Would appreciate your advice on tail light replacement (*photos)

vanlifeof3cats

Hello everyone! Nice to meet you.

We have recently purchased a Sprinter van (2014 Mercedes Sprinter 2500 Size: 170).

Upon the arrival we have noticed several issues with the vehicle- despite it having passed the safety test (somehow!).

The seller has kindly agreed to fix the van and actually finished fixing some issues, such as:

check engine light / small cracks on the windshield / lack of windshield wipers / dysfunctional rear view camera

This week we just received our van after the repair and we were finally happy with the vehicle...

UNTIL

very strong wind came and forced our front door to slam into the tail light of the Sprinter (*photos), that was just parked in front for a load-up...

It happened while I was moving a heavy box, and I saw it happen just as I got to the fully opened door!

The wind was so strong that even after this minor crash, it still forced and held the door opened- and I could not shut it (let alone move it!) until the wind died down.

I would like to ask the Sprinter veterans of this forum for some advice:

1. Is it advisable to order a tail light replacement part from Amazon.ca? It sells for around CAD $140, and seller answer confirms that it comes with 3 clips. Reviews are somewhat promising...

2. Has anyone here tried and successfully replaced a tail light at home? I have found some videos on YouTube, showing how it's done- and based on that I seem to have the necessary tools.

3. Anyone based in Canada: how much would a mechanic charge IF I bought the replacement part, and only asked for the labour?

Currently the Sprinter displays a warning sign "Right Tail Lamp", but only when the car starts.

I would really like to fix this issue ASAP, but cannot afford an expensive mechanic service at the moment. Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thank you very much for your attention and time.

Attachments

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Inside the rear of your van you can clip out the circuit board holding the bulbs, see if one is damaged/blown or if board got warped in accident. Don't touch or straighten the board while plugged in, you may cause expensive computer problems! All electrical repairs require battery disconnection or item unplugging 1st.
Check if the Amazon seller's comes with the back circuit board if needed.
Ones without board are $100 on eBay
Some mechanics will not work with customer supplied parts, they want the markup profits.
Some will charge $100 or 1hr. Mercedes may charge $500 parts& labour
Personally I'd place clear 3M tape over cracks , get all lights working and consider it 'christened' for good luck.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I'd be tempted to try a fairly liquid styrene cement applied very carefully (think small hypodermic syringe) ... the nature of the crack may pull it in via capillary action.

As for the sick bulb, have someone stand back there and turn on the various lights (parking, brake, turn) to see which (if any) bulb is out. Changing bulbs is one maintenance task *every* owner should learn how to perform since they can blow at any time.

The operator's manual covers bulb replacement (circa page 103 in the 2015 manual, available here: http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2015_Mercedes_Benz_Sprinter_Operators_Manual.pdf
(the 2014 manual is there: http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/ too, but i just looked in the 2015 for the page number).

Replacement of the plastic is usually only two or four screws from inside the car.
Here's an intimidating 2007 service manual, which may cover it: http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2007-sprinter-service-information.pdf

--dick

vanlifeof3cats

Hi NelsonSprinter,

thank you so very much for this detailed and informative reply!

I have noted down your instructions on the circuit board- which will come in very handy when trying out the repair myself.

Amazon seller and buyers confirm that the $140 part comes with the circuit board and bulb holders, but I will look on eBay for a $100 board-less part, if need be.

Given the high cost I might just go ahead and "christen" it with some beautiful 3M tape, as you have suggested. Of course, I will test and/or fix the lights before the taping ceremony!

Last edited:

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Hi NelsonSprinter,

thank you so very much for this detailed and informative reply!

I have noted down your instructions on the circuit board- which will come in very handy when trying out the repair myself.

Amazon seller and buyers confirm that the $140 part comes with the circuit board and bulb holders, but I will look on eBay for a $100 board-less part, if need be.

Given the high cost I might just go ahead and "christen" it with some beautiful 3M tape, as you have suggested. Of course, I will text and/or fix the lights before the taping ceremony!
Being a “Old” Crow and not liking to “re-do” a repair. (It rubs my feathers the wrong way!) I’d not muck around doing a shade tree repair as tempting as it may be. Just spring for a new light assembly with the LED set and save time, cash and cuss words. Once and done. Keep it simple and your feathers smooth.:thumbup:

vanlifeof3cats

Hi Dick,

thank you so much for your reply!

I am really glad I posted my question on this forum, as you have newly introduced me to "styrene cement" as a possible solution- which I previously didn't know existed!

Since I am unfamiliar with this cement/glue and how to work it properly, I will do some research before ordering one.

Thank you for reminding me about the manual books! I just found it on the page 103 of the 2014 printout (page 106-107 for rear bulbs and tail lamps). Nicely illustrated and very useful!

Today I will test for all the lights and determine what kind of repair is actually needed.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Ever seen plastic model airplane, car, truck, ship models in toy stores?
They all use styrene cement. Comes in a tiny "toothpaste tube"-like container (with a much narrower tip for application)

For that matter, acetone works too, but is really liquid and runny (versus the well-controlled goo of styrene cement)

Another thing that can cause quick blinking is the "ground (brown) wire losing the connection between the lamp unit and the Sprinter's frame ... where it screws onto the metal it may have gotten rusty. If that's the cause, a new lamp unit won't fix it.
If this is the cause ... if you do your "with a friend" bulb test *at night* you may see the *other* side's brake light bulb dimly flashing in cadence with the fast-left bulb.

BadGround.png

--dick

Last edited:

Camper223

I just wanted to share my experience changing out my tail light assembly. I did get one off Amazon, but I managed to get it when there were a few Warehouse deals so it ended up being 65$ CAD. If you don't already know this trick, check out the little text under the full price, it sometimes says "used" . What this really means is that the box was opened and you will receive a new one in the mail for about half price!!
Anyone with a screwdriver can replace it, it's really easy. I also recommend replacing it with a new unit and keeping the old one in the garage for spare parts. Not worth the hasstle to mess around with it.
That's my 2cents. Message me if you need any help. I bet you can find one for cheaper than 140$ cad , try rock Auto too

Top Bottom