2004 turning over, acting like it wants to start, but doesn't

MrZombie

So we've got a gremlin somewhere in a 2004 2.7 that my business partner just bought...

Van turns over just fine, acts like it's about to start but then dies.

My though was a sensor (cam/crankshaft) but they're displaying fine...

Using Xentry, the CDI pulls up 1482-001 (preglow fault - at least one glow plug has short), 2136-001 (component r14 is faulty, short circuit to ground), 2511-001 (Component y85 EGR postioner is faulty - short circuit to ground).
edit: and it did at one point spit out the p2673 with the MBII scanner without any details.

The glowplugs seem fine, so I'm wondering if the cables have frayed and are shorting out somewhere - would that keep it from starting?

I'll post an updated screenshot of codes tomorrow when I get back into the shop but I'm leaning on someone not plugging something in correctly when the engine and trans were put back into the sprinter.

sorry for hurried post - I'm tired of chasing down gremlins and thought I'd pick the community's brain. Yes I've searched the forums and google for everything I could think of (from bad ground connection to fuse box to GP relay controller)

Last edited:

koenb

It should start trouble free (temp depending) even if all 5 glow plugs are inoperative. I'd look elsewhere. Stuck/faulty EGR valves are common. *Fairly easy to pull and inspect/clean, provided it's not seized in there. I'm sure others with a better understanding of the fueli system will ask about what rail pressures you're seeing during start, would be good to post that info.

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
Do you have ALL intake hoses hooked up? If you do not, it will not start.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
I would suspect a faulty engine to chassis ground strap as the most likely candidate, followed by a shot inside the wiring loom, most likely where it bends behind the air filter. The quick ground wire test is to clip both leads of jumper cables from the engine block to the negative battery terminal. If it fires right up, you’ve confirmed poor ground

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
P2637 is low fuel pressure.

P2637 Rail pressure monitoring via pressure control valve. Low fuel pressure or a leak in low pressure side has been reported.

Confirm your cranking rail pressure to start. If that's low, confirm you have at least 55 psi on the low pressure feed from the fuel tank.

MrZombie

It should start trouble free (temp depending) even if all 5 glow plugs are inoperative. I'd look elsewhere. Stuck/faulty EGR valves are common. *Fairly easy to pull and inspect/clean, provided it's not seized in there. I'm sure others with a better understanding of the fueli system will ask about what rail pressures you're seeing during start, would be good to post that info.
We hadn't checked the EGR; I'll see in a few hours. Should have a spare sitting around somewhere.

Do you have ALL intake hoses hooked up? If you do not, it will not start.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Yup, checked all of the hoses.

I would suspect a faulty engine to chassis ground strap as the most likely candidate, followed by a shot inside the wiring loom, most likely where it bends behind the air filter. The quick ground wire test is to clip both leads of jumper cables from the engine block to the negative battery terminal. If it fires right up, you’ve confirmed poor ground
One of the first things see replaced was the frayed ground strap ☹

P2637 is low fuel pressure.

P2637 Rail pressure monitoring via pressure control valve. Low fuel pressure or a leak in low pressure side has been reported.

Confirm your cranking rail pressure to start. If that's low, confirm you have at least 55 psi on the low pressure feed from the fuel tank.
I'll double check that again but a friend of mine that looked at it said pressure is getting to injectors fine and spray pattern looks good.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence

I'll double check that again but a friend of mine that looked at it said pressure is getting to injectors fine and spray pattern looks good.
So you were getting at least 3,000 psi when cranking? Are you saying he pulled an injector?

If a Diesel has the following, it will start.

Fuel
air
compression

You need at least 3,000 psi for the ECM to inject fuel. This is timed by the crank and camshaft sensors. Compression needs to be in the 250psi+ range typically. Make sure the intake hoses aren't collapsed, and the air filter is not clogged.

Last edited:

Top Bottom