Factory Tow Hitch vs. Aftermarket

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
So I plan to install a hitch on my new to me 2015 170 and found this plug hanging down by the spare tire.
Not that you asked...

If those green looking parts are corrosion they should be cleaned up before mating any connector to them. Some Vaseline or electrical grease will help halt further corrsion.

:2cents: vic

Bobnoxious

Adeptus Trollarium
So I plan to install a hitch on my new to me 2015 170 and found this plug hanging down by the spare tire. I assume this is for the trailer wiring so is there an adapter to just plug into it and convert to standard 4 prong for a small utility trailer or do I have to splice into it?View attachment 147597
I can't answer your question about the plug.

Five years ago, I wanted to add a hitch. Not as simple as it sounds on a Sprinter. Did research, accumulated necessary MB tech info, part numbers, etc.

Final analysis, decided not worth the grief and expense and didn't want others practicing on my Sprinter. YMMV.

Good luck and keep the collective informed of your results???

Kajtek1

2015 long/tall limo RV 2.1l
I just installed $160 hitch on my 2015 Sprinter. China-made and fits like a glove. Very nice welds and powder coating who bits the Curt hitch I installed on my Ford by a mile.
Talking about trailer plugs, its been common for years that European MB models have trailer plug, who detects trailer and adjust transmission shifting.
To my knowledge no US models ever had such plug.

Bobnoxious

Adeptus Trollarium
I just installed $160 hitch on my 2015 Sprinter. China-made and fits like a glove. Very nice welds and powder coating who bits the Curt hitch I installed on my Ford by a mile.
Talking about trailer plugs, its been common for years that European MB models have trailer plug, who detects trailer and adjust transmission shifting.
Installing the piddly hitch isn't what stopped me. It's the notoriously shitty European electrics I don't want to fugg with and locating a previously experienced tech to preform programming. All requiring hours of traveling long distances, driving in highly traffic congested areas, inundated with aggressive, hostile, rude irascible millennials, while dealing with clueless dealership pukey parts people, who can't find their arse with both hands.

As far as Chinese made. I try to advoid buying Chinese made crap. Especially components made from Chinese steel. Chinese steel is crap. Considering China's questionable steel quality, I recommend you seriously consider magnafluxing your Beijing Special. Who knows, the lives you save could because a Sprinter filled with soccer moms and curtain climbers.

Kajtek1

I have degree in mechanics and mild steel is mild steel. No matter if made in China, or US.
Long years since I worked with US steel, but what I remember, USA is not manufacturing lot of steel. Most of tubing and channels we used in California were made in Korea, or China.
Than when it comes to heat-treated steel, I accept German only.
Broke too many US-made Craftsman tools in my life, before Craftsman moved production to China.
I can take pictures comparing China hitch from Sprinter to Curt's hitch made in ????
Give me a day and you will see how crappy Curt is comparing to Chinese.
Now the electric trailer plug you can find on some models is not something you have to use.
Over the years I installed trailer wiring on 4 or 5 MB from 300DTD via ML320 to E300DT. Sprinter trailer wires are on my schedule for next week, or even maybe tomorrow.
Never had a problem with powered converter.

randymacbc

Mine is Canadian model. This plug hanging by the spare tire must be for a trailer plug unless someone knows otherwise, and yes the green is corrosion that I will clean off20200715_152118.jpg

Kajtek1

Did you check how much MB CANADA charges for the harness?
I did in the past and with 10 bucks for universal controller I never looked back
Another reason was that with 300lb trailer I didn't want lower gear shift

Bobnoxious

Adeptus Trollarium
I have degree in mechanics and mild steel is mild steel. No matter if made in China, or US.
Long years since I worked with US steel, but what I remember, USA is not manufacturing lot of steel. Most of tubing and channels we used in California were made in Korea, or China.
Than when it comes to heat-treated steel, I accept German only.
Broke too many US-made Craftsman tools in my life, before Craftsman moved production to China.
I can take pictures comparing China hitch from Sprinter to Curt's hitch made in ????
Give me a day and you will see how crappy Curt is comparing to Chinese.
Now the electric trailer plug you can find on some models is not something you have to use.
Over the years I installed trailer wiring on 4 or 5 MB from 300DTD via ML320 to E300DT. Sprinter trailer wires are on my schedule for next week, or even maybe tomorrow.
Never had a problem with powered converter.

