a question for you all. While not necessarily specific to the VS30 I figure it could be beneficial to post here in case anyone else is planning the same. I plan to do a paint correction to the van once I get it. Immediately following that, I plan to ceramic coat it. Now my question is has anyone done a ceramic coating to a vehicle this size and if so, how much product did you use?
There are a variety of sizes of bottles depending on the product you use. I think I would need at least 2 bottles, probably 3 but I don't intend to coat the entire roof. I have not decided on which product I will use yet. I would also like to put truck liner on my exterior plastics like the primed front/rear bumpers and side bumpers.

I used this product and the result was impressive. 1 bottle did my 144.. bird poop sprays right off with out a trace. Deep shine too. Made my Blue Grey paint look like a 2 stage paint job

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H4D1ZAY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cant say how much they used as I had a local shop apply it however the results are impressive! They paint corrected the van using Griots products then coated it using Ceramic Pro. The paint now has a deep wet shine that looks amazing and is so easy to clean, spray it off at the wash, drive dry it and your done. They coated bumpers, rack, boxes, wheels etc.

I see your in KS and this was done at Wichita Clear Bra.

Best of luck on your project

sanomechanic

What are people paying to have this done? What van configuration and cost
Ranges from $800-$2600 around here depending the treatment quality

I washed van very good....Slicked out with clay bar kit . So...good to spay with alcohol / water mixture and remove all water spots, lint ect. What ever you coat with ceramic will then be permanent. Perfect Coronavirus..Shelter in Place project

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186RUIGO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

....then used

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H4D1ZAY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did this over a 3 day period....Day 1 front clip...day 2 right side and rear doors day 3 left side, wheels and touch up work. about 10 hours total work.
Then used .. 303 on all plastic panels,bumpers,door handles,headlamp lenses and weather strips to protect from sun.
ARMOR ALL SUCKS and is garbage. Will dry stuff out over time and collect dirt.

https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Aerospace-Protectant-Furniture/dp/B0004ELKC4?th=1

The final result..."STUNNING". Dust, bird poop washes off with a hose blast. Resists scratches...:professor:

Attachments

Last edited:

red_johnny

Nice, thanks for all the replies. I did a paint correction on my current 2014 and got really good results. This is something I will do myself. sanomechanic, looks great!

Last edited:

red_johnny

Thanks Overvand for the link but I wasn't talking insulation. Ceramic coating is something done to the exterior of the vehicle which protects the paint, enhances the shine and adds hydrophobic properties. In the end, you get a thin layer of 9H hardness to the paint, great shine, and dirt wont want to stick to it. While it will help against damage on a small scale it wont protect against rock chips (might reduce how many you get though).

red_johnny

I cant say how much they used as I had a local shop apply it however the results are impressive! They paint corrected the van using Griots products then coated it using Ceramic Pro. The paint now has a deep wet shine that looks amazing and is so easy to clean, spray it off at the wash, drive dry it and your done. They coated bumpers, rack, boxes, wheels etc.

I see your in KS and this was done at Wichita Clear Bra.

Best of luck on your project
Thanks, cant wait to get started on this.:thumbup:

Overvand

'20 144" HR 4x4
Thanks Overvand for the link but I wasn't talking insulation. Ceramic coating is something done to the exterior of the vehicle which protects the paint, enhances the shine and adds hydrophobic properties. In the end, you get a thin layer of 9H hardness to the paint, great shine, and dirt wont want to stick to it. While it will help against damage on a small scale it wont protect against rock chips (might reduce how many you get though).
Yeah, I figured that out immediately after the next post. I just saw "ceramic" and didn't read beyond, because I'm engrossed in deciding on the Lizzard skin for my van. :doh:

red_johnny

Yeah, I figured that out immediately after the next post. I just saw "ceramic" and didn't read beyond, because I'm engrossed in deciding on the Lizzard skin for my van. :doh:
Too easy. This is why I love this forum. People helping each other out and quickly. I don't mind, I learned about ceramic insulation. Good info. :thumbup:

Manci2012

I have a question regarding paint issues?
i had purchased brand new unit 1.5 months ago , W907- 3500XD
Artic white with clear coat by factory ,
why are these spots on new paint , dealership giving me hard time !
is anyone experience it , what is the solution to fix it ?

red_johnny

Pics?

Motodisiac

Moto Terrorist
I recently coated my van with this product. Overall, I was quite happy with the results. My 144WB tall was a lot of work, took most of the day. I remember thinking that I was grateful I didn't use true ceramic coatings that come in tiny bottles, they are a lot more complicated to apply.

I think no coating is going to be magic, you still need to maintain the vehicle if you want it to look spectacular.

sanomechanic

Arctic White is single stage paint. No clear. That's why ceramic coating is so important. My old van was white and paint stained easy by bird poo, leaves, pine straw. Because there is no clear to protect color. All the basic colors are single stage

Top Bottom