The Staff of Life - Bread (not Beer)

I was bamboozled by amazon!! :bash:

My daughter just sent me this from a local grocery store.

yeast4bucks.jpg

This price is more in line with what I recall pre-Covid.

:cheers: vic

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
This price is more in line with what I recall pre-Covid.

Don't you worry. Right now not too many people buy anything and since lot of people dine at home - we do have oversupply of food.
But once people will go back to work, all that paper with $$$ imprinted on it will drop value like crazy.

I learned a bit about Panko from this video. We often use it in place of bread crumbs. I didn't know why it was different. I always ass-u-me'd that maybe it had rice or some other ingredient included. It doesn't.

The reported history of how it came to be starts about the 2:00 mark. I found the entire video worthwhile.

rollerbearing

Very interesting video.

I've been using pan toasted panko on pasta lately. The recipe I use is behind a pay wall but this one is almost identical:
I just use basil - but parsley and other stuff would be good too.

I use olive oil in the pan (instead of butter) for toasting.

The crunch of the bread crumbs makes a very interesting contrast on the pasta.

Thanks for the reply.

This is continuing off topic, but what the heck.

Just this evening my wife made chicken cutlets using Panko. She didn't have anything else in mind so I suggested a rice noodle dish I found on line, but hadn't tried yet. The Panko fried chicken cutlets and noodles were a good combination.

The noodle dish.

I used brown sugar (on hand) and added some peanuts (just because).

vic

rollerbearing

Not wanting to do all the work of keeping a sourdough starter alive - sounded like a Tamagotchi to me - I've been doing the "Old Dough" method.

Ratioed a 4 cup recipe up to 5 and after the initial rise held back one cup and put it in the fridge. Next loaf I dissolved the old dough into water and added that to the regular 4 cup recipe (with the normal amount of yeast) and added the rest of the necessary water.

Held back 1 cup from that after the rise .........and so on.

Got some really good sourdough aromas and flavors after a few cycles of this.

Then we went camping on Thanksgiving and the fridge went out while we were gone. Got back before things got nasty in the fridge but threw out everything. Was the most bummed about losing that old dough. Starting over.

Interesting - recovered yeast from ancient pottery - said he wound up with some really unique smelling dough

Last edited:

rollerbearing

Top Bottom