I dunno brother, life boils down to individual comfort zone. Wouldn't hurt to routinely inspect Mao's manufacturered hitch. Stop supporting the commie bastards.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Factory step, Heins hitch arms and curts rv adjustable hitch. The curt part is #13702. I waited a few weeks and got an Amazon warehouse deal for $107. You can't get the fit any nicer with a factory step.
That looks great. Super clean and factory looking. I had mine done at a Uhaul center. They’ve done a few hitch installs for me in the past, no issues. But I wouldn’t recommend them for a sprinter hitch install. Not sure what brand the hitch is but it doesn’t look as good as factory, and imo it’s too close to the exhaust outlet. And the “technician” routed the wiring harness through the spare tire cage! WHAAAAT. So I fixed that myself rather than go back. It bothers me enough that I may end up replacing the hitch with a factory model.

hvydee

I was just quoted triple the price for OEM compared to Curt and Drawtite. I think I’m ok with this, not many Factory accessories besides the hitch I’ll be adding in future. I do notice it appears the departure angle is not as compromised with the factory unit. The aftermarkets seem to have the mounting plates hang lower uneccesarily. Not that this is an off roading beast, but it is a 4x4 so that’s a consideration.
I have also read multiple times on reviews and forums the aftermarkets have inferior finishes, and have read great reviews of the OEM finish.
I think I’ll personally call Pelican and confirm their quoted part
907-310-02-00-MBZ is for my exact rig and order up.
Hi, did you end up installing the factory hitch part number 907-310-02-00-MBZ ? I want to put this on my 2019 2wd crew sprinter but I want to be sure it fits and comes complete from Pelican. I want to install an aftermarket rear step and none of them will work this a curt or drawtite hitch that I can see.

Kajtek1

I dunno brother, life boils down to individual comfort zone. Wouldn't hurt to routinely inspect Mao's manufacturered hitch. Stop supporting the commie bastards.

I happen to work for California steel mill manufacturing rebars years ago.
There was 1 criteria who determinate success in melt shop.
- when steel come out it was a success.
Lot of failed tests. Than the shaped steel we used for repairs, it was mostly Asian.
You see the irony? It takes Asian steel to manufacture steel in USA.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Yes, that is the standard (for MB) 10-pin intermediate socket that their trailer system ends up at.
Here's the NCV3 wiring diagram, and the ten-pin is the lower right edge of the drawing.
(inside the red box)

trailer.png

MB should be able to supply your choice of 10-pin to whatever...

--dick

Trampoline

I can only speak from my experience as a structural steel welder, but I would strongly recommend not buying Chinese made steel products that are intended to be used around yourself, or others when safety should be considered traveling at roadway speeds with potential unintended load angles/vibrations. I've seen many Chinese steel shackles, and wire slings need to be retired early long before the American/Canadian steel products with equivalent rating in the 2-5 Ton range.

Kajtek1

As a welder you should know difference between mild steel used in hitches and heat-treated steel used in shackles?
Quite different animals

Wind

Just mounted a Curt hitch (6000lb/600lb) on my
2019. Ordered on Amazon ($200). Took about 10 minutes to install. Very snug fit. Also purchased and installed a tekonsha OEM wiring harness and controller. I can’t count the number of controllers I have installed and this is by far the easiest I’ve ever experienced.

randymacbc

Yup, plugs into a 7way receptacle..
So is there a plug in 7 way recepatcle available from Mercedes or after market? You wouldn't have a part number would you. When to the local Chrysler dealer but they no longer sell Mercedes parts and MB dealer is an hour away.

Top Bottom