On board air?

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I had HF oil less compressors years ago and it went to garbage after few weeks.
But about 15 years ago I bought campbell hausfeld quiet compressor- at the time to use it on my bus conversion for pumping air suspension without rattling the Detroit.
When the compressor is not very fast, over the years I liked it lightweight and quiet running + pumping air without oil droplets, so it become my primary compressor for pumping the tires (even 80 psi on Superduty). The compressor runs on 400W Ford-mounted on board inverter.
When the model I have is discontinued (after 15 years) this looks like replacement. https://www.campbellhausfeld.com/ai...ghtweight-quiet-dc010500.html?category_id=347
Looks similar:

$178 vs HF $112
125 psi vs HF 135 psi
1.2 CFM vs. HF .7 CFM
68 dba vs. HF 57 dba
29 lbs vs. HF 26 lbs.
1.3 gallon vs. HF 1 gallon.

CH will not fit in the cabinet space I have available.

Last edited:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
A hot ticket among the overlanding crowd at expeditionportal.com for a combination compressor/tank is/was the 12v Puma PD1006, which is a higher quality alternative to the linked Harbor Freight compressor:

For those who like the compressor but do not desire a tank, the compressor alone is P/N DE07.

The Puma is an excellent choice for those willing to make it fit. @sprinterPaul and I installed the Puma on our vans. I fit both the compressor and the tank in the rear drivers side corner. Controls mounted at rear door and also on my driver’s overhead console. Plenty of air to fill my 33” tires or my SUP. More details on my build thread.

EE8399F3-5770-4CA5-A838-6EDFA1730E19.jpeg73C0F1B7-425E-49A8-8C76-8D831CEEF172.jpeg

Last edited:

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Hi, I'm thinking of getting the Viair 400H or the Puma DE07 and putting it under my MB swivel seat.

Any issues with mounting either there?
And accessibility to the Viair's power switch via the side hatch on the swivel seat base?

The Puma DE07 seems like it could be a very tight fit under the swivel... anyone tried?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Twindaddy

Hi, I'm thinking of getting the Viair 400H or the Puma DE07 and putting it under my MB swivel seat.
This is the route I went, but with a Viair compressor and separate 1.5 gallon tank. The only concern I had was airflow across the heat sink on the compressor, but it has yet to run long enough to be an issue. Takes about two minutes to fill the tank from empty. I use a pressure switch on the tank, and also wired a power switch to the door side of the seat base, as well as a quick connect. I used the plastic door for these since I wasn't sure of the viability at the time, but the setup has worked out well.

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
I had a Viair 300P for a few years, and recently upgraded to the TLC Pro and absolutely love it. The automatic shutoff, air tank, and the presta adapter has been perfect for our usage. I didn't realize how much I needed compressed air for cleaning in my life. I looked at the ARB Twin, but it's 20 lbs and quite expensive. This little 0.25 gallon tank has been perfect for seating tires and using compressed air to clean.

TheGearDoctor

We squeezed a Puma Model PD1012A into the cubby rear of DS wheel well in our 144. It's a high volume solution in size and output. If you do SUP's or other inflatables, this model works well, though we ran a feed line to a rear bumper port for convenience.

Top Bottom